Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Oct 10, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #5,521 of 10,937

Quote:
Thanks guys, I used to find Lian Li's ugly. Just a black box I thought, but given time I think we all grow to love that black box. It's just so beautifully clean. It is however huge like that atcs840 I mean just look at how it dwarfs my supposedly large g110 and my 24" monitors which some consider already quite big. 

My HAF 992 is every bit as chunky.. maybe even wider looking. It's not as tall though. I'm pretty sure my keyboard is bigger than yours :p At least it would be with a wrist rest.  Your mousepad is slightly larger.. I was using a very small mousepad, but now that I have a larger one, I find myself wanting even more room occasionally. But, it wouldn't fit on my desktop

Oct 10, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #5,523 of 10,937
Just a black box I thought, but given time I think we all grow to love that black box.
A lot of people like LEDs, windows, and the HAF gamer style. I like a black monolith. I built a rig for my bro with a 912, very efficient and easy to work with. This 840 is so big it needs a bunch of fans just to control airflow. The stock setup had two exhaust fans on the top but the frontmost one would exhaust incoming air from the front before it had a chance to cool the components, lol.

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #5,525 of 10,937
Hennyo wanted some more pictures and a quick specs rundown of the project.
 from this http://www.head-fi.org/t/397869/pictures-of-your-computer-rigs-post-them-here/4125#post_7503438
Was going to add in a passive Video card but I use Ubuntu, which helps me avoid GAMING
bigsmile_face.gif
, makes it harder anyhow.
That and the onboard ATI4200HD video is sufficient for anything I need currently.
Basically

-AMD Quad AM3 Athlon 620 @2.6 stock, overclocks well.
-4GB OCZ Platinum 7-7-7-20 @1333
-Modded FSP Zen400 Fanless PSU,removed anodizing and blue paint, replaced thermal compound at the heatsink points with a whole tube of Arctic Cooling MX-4 compound, got it professionally polished at sheet metal shop ( I love FSP ) It has no fans but a massive solid aluminum heatsink as the top/bottom whatever side it is on. Absolutely quiet no hum at all.
-Scythe Orochi CPU 10 heatpipe Heatsink- THE BIGGEST thing I could find that looked industrial and had passive abilities. And it's BIG.
       Think it was one of the last ones for sale in existence
-Thermalright HR-05-SLI/IFX High Riser Northbridge Cooler with good passive ability. Not that it's really needed over the stock one these days but hey it's shiny.
-Coolermaster ( gutted ) Elite 100 MiniITX/mATX Case
-Seagate 3.5" 7200rpm I TB storage
-W.D. 3.5" 7200rpm 500 GB main ( yeah I needed a drive FAST so I had to get it.. coming out later ) This piece of junk is the only thing that makes any sound. The old Seagate I fried by using a bad cable didn't make a peep.
-Pioneer DVR115DBK in stealth drive bay housing which hides all extra PSU cables
-Flexible led light strip cut to smaller pieces
-2 stacked passive harddrive coolers
-Enzotech forged copper mosfet coolers/ also some aluminum videocard BFG ram coolers.
-Chrome glass shelf feet for rear supports
-Plexi and black Sintra plastic sheets for front faces. Was originally going to face them with mirrored plexi but plans change
-Custom cut and milled solid Western Maple burl slab 1 1/4" thick I got myself
-Gigabyte GA-785GMT-UD2H mATX mobo
Bunch of things like wiring, junction bars, 90 degree power cable, stainless mesh, silver industrial grounding straps,
     badge from a 1940's-50's stove and fridge, chrome showerhead covers and front pillar/leg, brackets, led's, drill bits, paint,
     monitor wall mount brackets, TIME and LASTLY> frustration.

This thing definitely took the wind out of my modding sails for a while.

A few pics to get some idea. Of course most things aren't completely fit-and-finished in these build pics.
Apologize if there are some duplicates I lose track of this.There's some others obviously at the first link to the original post.

here's the size over top of the MATX board

Maybe I'll get a decent camera and do up some better angles and quality. No more headphone purchases so that may happen.

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #5,526 of 10,937

Quote:
A lot of people like LEDs, windows, and the HAF gamer style. I like a black monolith. I built a rig for my bro with a 912, very efficient and easy to work with. This 840 is so big it needs a bunch of fans just to control airflow. The stock setup had two exhaust fans on the top but the frontmost one would exhaust incoming air from the front before it had a chance to cool the components, lol.

When I first got my case, I put in lights and the whole 9. I really got tired of it and replaced all my LED fans, with regular non LED fans. I prefer the sleek look now. 

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #5,528 of 10,937
THAT'S THE NAME OF IT! I'd seen a case like this and thought "Where in the hell have I seen this design before?!" Thank you for completing my thought!

Quote:
@nick n, that's really cool. At first I thought it was a Thermaltake Level 10.

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #5,529 of 10,937

Quote:
I like my glowy red fans :)

I'm not that much of a fan of blue led's though.. those are too bright. The red just gives it a nice glow.

One of the main reasons a lot of people use blue LEDs are because the light receptors in your eyes are particularly sensitive to blue, stops the production of melatonin...

Keeps me awake anyway :) 

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #5,530 of 10,937
Hey, Draygonn, how the the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD sounds? It's a huge improvement from onboard sound? I'm thinking about getting one.

