Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Jul 26, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #1,473 of 1,683
PWD firmware version 2.4.5, released today, is just outstanding!!!!

I still prefer 241 to 245. But then I never experienced the functional and popping/clicking problems 243, 244 and 245 were intended to fix. To me 245 lacks the energy, crispness and focus of 241.
And 241's bass is better defined--it is tauter compared to 245. But to each his own. To PS Audio's credit, previous firmware versions can still be downloaded which enables the end user to decide for himself which is best.

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #1,475 of 1,683
I have a question. I have a PWD mk2 that was upgraded from mk1. I have been on firmware 2.0.3 since I purchased the device. I have a 2GB Sandisk SD card (not ultra) that is formatted to FAT with update files on it. I've tried it many times over several different firmwares and tried reformatting it with different block sizes and even FAT32. I reset the power every time I reboot my PC because I have to for the device to be recognized and it still reports the same firmware (the SD card with the updates are always kept inside it, inserted properly with pins up). Yes, all files are properly unzipped onto the root of the SD card. The only thing I can think of is to upgrade to a lower firmware first. I have a copy of every firmware ever released.

I didn't let it bother me because 2.0.3 worked well and had decent quality. However, 2.4.5 seems nice and trustworthy now. Anyone care to give a recommendation on how I can get the DAC to upgrade finally? My conclusion is to possibly buy another SD card possibly, but I have no clue what SD card would be better than the recommended.

EDIT: Ok, the logo flashes really fast a few times on some boots and then it quickly boots up. However, my firmware has NOT changed. I've tried re-extracting the files, so on. This isn't working.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #1,476 of 1,683
^I know.  I don't get it.  I tried buying some OLD 2GB Sandisk cards and wanted to keep a little library of cards with different FW on them for faster switching.  

Tried to format on Mac and PC and even to FAT16, IIRC. As it ends up- I only have ONE card that works well for changing FW and it is a micro SD that I use with an adapter.  Good luck finding the right card.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #1,477 of 1,683
It could be as simple as the SD reader in your PWD2 isn't working.  Contact PS, they'll get it sorted out for you.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,479 of 1,683
All - 

Firmware version 2.4.6 now available.

Here's the process to update:

I use a MacBook Air, and deleted all the previous files on my 2 GB card (formatted on a MS-DOS computer to FAT 32).

Must be formatted on a non-apple computer, IIRC.

I dragged each file from the unzipped download to the card.  Six files total.

Turn off the PWD in the rear, insert the card with contacts facing up, turn on the PWD and LET THE PWD RUN FOR SEVERAL MINUTES until the blinking stops and the screen appears normal.

Turn off the PWD in the rear, remove the SD card, then turn on again in the rear.

While the PWD says "Initializing", touch the PS symbol in the center of the touchscreen, and confirm that the desired version is loaded.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #1,480 of 1,683
Thanks for the heads up!  Only thing I wish are any release notes about each new version.  We're left to go on faith that each version is supposed to be better than the last without any details.

At least, with the last two updates, I haven't found any reason to roll back.

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #1,481 of 1,683
Might as well ask here too....
Can anyone help me figure out why JRiver quit seeing my PWD with the Bridge?
It was woking last week, but not now. 
On a Mac, hard wired from the router to the Bridge. Other servers and software are working so the path to the DAC is working. If someone thinks they can help, I'll go into greater detail. 
Thanks

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #1,482 of 1,683
Vvery happy with 2.4.6.
Also, where I liked the 44.1 SR previously, NativeX now sounds best in my system.
And normal polarity most of the time.
WELL DONE! – in fact, I'd love to hear 2.4.6 against the DirectStream.

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #1,485 of 1,683
So I joined the club. Only listened to one album so far on my emotiva 6s but I can already tell it's better than my Oppo 105D. I don't even know what firmware version it is yet let alone listen to my hd800s. Guess that happens tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back