Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Mar 14, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #1,021 of 1,061
  Okay so I'm becoming very impatient with the HM5 pads. They have been out of stock for a month now. Only the angled velour ones are available in black. I have the fidelio x2 and I see that the driver is already angled, will the angled pads make a difference in sound quality? What's the difference between flat/regular pads and angled ones?

I advise you to skip angled ones fot the X2 because the X2 drivers are already angled and extreme angle may ruin the soundstage and sound.

Also the non angled HM5 velour earpads are more comfy than the stock X2 pads but soundwise, original X2 earpads are still slightly better.

You may try to wash the X2 earpads. Reported in this and other thread that washing the earpads helps remove the excessive paint (or ink) and softens the earpads. Please check this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/723025/philips-fidelio-x2/4305#post_11443801

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #1,022 of 1,061
Are these worth it if you already have the AKG K7XX's?
I love the K7XX's, but I always have a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I want something with a bit more aggressiveness. Especially in the bass department, something that will really make electronic and heavy metal music really hit hard. I can't try them out before buying sadly, and from the impressions online I always thought the X2's had more bass than the XX's, but then I read ZReviews comments and he said the XX's had more bass than these.

Any thoughts or recommendations?  

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #1,023 of 1,061

Are these worth it if you already have the AKG K7XX's?
I love the K7XX's, but I always have a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I want something with a bit more aggressiveness. Especially in the bass department, something that will really make electronic and heavy metal music really hit hard. I can't try them out before buying sadly, and from the impressions online I always thought the X2's had more bass than the XX's, but then I read ZReviews comments and he said the XX's had more bass than these.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

There's no way AKG has more bass than X2. I had a K712 and while it had an OK bass, it wasn't nearly as impactful. And not nearly as fun overall.

X2 would be a great companion for what you're looking for, I'd say. I've returned my K712 as it was little too hot on the treble for my taste.

X2 kicks ass with metal, especially progressive death.

May 9, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #1,027 of 1,061
  Hi Baycode,
Do you have any recommendations for a portable equivalent to X2s? something with a similar sound signature and fun factor but less "leaky". Similar price range. Thanks

So hard to answer... Philips A5Pro is the most close portable I have ever listened to date... But comfort is not so good with the A5Pro. I really cant find an equivalent of the X2 on the portable closed type :/   May be JVC HAS500.. may be...

May 11, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #1,028 of 1,061
Thanks. I've just tried B&O H6 and they are OK but in a different league to X2. X2 are like Virtual Reality for sound (close your eyes and it's like you there) whereas H6 (and all other headphones I tried) are bombarding your ears. I'm going to try Momentum's and MSR7 soon but I have a feeling I'll be back to square one. Bloody Philips why did you make such a good headphones :wink:

Part of me thinks that if I can't get the x2's kind of SQ on the go I may as well go for premium earphones. What earphones do you recommend?

May 14, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #1,030 of 1,061
also, have you tried Fidelio L2?

I havent tried L2. May be you can check some AKG models like Tiesto?

If the comfort factor were better, Philips A5Pro is the only portable that sounds very close to the X2. Again, I have to add... its not the same sound, but close.

May 14, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #1,031 of 1,061
Just want to report that I found my "portable X2" headphones! So I had decent sessions with MSR7, Momentum 2, B&O H6, Bose Soundtrue 2, Sony MDR-1A. I compared them to X2s and very quickly realised that it was a mistake. X2s are far superior in terms of soundstage, base quality and quantity, details, seperation, fun factor. I love X2s soundstage and tight, sublime but punchy bass. Anyways, as soon as I got over the fact that nothing will be as good as my X2 I was fine :wink: MSR7 is the one I'll go for. They have the clarity, details, right amount of bass, great mids and highs, isolation and they look cool. And as a bonus I feel smug whenever I pass "beats heads" :wink: Momentums are my no.2 but mids and highs aren't as good as MSR7 and they have a dealbreaking design flaw (wind noise). H6 have flat/dull soundstage, poor isolation, and artificial vocals. Soundtrue 2 lack clarity&details and MDR-1A have very bad build quality (tried used model in a shop, every single part of these headphones squeaked when touched).

Aug 10, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #1,033 of 1,061
No QC or sound problems with the X2, they have their own, fun-factor sound signature and are a nice addition to my HD600.

The only "problem" I have with the X2 is that -- how to put it -- "they don't take prisoners" -- simply put, if I'm not _very_ careful with the volume setting on my apms, my ears will let me know by feeling pain, and that happens as fast as inside a minute, maybe 30 seconds.

The HD600's or any other in-ears I have aren't like this -- they can be driven quite loud for quite some time before my ears show any sign of pain or fatigue.

I'm thinking this has to be the combination of high fidelity / low impedance = easy driveablity + the massive driver size.

I was recently joking that the X2 is a nice hifi, which if you want to hear a more clearly defined, you put it on your head. I can literally listen to them while being in the next room.

They are awesome but you have to have a quiet listening room and drive them with a good quality, clear signal, as to not try to push the volume too high, because -- in my opinion -- they are unforgiving to the ear drum.

EDIT: on a second thought, I wonder how much my subjective feeling is influenced by the open-box clamping force of the X2's -- I have these less than a week so far.

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,034 of 1,061
  No QC or sound problems with the X2, they have their own, fun-factor sound signature and are a nice addition to my HD600.

The only "problem" I have with the X2 is that -- how to put it -- "they don't take prisoners" -- simply put, if I'm not _very_ careful with the volume setting on my apms, my ears will let me know by feeling pain, and that happens as fast as inside a minute, maybe 30 seconds.

The HD600's or any other in-ears I have aren't like this -- they can be driven quite loud for quite some time before my ears show any sign of pain or fatigue.

I'm thinking this has to be the combination of high fidelity / low impedance = easy driveablity + the massive driver size.

I have the same issue with the X2. The reason is way easier to explain, it is the >10dB peak around 5kHz. It's pretty prominent and audible.  As in the fundament area it lacks some energy, you have the tendency to put the headphone louder, which even amplifies the effect of the treble peak. 

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #1,035 of 1,061

I have the same issue with the X2. The reason is way easier to explain, it is the >10dB peak around 5kHz. It's pretty prominent and audible.  As in the fundament area it lacks some energy, you have the tendency to put the headphone louder, which even amplifies the effect of the treble peak. 

This may also be AMP-dependent. Now listening on iDSD micro and it's fine. Or maybe I have lost that portion of hearing already :))))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back