Pick my next destination on my Head-Fi journey
Jul 2, 2009 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

darkswordsman17

500+ Head-Fier
Favorite headphones so far: ATH-W5000, Phonak PFE (grey filters), Denon D2000, in that order.

So, choose from the poll or throw out another suggestion. Portability isn't a necessity. Open headphones are out of the question, they just don't work for me (W5000 and D2000 isolate enough though). Musicality, speed, and detail are big favorites. Soundstage is nice but as long as its not real closed in I'm fine (Phonak are fine soundstage wise). I also don't like really upfront mids.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 20
Without knowing much of your setting, I suggest getting the Beyer dt770 600ohm Manufaktur, for a closed can, i think nothing comes close for their price/value.

I tried the two denon's you mention and to my view are to boomy and with comparable less definition than the beyers, however the d7000 might be much better

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What doesn't work for you with open headphones? Which ones have you tried?

I'm trying to remember, a couple of Stax, some Sennheisers (HD580/595), I think Audio-Technica. Its not a sound quality issue with open, for whatever reason the lack of isolation ruins music listening for me. I don't listen in particularly noisy environments (both the Denon and W5000 have enough isolation for me). I know its weird, but its the only real dealbreaker for me.

I think really what I'm missing is good bass, although to be honest short of L3000s I don't know that I'll find it. I liked the quality and texture of W5000 but it lacked solid impact, and while the stock Denons had nice visceral slam it bloomed too much which made it sound slow. I'm absolutely not looking for boomy bass. Overly lush midrange doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for either.

Oh and I just kinda threw the Westone 3 in there, I notice there's some other IEMs that might be worth considering. I'd think to go customs but you're kinda out of luck if you go through the process and its not really what you want.

I forgot to mention ~$500 or lower.

Hmm, I wonder if the Ultrasone Pro 900 might be another to consider?

Source/amp is kinda open, but will depend on what headphone I go with.

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've decided to go with the Westone 3s, as I think I'd like an aggressive sound at the moment. Now to figure out what source.

For home use?

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #11 of 20
Other. Why? I would vote that you listen to each of them and then decide for yourself.

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For home use?

Yeah, kinda kooky I know, but outside of these, there doesn't seem to be any closed headphones in this range ($200-500) really worth considering (already have tried W1000). Maybe the Pro900s. Out of the higher end IEMs, the W3s are the ones that appealed to me most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other. Why? I would vote that you listen to each of them and then decide for yourself.

Great point, but that's why I phrased it as my next destination and ultimately what I've been doing all along.

I decided against the ESWs because I'd have to mod them to use circumaural pads and I don't remember W5000 pads being $100.

Of course it begs the question, why not just get W5000? I admit that's a good one and if there was one available I'd go for it (spoiled by used prices so I'm not going to pay full price).

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 20
My ER4S with a cheap Edcor 2020 amp beats the pants off everything else I've heard...though admittedly my experience with amps is limited. Unfortunately, very last night I accidentally plugged the power cable into the headphone jack and smelled something funny and a 9V on the tongue thing going on with the amp's metal plate. They were not thinking strait when they made all the connectors identical on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back