Quote:

Dell Ultrasharp U2711 and Alienware OptX AW2310 120Hz | i7 950 @ 4.0 w/H70 | Cooler Master ATCS 840 Black | Sparkle Calibre GTX480's in SLI | Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | Corsair HX850 | 6G Kingston HyperX 7-7-7-21 | OCZ Vertex 2 60G + Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB | Steelseries 6Gv2 & XAI | Creative X-Fi Titanium HD | Buttkicker Gamer2 | Stealth Modded Blu Ray Drive and Fan Controller

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #5,531 of 10,937
I had to do a ridiculous amount of futzing around to get this to work. My college rig in my cramped college apartment room (it's a double, so I have a roommate whose desk you can make out at the edge of mine):

The audio system is a MacBook Air 13" 2011 running iTunes with Amarra through the line-out to the Peachtree Audio Nova Aux 1. The Nova feeds a pair of Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Stradas as nearfield monitors. Not pictured: SVS SB-12 Plus subwoofer in my living room, which I need to figure out what I'm going to do with (too big, too heavy, too good).

TV is a Panasonic TC-L32S1 32" 1080P IPS-Alpha, connected via a Thunderbolt-to-HDMI cable. Logitech G700 mouse is hooked up to the desktop machine via USB which charges it while I use it wirelessly with the Air. Keyboard is a Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard connected wirelessly to the MBA, and it sits atop a Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard that's used with the desktop.

Due to size/desk space limitations the desktop machine is precariously perched on top of a wooden board supported by repurposed Lovan Affiniti II 29" speaker stands. The speaker stands used to hold Onix Reference 1 MKIIs but I figured I might as well employ them to make this setup work.
Desktop Specs:
i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz with Corsair H60
Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Micro
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
eVGA GTX 480 @ 840/1680/2000MHz with Zalman VF3000F
Antec EarthWatts EA-650 Green PSU
Antec Three Hundred Illusion

Hooked up via USB to the Nova. Due to size constraints I'm going to be selling the desktop to a friend and building a new, smaller one.

Unfortunately I still won't be able to use the USB of the MBA since both ports are taken up by the wireless receivers. -_- (Logitech won't let the G700 work with unified receivers like the one on the Wireless Solar Keyboard, bah.)

Another picture showing the very limited space I had to work with, with a cameo appearance by the JH13s. It's hard to tell from the picture but the Strada are literally at the edge of the table (wooden board with the speaker stands is slightly lower). It was possible to build a great-sounding system in this space, but only the Gallo Stradas could do it (unconventional design means they don't care about the suboptimal spacing and acoustics that nigh any other monitor with a traditional cabinet would be tremendously finicky with). The shape of the Stradas made it barely possible to do this.

The resolution is disgustingly good, comparable to the JH13s. I prefer my JH13s where substantial bass response is needed (50Hz and below) but the Strada throw an unbelievable soundstage and such tremendous resolving power and "speaker sound" that they obviated the need for a pair of HD 800s, T1s, LCD-2s, et cetera.

Long live College-Fi. 
smile.gif

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #5,532 of 10,937
WOW! Clever dude! Yes, long live College-Fi!

Quote:
I had to do a ridiculous amount of futzing around to get this to work. My college rig in my cramped college apartment room:

The audio system is a MacBook Air 13" 2011 running iTunes with Amarra through the line-out to the Peachtree Audio Nova Aux 1. The Nova feeds a pair of Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Stradas as nearfield monitors. Not pictured: SVS SB-12 Plus subwoofer in my living room, which I need to figure out what I'm going to do with (too big, too heavy, too good).

TV is a Panasonic TC-L32S1 32" 1080P IPS-Alpha, connected via a Thunderbolt-to-HDMI cable. Logitech G700 mouse is hooked up to the desktop machine via USB which charges it while I use it wirelessly with the Air. Keyboard is a Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard connected wirelessly to the MBA, and it sits atop a Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard that's used with the desktop.

Due to size/desk space limitations the desktop machine is precariously perched on top of a wooden board supported by repurposed Lovan Affiniti II 29" speaker stands. The speaker stands used to hold Onix Reference 1 MKIIs but I figured I might as well employ them to make this setup work.
Desktop Specs:

Hooked up via USB to the Nova. Due to size constraints I'm going to be selling the desktop to a friend and building a new, smaller one.

Unfortunately I still won't be able to use the USB of the MBA since both ports are taken up by the wireless receivers. -_- (Logitech won't let the G700 work with unified receivers like the one on the Wireless Solar Keyboard, bah.)

Another picture showing the very limited space I had to work with, with a cameo appearance by the JH13s. It's hard to tell from the picture but the Strada are literally at the edge of the table (wooden board with the speaker stands is slightly lower). It was possible to build a great-sounding system in this space, but only the Gallo Stradas could do it (unconventional design means they don't care about the suboptimal spacing and acoustics that nigh any other monitor with a traditional cabinet would be tremendously finicky with). The shape of the Stradas made it barely possible to do this.

The resolution is disgustingly good, comparable to the JH13s. I prefer my JH13s where substantial bass response is needed (50Hz and below) but the Strada throw an unbelievable soundstage and such tremendous resolving power and "speaker sound" that they obviated the need for a pair of HD 800s, T1s, LCD-2s, et cetera.

Long live College-Fi. 
smile.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #5,533 of 10,937

Quote:

Is that a 6000dollars pair of speakers?

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #5,534 of 10,937
A very nice setup!

Quote:
I had to do a ridiculous amount of futzing around to get this to work. My college rig in my cramped college apartment room (it's a double, so I have a roommate whose desk you can make out at the edge of mine):

Desktop Specs:

Long live College-Fi. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back