Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Jun 22, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #196 of 1,072
Quote:
These are only giant killers with the proper parametric EQ.  They EQ like champs because the bass is already powerful and flat down to the 20s.  The treble peaks can also be tamed.

Straight out of the box, they have a fun sound (V-shape FR) with some serious deep bass.  A true bargin.

Not sure why this thread derailed into Chinese worker conditions, lol!

My thoughts exactly, all the way down to the last sentence haha.

Just got them today.  When I first tried them, I had low expectations admittedly (and I tend to hate V-shape signatures), but I was literally taken aback by how these sounded.  I had been using a pair of Sony Piiq MDRPQ6's for gym use, and was quite impressed with those for bang/buck value, but the Philips are clearly a step or two above.  After some rough EQ tweaking based on JB's suggestions, the mids really came out, and while I think it may be a stretch to say that these will beat many $200+ sets even after EQ, they can clearly hold their own with many $50 pairs or even better them.

In regards to the whole Ety comparison, I just did some quick A/Bing between a few pairs that I had around me and while I am too lazy to go into the details right now, on a relative scale in terms of overall SQ:

Overall SQ:
Ety HF5             - 10/10
SHE3580           - 8/10
Klipsch S3         - 6.5/10
MDR PQ6          - 5.5/10
Sony MDR EX10 - 2.5/10 (waste of $10)

While it won't be replacing my Ety's any time soon, they are great value and I already ordered another two pairs haha.  Definitely using one as a new gym pair.

Disclaimer: I am still a pretty big noob here and this is based on 15-20 minutes or so on each so take these ratings with a grain of salt (plus, the Philips had like 3hrs burn-in max).

As others mentioned, the stock tips are terrible and I am currently using extra tips provided from my TDK BA100.  The build quality also leaves much to be desired, but hey, it cost me $5 + shipping so no complaints really.

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #197 of 1,072
Quote:
Then... what do you find objectionable about Foxconn??
confused.gif

Joe, I'm going to answer that and then I'm going to leave this thread to the original discussion.

What I find objectionable about the APPLE/Foxconn mess is not Foxconn's treatment of its workforce, its the attempts by Apple Corp management to distance themselves from any alleged abuse perpetrated by a supplier - as this article explains, financially it just makes sense for them to stick with Foxconn:

http://pacificrimshots.com/is-apple-getting-a-bad-rap/

You mention working conditions - even though my focus was on intellectual property rights - and I've pasted the author's take below.

In Phillips' case, do they have any control over the ethics of their suppliers when the same 'beancounter imperative' is applied to their suppliers ? Can they afford to go elsewhere when they KNOW their competitors will have no such qualms ? The 'no-name' IEMs I mentioned in my original post in this thread were 7 dollars cheaper than the Phillips earphone - at that end of the market, is the Phillips branding worth 7 dollars ? 

The last factor is working conditions. Can Apple really affect working conditions at a Chinese company? They can have an influence but it is not their company so that influence is limited. The only real leverage they have is to take their business elsewhere, but there isn’t an “elsewhere” whose working conditions are substantially better than Foxconn’s or that can offer the same price, quality, productivity and set up time. Apple’s leverage is severely limited; all they can do is address specific problems as they become aware of them.

Adios and good night.

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #198 of 1,072
Sorry to be a dummy...  looking through the tutorials I see how to eq playing through a computer but aren't IEMs something more often used on an music player or phone?  How would I eq them on my android phone?

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #199 of 1,072
You'd need a parametric EQ.  Rockbox has a nice one for stuff like a Fuze or Ipod.  I have a Android phone but don't listen to IEMs with it..It really sounds like crap to me, ha ha!  I do plug it into my car stereo every once and a while for Google music or Audiogalaxy action.

There does appear to be a real demand for good EQ with Android.  From my limited reading you have either Rockbox or something called Neutron.  Sorry, i'm just now looking into int.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #201 of 1,072
Quote:
Sorry to be a dummy...  looking through the tutorials I see how to eq playing through a computer but aren't IEMs something more often used on an music player or phone?  How would I eq them on my android phone?

You can search for "Music Volume EQ" by K&K design

It's got a simple but functional 5 band EQ, not very scientific but playing around with the EQ, I heard an improvement from the SHE380. The ability to save presets is very handy if you got lots of different IEMs.

JB's tutorials makes use of a computer as most everybody has one, so after learning the concepts, we just have to apply it to an android parametric EQ.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #202 of 1,072
Well, I decided to jump on the bandwagon and bought a set of these phones.  Paid a little less than $8 (including tax) for the SHE3584 model at a local TJ Maxx. All I can say is WOW!  For $8 these are unbelievable.  I did a side by side with my TF 10's using Sony hybrid tips on both, EQ'd with a Cowon D2+.  My ears do not hear $90 difference between these phones (I got the TF 10's for $98 on an Amazon Gold Box special a couple of years ago or so).  Still prefer the TF 10's, but not by much.  If these things hold up over time, I believe that they could be one of the best deals in headphone history.  Just my 2 cents. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #203 of 1,072
Quote:
Well, I decided to jump on the bandwagon and bought a set of these phones.  Paid a little less than $8 (including tax) for the SHE3584 model at a local TJ Maxx. All I can say is WOW!  For $8 these are unbelievable.  I did a side by side with my TF 10's using Sony hybrid tips on both, EQ'd with a Cowon D2+.  My ears do not hear $90 difference between these phones (I got the TF 10's for $98 on an Amazon Gold Box special a couple of years ago or so).  Still prefer the TF 10's, but not by much.  If these things hold up over time, I believe that they could be one of the best deals in headphone history.  Just my 2 cents. 

Aren't they great? What do you think of the bass compared to TF10?

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #204 of 1,072
Aren't they great? What do you think of the bass compared to TF10?

To my ear, the Philips was right up there with it. Deep and especially smooth come to mind.

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #206 of 1,072
I took the rubber tip off one side to clean it, and it's worse than a slicked pig to get back on there! I have given up twice now. Can anyone give advice on this simple matter. I feel like a mentally incompetent person.

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #207 of 1,072
Um, put on the tip at an angle to the nozzle so that half of the hole fits in, then push really hard as you rotate the tip to be perpendicular with the tip opening again.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 27, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #208 of 1,072
More or less approach the nozel coming in side ways with the tip then flick it over. You want to get a small section to grab on it's side before you start pushing it over.

if you can't get it, heat the tip up in some boiled water.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #210 of 1,072
Hi

I am long time reader (i am from Panama, Central America, sorry for my bad english).
I have a few headphones\earphones  (MP 8320, HTF600, Senn Hd 280Pro, Koss KSC75, JVC Fx35, Fx101,  Beats Pro (dont ask!!), Senn`s 205.etcetc)  and i am not a sound expert.

From the box this things sound veerrry good, has that V shapped sound thats been told before.  I can be wrong, but i can hear more details on my Mp 8320, they have more mids and more detail, can i be wrong here?

But i am loving this Phillips, amazing for the price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back