Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Nov 17, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #454 of 1,061
I'm a bit worried that these headphones could actually be superior to my beloved he-500. So impressive.

You've tried both??

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #456 of 1,061
Excellent review Baycode! I just received my X2s this week from Amazon in the US. I listened to them once or twice after unboxing at work and thought they were pleasant enough. They didn't quite knock my socks off though, and I began lamenting that I'd made it to the precipice of "diminishing returns" in audio gear. At first I thought they were a perfectly worthy addition to a headphone stable including my NAD HP50s, Sennheiser HD600s, Dennon AHD 2000s et al but they didn't really seem to differentiate.

Today I've begun listening to them in earnest. Right now I am doing the obligatory run through Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms" an album I know inside and out on the HD600 and AHD 2000s.

The X2s are Incredible! Listening to music on them I no longer feel any concerns about how they compare to the other headphones I mentioned. This is because it is just genuinely, rhapsodically gratifying listening to music on them.

I was persuaded to pre-order them from Amazon a few weeks ago based on Tyll's review on Inner Fidelity. Today as I found myself genuinely enjoying albums I've heard a million times before as though I were hearing then anwew I started browsing the web to read even more about these amazing headphones. That's when I found this thread.

Kudos to Baycode. From my perspective your impressions are spot on and not exaggerated in the least. These are standout headphones. For others who are wondering about these headphones, based on my benchmark headphones, listed here, I can't recommend these enough.

I really don't *want* to find myself typing they are "better" than the HD600, a possibility alluded to on Inner Fidelity... but I do think the presentation of the hi frequencies is different, and to my ears more natural. The sound stage is much wider, and the bass is much more present without sounding remotely hyped... all this with less than 20 hours "burn in" / "brain in" (whatever it is due to, speaking for myself, subjectively, I do find I tend to react differently to headphones over time).

Based on my palate for comparison I'd suggest subjectively I experience these as a bit of a hybrid between the Dennon AHD2000 and the Senn HD600. They have have the weight of the Dennon's, with things located certainly and positioned firmly within the soundstage ... all with perhaps a hair less bloat and a touch more control in the bottom end, and they have the "motion", the openness and, more importantly, the mids of the HD600.

Again I have much further to go with them in the ... "burn in" / "brain in" adaptive cycle... but as of the moment I think these headphones are so impressive I thought I would chime in. Since these headphones are only just now reaching those of us who pre-ordered it occurred to me there might be some value to providing a testimonial.

Headphone junkies with sufficient disposable income to check these out will be rewarded with the genuine joys that accompany falling in love with a new pair of headphones all over again. For my part ... it's just really a magical thing hearing a headphone that makes me stop and listen to things all over again.

They're great. Enjoy a pair as able. Cheers!

Sorry for late reply, welcome to the world of X2 mate, It will only get better with burn-in up until 300h. Completely settles afterwards. Right now I am out of my body while listening to Olafur Arnalds through X2, don't ask me how I type :wink:

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #457 of 1,061

Thanks Baycode. Yeah... I wrote a follow post about how these are on par with several other great headphones... but they do seem to be pulling ahead of the Sennheisers in a way that's hard to ignore anymore. The sound staging on the X2s is easily the most impressive I've ever heard. They are pulling ahead of all my other phones now with the possible exception of the NAD, which are sealed and present things differently, though not "better". Still have yet to hit the 300hr mark (job, life...) but yup... they are getting better / I am enjoying them more and more. Soundstage fans.. think these could be your dream phones. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #458 of 1,061
@Zennheiserie8: Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms" is incredibly powerful on the X1's. You'd think Philips had designed these 'phones for that album. Incredible.

Great write-up btw and thanks.

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #459 of 1,061
I've owned the L2 for a few months, great HP. I've ordered X2 from Amazon Italy and it'll arrive in 2-3 days. I'll make a comparison and probably sell the inferior one.

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #460 of 1,061
But don`t rush on giving judgement on X2 ...they probably need littlebit time to settle in and pads to take proper shape.

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #464 of 1,061

...for sure, the inferior one will not be the X2 ... it is a great, fun & joy HP ....

For me X2 is the inferior for sure, so each to his own.

Judgment made by short auditioning... without trying different source gear and amping head-to-head to L2... which is different sounding HP... etc.

Please, don`t make Your personal preferences as "superior" for everybody. Just saying...

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #465 of 1,061
  Judgment made by short auditioning... without trying different source gear and amping head-to-head to L2... which is different sounding HP... etc.

Please, don`t make Your personal preferences as "superior" for everybody. Just saying...

Lol where did I say everybody? Read it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back