Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Aug 11, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #1,036 of 1,061

This may also be AMP-dependent. Now listening on iDSD micro and it's fine. Or maybe I have lost that portion of hearing already :))))

Nice amp, exactly the one I am using! 
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not your hearing, not the amp, the headphone has quite an extensive peak in the treble in that region, which explains the somewhat "splashy" character in the timbre of the treble. Every audio device has some signature (especially in the treble, where the wavelengths are close to the dimensions of the drivers and surroundings), there is nothing wrong with that, it is the trade-off made by the manufacturer. 

I recently talked to a acoustic engineer at Philips, who explained me that there are quite some deviations in the production of the headphones, resulting in up to 10dB measured differences (no indications on where). This will not remove this sort of peak in the frequency response (it is determined by the physical dimensions of driver and enclosure), but may make it less prominent, or masked by other parts of the frequency response that are more prominent, which can also explain why people have a different perception on the overall timbre when talking about this headphone. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #1,037 of 1,061
Nice amp, exactly the one I am using! :)

It's not your hearing, not the amp, the headphone has quite an extensive peak in the treble in that region, which explains the somewhat "splashy" character in the timbre of the treble. Every audio device has some signature (especially in the treble, where the wavelengths are close to the dimensions of the drivers and surroundings), there is nothing wrong with that, it is the trade-off made by the manufacturer. 

I recently talked to a acoustic engineer at Philips, who explained me that there are quite some deviations in the production of the headphones, resulting in up to 10dB measured differences (no indications on where). This will not remove this sort of peak in the frequency response (it is determined by the physical dimensions of driver and enclosure), but may make it less prominent, or masked by other parts of the frequency response that are more prominent, which can also explain why people have a different perception on the overall timbre when talking about this headphone. 

I wonder what he'd have to say about the whole "burn-in" thing - does it happen / what is the time curve relative to some stable value in the future (i.e. when considered fully burned in) / do they develop and test with this in mind?

10dB is a lot for a headphone, right?

And it's interesting but the X2's are my favorite phones now that I drive them with the iFi micro, not having the previous ear-killing problem at all. Possible I listen more quiet now that things are better and somewhat burned in.

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #1,038 of 1,061

smily_headphones1.gif

stumbled upon this -- difference between 3 different pieces of the same headphone -- the article is in czech but you can use google translate or just have a look at the graphs: http://headaudio.weebly.com/clanky/vyrobni-odchylky-sluchatek-3x-sony-ma900

interesting!

Aug 13, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #1,039 of 1,061
Hi everyone,

Has anyone compared these with the Audio Technica M50/M50x? I usually like AT better but a friend told me about the Fidelio X2 and I'm curious about them.

Should I be aware of fake X2's like on Ebay or something?

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #1,040 of 1,061
Past the burn-in period I think. My HD600 is now collecting dust. The X2 is amazing.

The enclosure developed a crackling-like sound that I can hear when I move my head on a recliner or flex my ear muscles. Not noticeable on higher volumes, but pretty annoying nonetheless.

I reckon someone in this thread posted a solution but my search attempts turn up nothing, got to page through it.

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,041 of 1,061
Past the burn-in period I think. My HD600 is now collecting dust. The X2 is amazing.

The enclosure developed a crackling-like sound that I can hear when I move my head on a recliner or flex my ear muscles. Not noticeable on higher volumes, but pretty annoying nonetheless.

I reckon someone in this thread posted a solution but my search attempts turn up nothing, got to page through it.

The cause of that sound is generally the headband suspension. I remember that someone used WD40 to eliminate that noise (I will never advise you to use WD40 though). Other than that I didnt remember any fix.

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #1,042 of 1,061
The cause of that sound is generally the headband suspension. I remember that someone used WD40 to eliminate that noise (I will never advise you to use WD40 though). Other than that I didnt remember any fix.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to cross-post here yesterday -- I have fixed it by simply stretching (and then letting go back) each side of the headband cover towards the inside -- just enough to reveal the joint of the non-elastic and the elastic components:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/808067/fidelio-x2-cracking

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #1,043 of 1,061
Jan 17, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #1,045 of 1,061
  Hi everyone,

Has anyone compared these with the Audio Technica M50/M50x? I usually like AT better but a friend told me about the Fidelio X2 and I'm curious about them.

Should I be aware of fake X2's like on Ebay or something?

Thanks!

I have ATH M50 and really like them, they are way past the burn in and with the new velour pads sound outstanding when connected to the FiiO E18, just got the X2 and they sound great too, very wide compared to the M50, I'm still getting use to the openness of the X2 and want to give them a descent burn in before I make a final judgement on them. Bought the X2 of Ebay (recently) on a throw of the dice and found them to be of EXCELLENT QUALITY (no glue on the pads! and Gibson made..Who Would've thought!) Edit:  I found a perfect marriage with the x2's The iFi micro Ican SE amp, mids just open up. My cans are not as bass heavy as they are claimed to be, the m50 bass is more punchy vs the x2 as more laid back, anyone like jazz? With the (iFi Ican amp) bass extension switches I can fine tune the x2 easy but still prefer the m50 seemingly more accurate bass response, and I do enjoy the x2 bass as well, just giving the edge to the m50. As far as soundstage, imaging and placement of instruments go...X2 All The Way. Some tracks I wonder if there's a sub woofer connected in the house somewhere, I look around and nope, it's just the X2 doing it's thing. A fun headphone indeed!  

Baycode...Sick write up dude..thanks for the review!! 

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #1,046 of 1,061
I use shortly the fidelio x2 hd on my la figario 339 and I must say that I am very pleasantly surprised about the sound quality of this combination.
For this the K701 among others used to great satisfaction but this is a completely different experience, demension in noise production which as very open and balanced.
The dynamics and precision that these headphones are capable of is really unbelievable.
And that via a tube amplifier that would actually perform better with high-resolution headphones.

Greetings from Holland

Dec 17, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #1,047 of 1,061
After using the Ghentoudio Canare L-4E6S Star Quad, cable with my fidelio X2 I came in a very big disappointment.
everything the x2 gave again was canceled by this Ghenoudio cable.
What a teler position and it appears that this kind of schinese companies can not guarantee what consumers demand.
waste of money is in this case absoluud the case and disappointment certainly true.
Cables certainly make a difference in the reproduction of music especially in the case of phoned telephones.

Dec 17, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #1,048 of 1,061
After using the Ghentoudio Canare L-4E6S Star Quad, cable with my fidelio X2 I came in a very big disappointment.
everything the x2 gave again was canceled by this Ghenoudio cable.
What a teler position and it appears that this kind of schinese companies can not guarantee what consumers demand.
waste of money is in this case absoluud the case and disappointment certainly true.
Cables certainly make a difference in the reproduction of music especially in the case of phoned telephones.
Bummer, stock cable on the X2 are tops.

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #1,049 of 1,061
smily_headphones1.gif

have you by any chance solved this problem? that 4.5khz peak is ear piercing for me. currently listening from pc onboard or iPad air 2. should i buy a dac/amp, fiio e17k maybe so i can lower the treble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back