Pics - Single Power Square Wave
Apr 28, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #46 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mini-Tube should have enough power.
plainface.gif

That's good to know. Also looking at the likelihood of a smaller power supply and a battery option down the road for the Mini-Tube is nice. However, given the small size of the Mini-Tube, there looks to be no room for balanced ins/outs. Darn compromises!
wink.gif

Jeff

Apr 29, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #48 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still holding out hope for the Squarewave
wink.gif

What are you hoping for?

I think I may drop my interest in finding something transportable that can power the K1000s. I have R10s and 650s as well as the K1000s and I just recently have been giving serious thought to picking up balanced 701s. So, I'd have some listening options even without being able to use the K1000s. Doing so also widens the possible choices for an amp. If Mikhail can do a Square Wave XL with a DAC, that may be the ticket for me. One box would be preferable for transportable use as would a balanced design given that all my full-sized cans are balanced.

Jeff

Apr 29, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #49 of 74
That the Squarewave can power K1000s. I have K1000s and that amp fits my needs very well with respect to other areas.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #51 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DIY looks and generic power brick for a thousand dollars? Mikhail makes great sounding equipment but c'mon!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I don't think it looks that bad, although I would say that some other amps do fit that description quite well.

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #52 of 74
Definitely dont dig the look nor the floorwart.

May 2, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #53 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That the Squarewave can power K1000s. I have K1000s and that amp fits my needs very well with respect to other areas.

Did you get to try the XL at the meet with K1000s? I had a brief phone chat with Mikhail and plan on going a lot more in depth the next time we talk as I have a list of questions. I asked him briefly about that issue and he thought that the XL should have enough output power for the K1000s but it sounded like he may not have tried them with the Square Wave yet.

I'm looking hared at the XL as a transportable solution for me. I'll be asking him about the DAC input connections, how including a DAC might impact inputs/outputs (internal space, external panel area limitations, etc), specific pricing for an XL with a DAC (sounded like from him that the SW's with a DAC he had done were single-ended), etc. I'll also ask him about the dual pots as I could easily see that being an issue, especially given that the front panel is clear and absent of any markings to use as reference points to sync up both channels.

Jeff

May 2, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #54 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll also ask him about the dual pots as I could easily see that being an issue, especially given that the front panel is clear and absent of any markings to use as reference points to sync up both channels.

i wonder how he came upon this idea. it seems a bit odd.

May 9, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #55 of 74
My thoughts are that one or the other controls the volume when balanced cans are plugged in, but both are separate when separate cans are plugged into either side. Could be way off, but that seems to make more sense than having a volume pot for each channel.

As to the looks of the Square Wave, I think it looks pretty good compared to some stuff out there. For the price, though, I think it could look a little more refined...anyhow, it looks way better in person than in pictures. My main issues with it are the 1/8 jack (almost nothing can fit into it), the volume control (I like smooth controls, and it is kind of sticky), and the way the RCA inputs/outputs are colored (both inputs are white, both outputs are red...just a minor thing to me).

May 9, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #56 of 74
Don't dig the looks either, but that's just the beginning. The HR-2 has similar chassis format (ie two box), but much sleeker looking. The pricing is also slightly on the high side: The MPX3-SLAM can be had for $1.2k, MPX3 for $1k, PPX3-SLAM-6SN7 for $900, Raptor for $1.2k and the HR-2 for $900. I know I haven't taken into account sound quality so I'm not going to say whether its good value or not. If the sound is really that good, then maybe the seemingly high price can be overlooked.

May 9, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #57 of 74
The Square Wave’s that we introduced at the national meet were advanced prototypes and the production versions are complete. In addition, we will be offering several options such as chassis color, faceplate options, capacitor upgrades, and an additional DAC. These options will be available shortly as we introduce the full production models.

May 9, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #58 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by petrie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Square Wave’s that we introduced at the national meet were advanced prototypes and the production versions are complete. In addition, we will be offering several options such as chassis color, faceplate options, capacitor upgrades, and an additional DAC. These options will be available shortly as we introduce the full production models.

It all makes sense now.

May 16, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #60 of 74
Just an update to report that my listening for the Square Wave is wrapping up and that my review will most likely appear on the StereoMojo site next week! Thanks for waiting (im)patiently guys, 'twas appreciated.
tongue.gif

Oh and if anyone from Single Power is reading this, it would probably help immensely for the review if the Square Wave was formerly announced in the MoT forum soon too, so I have something to make a possible reference to.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back