PGGB Offline Remastering
Mar 7, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #242 of 282
FWIW I had trouble playing pggb files with LMS. LMS sounds awesome for native sample rate. Easily my favorite. But couldn’t for the life of me get it to work with 16Fs content.
The problem is most likely Squeezelite. An older version must be used that is supported by the C-3PO plugin. This plugin hasn’t seen an update in a long time.

Those who have Antipodes servers running AMS 5 get to use Squeeze to play 16FS without the need for a plugin. It sounds fantastic.

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #243 of 282
The problem is most likely Squeezelite. An older version must be used that is supported by the C-3PO plugin. This plugin hasn’t seen an update in a long time.

Those who have Antipodes servers running AMS 5 get to use Squeeze to play 16FS without the need for a plugin. It sounds fantastic.
Is that rev of lms available to others than antipodes owners? I have found that the squeeze player in ropieee software passes the 16fs pggb files. It is getting the files from my antipodes though.

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #244 of 282
Can you set it up to pass PGGB untouched and upsample anything below 705/768 without constantly changing settings?
That would be a wonderful capability to have! I asked Jussi for this back when I first started using PGGB, but he saw no point in adding it. He’s not a fan of his customers using the product they paid for to play music that is simply being passed through it.

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #245 of 282
Mar 7, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #246 of 282
Mar 7, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #247 of 282
I hated HQPlayer with all my guts and was relived to rid myself of all that tinkering and hiccups once I got the MS.
Hustle aside, MS sounded far superior to HQPlayer in my subjective opinion.
I‘ve been listening to the M-scaled M2 for a few days now and not missing DAVE for a second, seriously considering selling it.
By comparison, I could only listen to MS/TT2 for a few minutes before going back to MS/DAVE In panic mode.

Anyhow, back to the HQPlayer.
Can you set it up to pass PGGB untouched and upsample anything below 705/768 without constantly changing settings?

Nope - it is an annoyance I live with. My default is to choose no filter or dithering in HQP itself. I then adjust settings "on the fly" in HQP client whenever I decide to stream via Qobuz. See below for a pic - it allows one to avoid going in and out of HQP settings, and instead make the changes directly from the client whenever I choose to stream. It would be nice if Jussi allowed "profiles" that easily loaded to make the switching easier. But see @kennyb123 above. He's an opinionated guy. Helpful though with general customer support.

1709849863263.png

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #249 of 282
Nope - it is an annoyance I live with. My default is to choose no filter or dithering in HQP itself. I then adjust settings "on the fly" in HQP client whenever I decide to stream via Qobuz. See below for a pic - it allows one to avoid going in and out of HQP settings, and instead make the changes directly from the client whenever I choose to stream. It would be nice if Jussi allowed "profiles" that easily loaded to make the switching easier. But see @kennyb123 above. He's an opinionated guy. Helpful though with general customer support.

1709849863263.png
Yeah, this is a non-starter for me.
And Jassi is one of the main reasons I kicked the hqplayer to the curb and never looked back.
I would rather duplicate my entire signal path and use two inputs on my integrated to switch between streaming and PGGB.

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #250 of 282
In a response to me on another forum Jussi admitted that none,none,none 0db provided bit perfect passthrough but he would never provide a switch to do the same. I understand his reasoning (pride?) but it makes roon listenable.

Mar 7, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #251 of 282
HQP is 3dB less dynamic (PCM to DSD) and that's why it sounds "solid".
I think when folks talk about their PGGB tracks sounding not as good through HQPlayer than some alternative, they are taking about PCM vs PCM, so that isn’t a factor.

I’ve even compared DSD tracks in both HQPlayer and Squeeze and the gap might even be larger in Squeeze’s favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back