Pet Peeves
Mar 29, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #121 of 139
Quote:

WHEN I GET OLD, I"LL MOVE UP NORTH AND DRIVE SLOW!!!!

NOT ON MY ROUTE YOU WON"T
WE WILL PUT YOUR ASS IN LAKE CANDLWOOD
eek.gif

Mar 29, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #122 of 139
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
WHEN I GET OLD, I"LL MOVE UP NORTH AND DRIVE SLOW!!!!

LOL! Boy, do you have the wrong impression. You haven't seen speed until you've tried driving the Northway outside of Albany, NY during rush hour. Posted speed limit is 55, but there isn't a car on the road, including those driven by little old ladies, that isn't doing 75, MINIMUM. In heavy traffic.

Northerners driving slow down south are doing so because they're on vacation and trying to see the sights.

I've driven through Atlanta on I-75, and around Orlando on 4. Not fun. I don't think anybody in Georgia or Florida has a clue about moving right to let faster drivers by. Don't they teach that down there?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Actually, the best drivers I've ever encountered were on 101 between San Francisco and Palo Alto. They would move right to let me by. They used their turn signals in advance of a turn. They were considerate and skilled. I was actually shocked at how much easier the driving was there than in NY state where I live.

Mar 29, 2002 at 3:45 PM Post #123 of 139
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
Actually, the best drivers I've ever encountered were on 101 between San Francisco and Palo Alto. They would move right to let me by. They used their turn signals in advance of a turn. They were considerate and skilled. I was actually shocked at how much easier the driving was there than in NY state where I live.

The drivers in Austin are like that too. Whenever I used my blinker, they'd actually ease back to let me over and not miss my turn. Damn hippies.

Mar 29, 2002 at 5:08 PM Post #124 of 139
Quote:

I've driven through Atlanta on I-75, and around Orlando on 4. Not fun. I don't think anybody in Georgia or Florida has a clue about moving right to let faster drivers by. Don't they teach that down there?
very_evil_smiley.gif

They don't teach them that in California, either
frown.gif
When I go back to the midwest, I'm always amazed at how polite and considerate drivers are there... And Russ, I don't know when you were driving on the 101, but they aren't like that usually, trust me
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #125 of 139
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
They don't teach them that in California, either
frown.gif
When I go back to the midwest, I'm always amazed at how polite and considerate drivers are there... And Russ, I don't know when you were driving on the 101, but they aren't like that usually, trust me
very_evil_smiley.gif

I drove 101 four times in July 1993 or 94 when I attended a conference at Stanford University, at various times of day. People made way to let me into traffic or change lanes, when I turned on my turn signal. They moved right when I was faster. When I was driving at night, and passed someone, they would flash the high beams briefly to let me know I was clear to get back into the lane in front of them. It made a real impression on me. If that's all changed now, I'm sorry to hear it.

Mar 29, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #127 of 139
Originally posted by Russ Arcuri

Those people are from the North. Atlanta is at most 25% Georgians, the rest immigrants, mostly from the North.

Plus, don't forget that half the fraffic in Orlando, especially on I-4 is tourists.

Florida, the East Coast and from Rat Town South, is about 20% Floridians and the rest Immigrants. Many, depending on where you are as much as 95%, from the North. Of course, as you get to the Southeast, lots of Latin and Carribean.

None of them know how to drive. The first Cuban to come after Castro went to driving school. He failed and he's the one that taught ALL the rest of the Latin and Carribean people to drive.

So, My statement stands. When I get old I'll move up North and DRIVE SLOW!!!!

Mar 30, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #128 of 139
I've got to agree with Ross. I travel on the Northway a lot, I live a little upstate of Albany, and most people travel 75-80 mph. Driving in Connecticut is even worse. I've been travelling at 80mph and getting passed constantly by people doing around 100. If you really think that people drive slowly in the North, you're going to be in for a huge surprise.

Also, apparently the majority of the South is in fact composed of mostly Northerners. That's news to me, but you have to realize that the majority of people driving down there that are from the North are senior citizens who do tend to drive slow! I would think that if I wanted to drive slowly, I would move to the South. I'm very confused as to where the basis of your idea that people in the North drive slowly comes from, because I can guarantee to you that it's not correct.

Mar 30, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #129 of 139
Quote:

Driving in Connecticut is even worse. I've been travelling at 80mph and getting passed constantly by people doing around 100.

You won't have that happen in Oregon. The speedlimit on the freeway is 65mph. You can get away with 70 or so. 75 mph will get you a ticket and 80 will be a huge ticket. Last ticket I got was for 74 in a 55 and it was $380. 55 is the limit on all other roads. I am so glad I don't live in the northeast. You guys drive like crazy people!

