PGGB Offline Remastering
Jun 7, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #16 of 284
Understood, but that does not help me figure out what is going on. When I click about in the startup menu it says windows 10 Pro, but the window to change virtual memory says windows 7?
Ah! It's good you supplied the screenshot. "Windows 7" is the name that was given to your C:\ drive (ie, the "volume label"). Probably before you upgraded to Windows 10.

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #17 of 284
Ah! It's good you supplied the screenshot. "Windows 7" is the name that was given to your C:\ drive (ie, the "volume label"). Probably before you upgraded to Windows 10.
So does that mean I am good to go? I know PGGB requires Windows 10 to work, do I have to rename it somehow?

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #19 of 284
No, you are good to go. This is just the name of a drive created during Windows 7 installation. It has no impact on system version. It is just a name of a drive c:\ (system drive)
Thank you, I will try to continue with signing up then.

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #20 of 284
Hi guys, I just wanted to say that ZB, the PGGB creator is a great guy who has been helping me stumble through the process of setting up his software on my Laptop via email. We decided it is not worth the headaches for me to do, my current Laptop is too underpowered (4 GB of RAM). He has offered to gargle blast a few songs for me, just to see if it is worth it to me, because I would have to buy a new, more powerful Laptop. The next thing is trying to figure out how to get a few songs to him, I think Dropbox is what I will try, but that is all new to me also ,UGGH!

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #21 of 284
Y'know that reminds me, what else could be useful is if we were to share a few PGGB'ed test tracks here (along with the original, non-upscaled files, presumably), posted somewhere like Google Drive, Mega, Dropbox, or wherever.

They would (unfortunately) have to be public domain though, if only because
copyrighted material + public forum = bad outcome.

That limits things a bit (by which I mean severely, lol). Anyone have any good ideas? (I don't).

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #22 of 284
Hi guys, I just wanted to say that ZB, the PGGB creator is a great guy who has been helping me stumble through the process of setting up his software on my Laptop via email. We decided it is not worth the headaches for me to do, my current Laptop is too underpowered (4 GB of RAM). He has offered to gargle blast a few songs for me, just to see if it is worth it to me, because I would have to buy a new, more powerful Laptop. The next thing is trying to figure out how to get a few songs to him, I think Dropbox is what I will try, but that is all new to me also ,UGGH!
I use WeTransfer. It very simple to set up and free for transfers up to 2GB.

Y'know that reminds me, what else could be useful is if we were to share a few PGGB'ed test tracks here (along with the original, non-upscaled files, presumably), posted somewhere like Google Drive, Mega, Dropbox, or wherever.

They would (unfortunately) have to be public domain though, if only because
copyrighted material + public forum = bad outcome.

That limits things a bit (by which I mean severely, lol). Anyone have any good ideas? (I don't).

Best though is for one to compare tracks which one knows well after being blasted by PGGB and i and others are happy to do this and then send them back. I have a fast machine so it only takes a few minutes of background processing at my end. If anyone wants to take advantage of this just email me.

please note that although i did help to beta test PGGB I have no commercial connection to PGGB and this is just a friendly offer to fellow Head-Fi members. PM me to get my email address.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #24 of 284
Jun 9, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #25 of 284
I have about 10 PGGB songs downloaded, and I am currently waiting for another batch to finish (thanks Nick). While I wait, I have been looking online at Software to play these files once I am done. Also, I have been looking at the most powerful Windows and Mac Laptops available today. It is a bit overwhelming to say the least, prices are very high for these super computers. This might be a good place to list the ideal software and machine to convert and play PGGB music. I have no problem buying either Windows or Mac, my preference would be Mac, but I would go for a Windows machine if they are better suited. I am thinking about purchasing the Jriver software to start with, trying it out on my old dinosaur Thinkpad to play what I have right now. Any suggestions for best options, versus budget options that will work fine…I am talking software and Laptops.
Thanks in advance

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #26 of 284
I have about 10 PGGB songs downloaded, and I am currently waiting for another batch to finish (thanks Nick). While I wait, I have been looking online at Software to play these files once I am done. Also, I have been looking at the most powerful Windows and Mac Laptops available today. It is a bit overwhelming to say the least, prices are very high for these super computers. This might be a good place to list the ideal software and machine to convert and play PGGB music. I have no problem buying either Windows or Mac, my preference would be Mac, but I would go for a Windows machine if they are better suited. I am thinking about purchasing the Jriver software to start with, trying it out on my old dinosaur Thinkpad to play what I have right now. Any suggestions for best options, versus budget options that will work fine…I am talking software and Laptops.
Thanks in advance
Additionally, list a basic (minimum) machine to convert and play PGGB. I had no problem with converting with a 2018 Mac Mini and playback using Roon.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #27 of 284
Additionally, list a basic (minimum) machine to convert and play PGGB. I had no problem with converting with a 2018 Mac Mini and playback using Roon.
The part that I am apprehensive about is that this tech appears to be a work in progress, with updates appearing quite often. So a suitable machine today, could be obsolete in a year, well sure you could use it for other things, but what if ZB designs and sells a machine in a year that does it all, like some kind of super server converter. Also, I seem to remember Nick saying Roon somehow degrades the sound, what about Jriver?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #28 of 284
The part that I am apprehensive about is that this tech appears to be a work in progress, with updates appearing quite often. So a suitable machine today, could be obsolete in a year, well sure you could use it for other things, but what if ZB designs and sells a machine in a year that does it all, like some kind of super server converter. Also, I seem to remember Nick saying Roon somehow degrades the sound, what about Jriver?
I launched my copy of JRiver 25 and it plays them fine. It doesn't appear to be resource intensive on playback. The rest, I can't speak to.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #29 of 284
I launched my copy of JRiver 25 and it plays them fine. It doesn't appear to be resource intensive on playback. The rest, I can't speak to.
I do have a Naim ND5XS2 streamer, which is Roon ready, so maybe I should go that route. I am hoping that I can load the PGGB files on my Naim Core, and they will play, but I doubt it.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #30 of 284
I do have a Naim ND5XS2 streamer, which is Roon ready, so maybe I should go that route. I am hoping that I can load the PGGB files on my Naim Core, and they will play, but I doubt it.
supports wav playback up to at up to 32bit/384kHz, so it should

Users who are viewing this thread

Back