Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 1, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #496 of 15,268
An amp or DAC will only do so much to help a headphone... The core sound is there with whatever decent and neutral gear you use...
I personally really liked the X1 on all my sources from portable DAPs to desktop setups... Especially great for gaming.
The general definition applied to me - strong bass response, slightly recessed midrange and a nicely extended treble. Great soundstage, good separation and very good imaging. A slight rise in resolution/clarity would certainly be welcome w/ the X2

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #497 of 15,268

Seriously, get a proper good matching amp for X1 and Your "muddy" & treble problem goes away. Like I have told many times already, X1 need better cable (not all good low-impedance cables seem to fit well btw) and good matching amp/dac to sound great.

I was planning to buy an X1 or X2 but if what you say is true I would reconsider.

I understand that most good headphones can benefit from a good amp/dac, but to say that the X1 needs such equipment more than other headphones in its category is an issue to me.

Changing the cable on the other hand is an easy fix, and the X2 shouldn't have this problem to begin with. Could the cable alone be responsible for Jimmy's negative experience?

That post was meant in context about Samsung S3 and a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi 5.1 soundcard being used to test X1. 
X1 does not scale much from amping but that little makes X1 faults gone, for me at least. Main thing affecting sound being "muffled" though was high impedance stock cable.
I don`t know how long Jimmy80 "burned in" his X1 but imho X1 needs at least around 200h usage to settle down (as baycode also thinks about X2) which brings bass & kick littlebit tighter and also littlebit improvement in overall clarity. I`m not trying to defend X1, contrary, I agree with its "faults". At first I was also disappointed in X1 sound which I also found littlebit muffled, overly warm and muddy. I listened them for few hours at first and compared them with my heavily modified HD-681 and I didn`t have "wow" effect I was hoping for. I had read about stock cable impedance issue and changed it to test difference and it was noticeable even on first listening hours. Difference I was hearing was also confirmed later by cable measurements - stock cable had way too high impedance. I decided to put those cans away and just let them "burn in" for about week without listening (yes I checked in for some brief moments to hear how they were doing but didn`t listen and analyze them). After about 100h I noticed that it had changed somehow and left them burning for some more. After passing about 150h mark I started listening/comparing with them again and improvement was noticeable right away. Even my girlfriend said that they had changed and sounded different.
While burning in, I used Aune T1 @ +10dB gain, since @ 0dB it should give out ~1000mA according to specs and X1 max input should be around 500mA. @ +10dB Aune T1 outputs around 400mA. After "burn-in" period I tested different gain settings and found that +10dB sounded best out of them, making bass & kick tighter. 

The thing that I don`t like is ppl not considering those different nuances and going around "shouting" X1 being muffled and muddy like it`s "junk of all time". Sorry if I took it wrong way but for me Jimmy80 impressions seemed like this. There are many things to consider like source, amping, "burn-in", what cans are being compared to/ coming from, hearing & taste differences etc.
Everybody has their own subjective opinion and I respect that. Just don`t make it "truth" for everyone, especially if there are many ppl having "opposite" impressions. 
This all is just my subjective opinion and input about X1. If it helps someone, good. If not and someone doesn`t agree, fine, I really don`t care. Main thing is that I have found perfect setup for my ears and I don`t need to upgrade anymore :wink:  

Really, this was my last input about X1 in this thread. If not, I give moderator permit to ban me from this thread ;D

All-in-all, don`t forget to enjoy music! That`s why we all are here for! :wink:

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #499 of 15,268
The X1 really only needed q bit more control/speed in the bass. I thought everything else was top notch.

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #500 of 15,268
  Not sure if this is already known, but these are on amazon.com now but "temporarily out of stock". I placed an order anyway. They are going for $300 USD. The X1s are $267 for the time being, down from $275 a couple days ago.

Nice, preordered mine too. Can't wait till they release.

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #502 of 15,268

I was planning to buy an X1 or X2 but if what you say is true I would reconsider.

I understand that most good headphones can benefit from a good amp/dac, but to say that the X1 needs such equipment more than other headphones in its category is an issue to me.

Changing the cable on the other hand is an easy fix, and the X2 shouldn't have this problem to begin with. Could the cable alone be responsible for Jimmy's negative experience?

ah no the X1 is perfectly fine being used right out of an Ipod, Pc, or any portable amp like what I do, jimmy has been running around threads posting crap about the X1 sounding muddy, told him to measure impedance output on his gear which he ignored and continued posting about the X1. seriously dont care if the yamaha reciever is worth a million dollars if it makes the headphones sound like crap then its a no go with that pair. whats the purpose of changing the stock cable again? then he plugs the thing into the yamaha reciever... think about it.

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #503 of 15,268

ah no the X1 is perfectly fine being used right out of an Ipod, Pc, or any portable amp like what I do, jimmy has been running around threads posting crap about the X1 sounding muddy, told him to measure impedance output on his gear which he ignored and continued posting about the X1. seriously dont care if the yamaha reciever is worth a million dollars if it makes the headphones sound like crap then its a no go with that pair. whats the purpose of changing the stock cable again? then he plugs the thing into the yamaha reciever... think about it.

What is there to think about? really? I have tested several headphones side by side including the X1 on diffrent hardware. If the X1 demands special treatment that none of the other headphones need and its not explained by the manufactory, then its just dont worth my time. Why it demands special teatment or what that treatment would be is nothing I really care about, it fails on 4 totaly diffrent devices for us, that´s more then enouth.

