Perreaux SXH-1 FOR $200
Sep 11, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #31 of 115
Mine is coming this monday. I've checked from fedex tracking number they gave me. It surely fast. Funny thing is when I called them they offered me, fedex shipping or free shipping for 7 days. Of course I choose free shipping since I'm not in a hurry.

Sep 13, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #33 of 115
I was told it would ship today and arrive either Wednesday or Thursday, fast service if you ask me. I didn't ask for any special shipping, in fact it did not come up at all, I guess I am getting free shipping/USPS. You simply can't beat the USPS Priority shipping in my opinion. I know some in bigger cities have issues with the USPS but I have never had a problem with the Priority service.

Now another question for you guys. AA also has Demo MG HEAD OTL Mk 3's for $259. I had always wanted a MG HEAD but saw this after I ordered the Perreaux. I am not really bothered by this as I have heard nothing but glowing reports about the Perreaux and the price was certainly right.

Do any of you have both, or have heard both and can give me your opinion on which you liked better or what you liked about each or simply how they compare in their sound?

Thanks

Derek N

Sep 13, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #34 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
If they have already been shipped back to Perreaux then these 0.3v should be fine. Shouldn't be any different then the 0.5v. I would verify that the hum and connector issue has been fixed on the 0.3v and if so, I'd order one. You also have the 30day return policy of AA as well.

any news that the 0.3v is confirmed to be fixed? i just got an email from AA and i was told they only have 0.3v left.

and for those of you who got your amps.. if its a 0.3v can you verify that it doesnt have that hum problem?

thanks!

Sep 13, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #35 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek N
I was told it would ship today and arrive either Wednesday or Thursday, fast service if you ask me. I didn't ask for any special shipping, in fact it did not come up at all, I guess I am getting free shipping/USPS. You simply can't beat the USPS Priority shipping in my opinion. I know some in bigger cities have issues with the USPS but I have never had a problem with the Priority service.

Now another question for you guys. AA also has Demo MG HEAD OTL Mk 3's for $259. I had always wanted a MG HEAD but saw this after I ordered the Perreaux. I am not really bothered by this as I have heard nothing but glowing reports about the Perreaux and the price was certainly right.

Do any of you have both, or have heard both and can give me your opinion on which you liked better or what you liked about each or simply how they compare in their sound?

Thanks

Derek N

I don't know about the new MK3, but the DT/OTL I had, the second edition I think, was nothing spectacular, the Perreaux, IMO, is in another league compared with the MGHead, you will have a better amp IMO.....wiht no hassle of tube hunting, a couple of good tubes will cost you over 100.00 easily, a good Sylvania or Raytheon, the same...and unless you have them, stay away of tubes......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #36 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
any news that the 0.3v is confirmed to be fixed? i just got an email from AA and i was told they only have 0.3v left.

and for those of you who got your amps.. if its a 0.3v can you verify that it doesnt have that hum problem?

thanks!

I just arrived home to find my amp sitting on the doorstep. After a quick dissection (to check the version number, it is a 0.3), I plugged it in to check for the hum problems.
With my HD650s, I can hear a hum when the volume knob is rotated passed the 1:00 o'clock position. I tried a number of other cheapy headphones that I had lying around (mostly from old PCDP/walkmans etc), and in all cases there was some element of hum once the volume knob went past 1:00 o'clock.
I not sure whether this means the unit I have was not fixed, but as I intend to use it with a pair of HD580 Jubilees in the office, and I have the volume around the 10:00 o'clock position, I am keeping mine. It is much better than the Meta42 I'm currently using.

Sep 14, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #37 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by James3Toe
I just arrived home to find my amp sitting on the doorstep. After a quick dissection (to check the version number, it is a 0.3), I plugged it in to check for the hum problems.
With my HD650s, I can hear a hum when the volume knob is rotated passed the 1:00 o'clock position. I tried a number of other cheapy headphones that I had lying around (mostly from old PCDP/walkmans etc), and in all cases there was some element of hum once the volume knob went past 1:00 o'clock.
I not sure whether this means the unit I have was not
fixed, but as I intend to use it with a pair of HD580 Jubilees in the office, and I have the volume around the 10:00 o'clock position, I am keeping mine. It is much better than the Meta42 I'm currently using.

You got a bad one, hope I have better luck, let's see tomorrow....

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #38 of 115
I'm pretty sure mine is a .5 since I called and requested it and it's handwritten on the packing slip. I think anyone who called should be ok.

Whoever wrote using this amp is like swimming in a big blue ocean hit the nail on the head. This is my first experience with an amp and the difference between it and my AV-710 unamped is amazing. I didn't expect much since I have A500s which aren't supposed to improve much. Everything sounds "liquid" now with much better bass. Joss Stone is living in my head now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again to msx1030 for giving me the heads up! Best $200 I've spent (so far....).

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #39 of 115
That would be me. It's the metaphor that always came to mind when chilling out to the music. Oh little Perreaux, you have served me well.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if instead of selling it, I should see how it sounds on my husband's pc setup? Hmmm...

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #40 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
That would be me. It's the metaphor that always came to mind when chilling out to the music. Oh little Perreaux, you have served me well.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if instead of selling it, I should see how it sounds on my husband's pc setup? Hmmm...

My advice, don't sell it, or you will miss it later on.....see my case.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #41 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
smily_headphones1.gif

plus you are known to buy back equipments you sell
biggrin.gif
*cough* porta *cough* corda ... so i think you should keep it

Sep 14, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #42 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
would be mine if it was a 220V model.. thats a great price and a real steal! someone grab it!

I just bought the SVX-1 phonostage from Audio Advisor at $200 ( which is a similar design to the SHX-1 ) - I need the 220v version also but they only had 110v versions in stock - so I decided to send a question to Perreaux...

...and this is the response I received:
"Thanks for your enquiry and nice to hear from you.
To convert to 220v you have to open up the unit and remove the pcb and resolder a link.
All the very best."

No problem ! Don't hesitate on this deal even if you need the 220v version !

Axel.

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #43 of 115
Well I'm the king of the bad luck, first was my diamond board in the PPA, the post office smashed it, result, useless board, now it seems that FedEx mess it up again, and delivered my amp (Perreaux) to another person, lucky person, yep it was delivered, but, to whom???? I asked all my neighbors, and nothing, FedEx never Show up here today.......someone even signed for it, not my name of course....what a mess guys!!!!!

Sep 15, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #44 of 115
Sovkiller, although its no solice for your present situation I wanted to thank you for your thoughts on the MG Head and how you liked the Perreaux.

I am really looking forward to mine now.

I hope FedEx gets your situation cleared up asap!

-Derek N

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #45 of 115
Sov...what a bummer...I am sure AA will straighten it out for you. As you can see...I was drawn to this post like a moth to flame LOL
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back