Mar 30, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #130 of 139
You all will have a cardiac arrest if you rent a car and get on the freeway in this town. We like to tailgate on the freeway to prevent anyone from merging in front of us. If the car in front changes lane, we speed up quickly and aggressively to close the gap.

Mar 30, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #131 of 139
Another pet peeve of mine...

TV as a medium (whether film, soap, or otherwise) - when someone is using a boombox, mid-fi system, or whatever... and when they press play, that the room / park / wherever is mysteriously filled with good quality sound... like, yeah... right!

Mar 30, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #132 of 139
Just thought of another one:

******** with SUV's! If your single, no kids...you dont need a freaking SUV! You schmucks think you own the road and your actually safe in that pile of plastic? I think not!

This might actually offend some headfiers, so consider yourself warned
rolleyes.gif

Mar 30, 2002 at 10:51 AM Post #133 of 139
Quote:

Originally posted by MikeR17
I've got to agree with Ross. I travel on the Northway a lot, I live a little upstate of Albany, and most people travel 75-80 mph. Driving in Connecticut is even worse. I've been travelling at 80mph and getting passed constantly by people doing around 100. If you really think that people drive slowly in the North, you're going to be in for a huge surprise.

Also, apparently the majority of the South is in fact composed of mostly Northerners. That's news to me, but you have to realize that the majority of people driving down there that are from the North are senior citizens who do tend to drive slow! I would think that if I wanted to drive slowly, I would move to the South. I'm very confused as to where the basis of your idea that people in the North drive slowly comes from, because I can guarantee to you that it's not correct.

You apparently don't understand the sarcasm and FRUSTRATION in that statement. All the old people from the North come South and drive slow, aggravating the hell out of tose of us who are not quite that old or slow. So, a lot of us would like to return the favor and go irritate some Northerners.

Part of the reason there is such a high percentage of immigrants in Florida and Georgia is, most Southerners go to NC, TN, AL, KY or somewhere to escape what the immigration is doing to the best places in the US to live.

I'm 60, spent 25 years in AL and TN before coming back home to FL and moved to Northeast FL to escape what's been done to Southeast FL. In my lifetime, I expect to see massive water shortages throughout Florida. This state can not continue to support an average of over 1200 FAMILIES a week moving here from other parts of the US. The immigration rate frequently excceds the birth rate. Then a lot of the people born in FL leave, because it's becoming so terribly overcrowded and expensive.
About half of the immigrants are retirees. The rest are younger families looking for the "Promised Land". Unfortunately, the death rate of these retirees doesn't equal their immigration rate.

Jacksonville is a bright spot, but won't be for long. It's one of the fastest growing cities in the US and has doubled in population in the last 15 years. Its growth is only accelerating. At least they're trying to plan for some of that growth.

If the people who weren't born in Florida left, I really doubt if the population of the state would be 5 million. As it is, especially in the Winter when the Damned Snowbirds are here, the population is over 20 million.

Here in the Northeastern part of the state, I know a lot of people, besides myself, who were born here. Some can trace their families back 400 years or more. That can't be done anywhere else in the US. When I was in West Palm Beach, My brother and my cousins, all of whom moved to NC, were the only Native Floridians I knew. Everybody else I met, worked with, associated with in any way were from somewhere else.

They come in with the attitude that "If we didn't bring technology, culture and MONEY to Florida, you'd still be poor, backwards and living in the swamps." We never lived in the swamps. We sold the swamps to the damnyankees. We lived in Concrete block houses past the dune line to stay away from Hurricanes. I am still trying to figure out how living a busy, hurried, "cultured", expensive life style is so much better than sitting on the beach fishing.

If someone can tell me what's beetter than spending your life sitting on the beach enjoying God's gifts, maybe I'll learn to accept a gotta get there, gotta do whatever life style. I doubt it though.

Mar 31, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #135 of 139
Quote:

. I am so glad I don't live in the northeast. You guys drive like crazy people!

hehe,I resemble that remark
biggrin.gif

The morning wolf pack is a group of about 10 to 15 cars doing 55 in a 35 nose to tail
And I have way more disrespect for drivers that not only drive slow,but when taking a left turn decide the ENTIRE FKN ROAD IS THIERS AND SET UP DEAD NUTS CENTER !
MOVE THE HELL OVER AND LET ME SLIDE BY DAMMIT !
Then they , after setting up for the turn (jeeeez) they NEVER seem to shoot the gap.The ENTIRE road has to be clear before they will attempt to turn

PARK FOR CRIPES SAKE ! Or at least stay home during the peak commute times

Users who are viewing this thread

Back