And as I said several times, its more or less all about taste so just except that there is users that dont like the X1. If I stated my perception as facts, then I would understand you.

Why am I even writing about my experience with the X1 at all? Other then help users that might have simular taste as me I was hopen to get a obvious solution that I might have missed. But X1 is said to be a darker headphone and there is some users that recognize my perception. Lets just leave there and see if X2 could improve where I thinks X1 falls short.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #504 of 15,268
  What is there to think about? really? I have tested several headphones side by side including the X1 on diffrent hardware. If the X1 demands special treatment that none of the other headphones need and its not explained by the manufactory, then its just dont worth my time. Why it demands special teatment or what that treatment would be is nothing I really care about, it fails on 4 totaly diffrent devices for us, that´s more then enouth.

And as I said several times, its more or less all about taste so just except that there is users that dont like the X1. If I stated my perception as facts, then I would understand you.

Why am I even writing about my experience with the X1 at all? Other then help users that might have simular taste as me I was hopen to get a obvious solution that I might have missed. But X1 is said to be a darker headphone and there is some users that recognize my perception. Lets just leave there and see if X2 could improve where I thinks X1 falls short.

when you go around threads saying the X1 sounds like crap making it sound like a total fact isn't opinion anymore.

So did you measure the OI of your source hardwares? you didn't break the X1 and return it did you?

And the X1 sounded the same on all 4 different devices (post devices) that you tested like the other headphones (post headphones compared to) sounding the same on all 4 different devices? REALLY!?  yeah when you post BS all over of course people are going to notice.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #505 of 15,268

when you go around threads saying the X1 sounds like crap making it sound like a total fact and suggesting isn't opinion anymore.

So did you measure the OI of your source hardwares? you didn't break the X1 and return it did you?

And the X1 sounded the same on all 4 different devices (post devices) that you tested like the other headphones (post headphones compared to) sounding the same on all 4 different devices? REALLY!?  yeah when you post BS all over of course people are going to notice.

So we are really continuing this argument?

I have never said that it was a fact but instead my/our taste.

Why would I even considering measuring products that are mass market? Samsung S3? Yamaha RX-A1020? Have never heard of broken headphones due to mass market amps but I suspoe there is possibilities. And, I did not break any headphones and even if so, I would state it at return. The first thing I connected the X1 to was the Yamaha RX-A1020 that is only a year old.

As I have stated several times(and this should be known to you while you seem to have read all my posts?) there was a slite extension of the trebel on the Samsung S3 else I could not hear much diffrence. I did however do most of the testing at the Yamaha RX-A1020, the Computer and Sound Blaster X-Fi was only used for a couple of hours.

And BS? really? I state how we tested and what we compared to, I state our perception and in many posts I underline that this is our perception(like this would be somthing new to hi-fi neerds?). If you got a problem with it, why not just ignore it? Dont waste your time on it.

Dont make it more complicated then it is.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #506 of 15,268
Guys, please stop it. Move on. This is X2 thread! :wink:

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #507 of 15,268

Most users will probably just conect the headphones to a smartphone, computer or a receiver. I know that the amp will have its parmeters but you have to draw a reasonable line somewhere. This is what I used : 

I can add that some of the headphones was also tested on Samsung S3 and a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi 5.1 soundcard. The music tests stared with some Flac, high qulity Mp3 and then later on Spotify.

The headphone I hade for testing at my home was : Sennheiser Momentum, Sennheiser HD 598, Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 250ohm, Beyerdynamic DT880 Edition 250ohm, Philips Fidelio X1 and Philips Fidelio L2. The X1 was with out a doubt the most muffled of them all.

I have been using a pair of Philips HP890 for about 12 years(on/off) and never found anything withing the pricerange($100) that could replace them.  I got a pair of Monitor Audio RS8 speakers that I really like even if thay are a bit bass heavy(but clear).

I did test some others headphone on the run like Beyerdynomic Custom Pro, Audio Technica ATH-M50 and Sony MDR-1R but I would  not compare them in detail becouse it was just on the run(in store).

Wow! I never heard such things. I have the x1 and they are VERY CLEAR to my ears. I have many headphones (including the ath ad900 which are extremely clear but slightly grainy). They are more clearer than the hp598 and definitely not more muffled than the momentum. I'm thinking you got a defective pair. Why do you think the x1 is so  regarded as good sounding and highly reviewed by professionals? It's not because it's a muddy headphone. Trust me, if the x1 wasn't significantly clearer than the hd598 then hardly anyone would have heard about it. Have you tried to use a different cable? I heard the one that comes with the x1 darkens the sound up a little, I haven't tried it though.

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #509 of 15,268
  Not sure if this is already known, but these are on amazon.com now but "temporarily out of stock". I placed an order anyway. They are going for $300 USD. The X1s are $267 for the time being, down from $275 a couple days ago.

Thank you kind sir. I just placed an order. $155 in gift card value on my amazon account. Has amazon usa already had these and sent some out but now they're out of stock? Hopefully they're clear in the midrange like the HD600's I've tried. If not, I can sell them and get cash back somewhere instead of gift card balance.

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #510 of 15,268
I have to remind the upcoming X2 owners: please read the burn-in period updates on my review page. My 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back