Penon IEMs
Sep 12, 2014 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Midgetguy

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sure someone out there has reviewed these, but I can't seem to find any. Can anyone tell me what they think of the Penon IEMs? I've just been wondering about that for a while and was hoping someone would clear it up. I'm not buying anything from Penon right now so perhaps some impressions might help me think about tacking them onto a future order. Comparing them to the sound of other IEMs would help, I've listened to MEElectronics M11+, Shure SE215, Westone 1, and the relatively new Xiaomi Piston 2's. My current daily drivers are the Vsonic GR06, love 'em. If someone could offer some insight, it's much appreciated. Thanks!

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 13
I'm sure someone out there has reviewed these, but I can't seem to find any. Can anyone tell me what they think of the Penon IEMs? I've just been wondering about that for a while and was hoping someone would clear it up. I'm not buying anything from Penon right now so perhaps some impressions might help me think about tacking them onto a future order. Comparing them to the sound of other IEMs would help, I've listened to MEElectronics M11+, Shure SE215, Westone 1, and the relatively new Xiaomi Piston 2's. My current daily drivers are the Vsonic GR06, love 'em. If someone could offer some insight, it's much appreciated. Thanks!

You should ask in the Asian/Chinese thread. A lot of guys there got them, unfortunately I don't have them myself so I can't help you on this one.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction peter123! Went there to post a question about them, hope to get some insight :)

No problem, good luck :)

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 13
Jan 16, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 13
My take on the Penon IEM here.

A mini-review:

Accessories:
3 pairs of single tips (S/M/L)

Design:
Aluminum housings, no strain relief on them. Straight plug fairly, well relieved. Cable is ok, not too thick, doesn't tangle much and average on microphonics; lacks the chin slider.

Fit/Comfort:
They are actually quite comfortable thanks to the rounded design and isolation is not bad at all with the stock tips already.

Sound:
Penonaudio suggests about 100-200 hrs of burn-in. While I do agree they improved after 80hrs, the changes aren't that noticed after 100+. A regular 40-50 hrs should be enough.
What the Penon IEM really need is some EQ to really shine. Without EQ, they are very, very warm and too mid-bassy. They sound big but that strong bass emphasis takes a lot of attention. Mids are rich and full, but strongly affected by the bass bleed, making them congested and lacking definition. although nothing to complain about for the $10 price, but they can do better...

Now, with some good EQ these very affordable little earphones can be taken to a higher level. For best results I used the Hifiman HM700 excellent 5-band EQ, but could achieve similar results even with the Clip Zip cheap EQ.
The first thing to do was to take down the mid-bass peak, and that'd have been enough to start enjoying the IEM much more, but as they respond quite nicely to EQ, I actually added even extra sub bass, elevated the midrange and added some treble as well. The results were fantastic, really, really enjoyable. Bass is deeper and much more controlled, yet big and powerful. Mids are rich and very warm and engaging, carrying better separation and able to show higher detail. Highs are more crispy as well, but remain on the smooth side, though there's a certain grain on the upper mids/lower treble due the EQ applied, but nothing I'd complain for just the asking price.
Stage is fairly large but you won't get the dynamics or imaging of more expensive sets. Yet, they sound bigger than the Philips she3580 series (and faster on the bass) or the Fidue A31s (although the A31s are better balanced and detailed). Amping didn't do a real change.

All-in-all, the Penon IEM are a great "Free Gift" to get along with any purchase from penonaudio for just extra $10.

Here a couple of pics:

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 13
Cool! Thanks for the input Zelda. I was concerned with the lack of strain relief on housings and now you've confirmed for me that there isn't a chin slider which is disappointing. But on the sound quality front, if they sound the way you describe it, I'd agree it's pretty good for an extra $10.

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 13
  My review's up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/penon-iem/reviews/14676

More or less okay for just $10, but there are better alternatives (KZ for example). Quite coloured and bass-bloated.

Whaddya know, another bass-skewed low-price offering in the audio world haha. Based on your impressions, I'm not even sure it would be worth the $10. Not because of the sound quality, but because you have to buy something else from Penon Audio at the same time in order to get these. As stated, why not just go straight for the KZ? Pretty similar pricing for arguably more versatile performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back