Perreaux SXH-1 FOR $200
Sep 30, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #107 of 115
Hi,

I've since moved the Perreaux into my office system where it's hooked up to an APC power supply system -- no hum at all anymore, from K501s to MD-33s and other phones of lower impedance. And no more hum from the volume knob. Possibly this is a solution for ver .3 owners -- is there a chance that this amp is just VERY sensitive to power-line noise?

thanks all for your replies and advice and good luck,

o

Sep 30, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #108 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
For example, http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83873

Sorry, but I never saw this thread before...LOL....and only two replies, out of how many members that got it, another remark, IMO just becasue in two or three, or five, units there was a problem with the soldering joints (out of how many, 3000 or maybe more) that doesn't mean that is a common problem of the model, IMO those in the pics are clearly abused, maybe trying to insert a very tight RCA plug, or a "big heavy audiophile" IC, etc...but it doesn't seem to me like they have a lack of solder material or skills.....that happen to me in one Sony switch, and it was because the ICs i was using were extremelly tight, and once pulliung them the soldeing suffered....it is Sony fault, not it was my fault....I resoldered them again and period.....

Oct 1, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #109 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney
Hi,

I've since moved the Perreaux into my office system where it's hooked up to an APC power supply system -- no hum at all anymore, from K501s to MD-33s and other phones of lower impedance. And no more hum from the volume knob. Possibly this is a solution for ver .3 owners -- is there a chance that this amp is just VERY sensitive to power-line noise?

thanks all for your replies and advice and good luck,

o

I found exactly the same thing. My ver .3 produced some hum until I connected it to my Monster Cable HTS5000 Power Center. This may be coincidence, but as the sound from the unit is also much cleaner now, I think the amp is a little sensitive to 'dirty power' (I'm in an apartment complex).

Oct 1, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #110 of 115
Not all Rev 0.3 humed, my first one never humed until I modded, please read the initial thread about the topic, if the hum disapears after cleaning the power, it is not the hum we are talking about, the hum that caused the modification, and force Perreaux to develop the new Rev 0.5, was a problem with the low bias current and was an steady problem, not intermitent, and the only way of getting rid of it, is through the mod that increases the bias current.

Oct 1, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #111 of 115
Typical Sovkiller... Yours works okay so there can't be a problem. Who knows, maybe those of us who have experienced the problem are the few unlucky ones. How many people need to post before the problems are real?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Sorry, but I never saw this thread before...LOL....and only two replies, out of how many members that got it, another remark, IMO just becasue in two or three, or five, units there was a problem with the soldering joints (out of how many, 3000 or maybe more) that doesn't mean that is a common problem of the model, IMO those in the pics are clearly abused, maybe trying to insert a very tight RCA plug, or a "big heavy audiophile" IC, etc...but it doesn't seem to me like they have a lack of solder material or skills.....that happen to me in one Sony switch, and it was because the ICs i was using were extremelly tight, and once pulliung them the soldeing suffered....it is Sony fault, not it was my fault....I resoldered them again and period.....

Oct 1, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #112 of 115
Quote:

Typical Sovkiller... Yours works okay so there can't be a problem. Who knows, maybe those of us who have experienced the problem are the few unlucky ones. How many people need to post before the problems are real?

The problem is real, I'm not denying it...but to be more accurate, don't say mine, say better two of mine, not just one.....and about another 10 I know of...
rolleyes.gif

OTOH, I could say the same, typical whomever, as mine is broken, because of that, the whole model is defective, and there is a reliability problem with all of them.....But being practical, if there are just three or four with a problem, IMO you are the unlucky guys, period.......you need more than that to conclude that one particular model is defective...(and less comming for a very reliable company, error happens, I know, but let's wait for more evidence to make such conclusions, don't you think?)

The case of the hum was different, mine was the exception, so the problem was there and they even modded it.....

Anyway, never mind, I do not work for Perreaux, so believe what you want, and blame them if you like, who cares? And keep on using huge heavy ICs, and pulling them, and you will see more often those "reliability problems" and "defective models"....

Oct 1, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #113 of 115
Quote:

BigD, see the above link.

Thanx acs236.
I recently discover this problem after SXH home set-up from office. My amp sits between dvd players, amp, int amp, and TV. I figured maybe interference. Now that headphones cable touches the carpet flooring, this noise started. My SXH was never abused or agitated, I guess soldering is NOT too good. It could be ground soldering problem as the headphones cable is picking up static from the carpet. I hope this is it.

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #114 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
Thanx acs236.
I recently discover this problem after SXH home set-up from office. My amp sits between dvd players, amp, int amp, and TV. I figured maybe interference. Now that headphones cable touches the carpet flooring, this noise started. My SXH was never abused or agitated, I guess soldering is NOT too good. It could be ground soldering problem as the headphones cable is picking up static from the carpet. I hope this is it.

TVs are a huge source for interference, try moving it away from that, if you can, or maybe check the soldering points to see if you find any loose, but they are hard to detect sometimes, and you need to resolder almost the whole board...in all the times I had noises, and had tried the resoldering solution, the problem was never there...

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #115 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
TVs are a huge source for interference, try moving it away from that, if you can, or maybe check the soldering points to see if you find any loose, but they are hard to detect sometimes, and you need to resolder almost the whole board...in all the times I had noises, and had tried the resoldering solution, the problem was never there...

Perhaps I will relocate my SXH as well. Before at my office, SXH was placed good 3-4 feet away from monitor and pc tower. And some books, magazines and stuff in between. Never heard any thing.
Hey sov, how you enjoying new SXH at bargain $200??? That's just too good to pass up for this head amp. This was my first ever dedicated head amp and fully satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back