or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) - Page 300

post #4486 of 30648
twister always seems to have good reviews, and I like how he's honest about it. He says it's not his preferred signature , that they aren't worth $99.00, and that it's a bassy IEM that's got recessed mids. The prototypical consumer IEM. Straightforward, honest review with no unnecessary positives. I like it. Well done.
post #4487 of 30648

KC06A and VSD3S set a bar pretty high, for my personal taste.  If Ostry can come up with a removable cable model to use standard MMCX (not the "proprietary" mmcx used in VSD3S), these probably would be my IDEAL iems.  Until then, I will have to use their stethoscope cable jacket lol!!!  The same with VSD3S, why use a connector that can't be backward compatible with a ton of replacement cables where for $30-$40 I can get a decent silver-plated one to brighten the sound :)  Other than that, those two are still at the top of my list, review is coming up!

post #4488 of 30648
I'm adding this here, and not sure if this mod has been advertised, so...For those who might be frustrated with the sound of your Xaiomi Pistons 2.0, I just modded them by removing the screen, gutting the filters on the inside, and adding a very small square of ear tip foam (2cm up and down), and inserting it all the way in the back in the well where the filter sat. The treble gets clearer, the bass tightens up, and the sound is smoother and more open. Still not smooth like Tenore smooth, but still..makes these a way better listen. A good fun listen.
post #4489 of 30648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceP11 View Post

I'm adding this here, and not sure if this mod has been advertised, so...For those who might be frustrated with the sound of your Xaiomi Pistons 2.0, I just modded them by removing the screen, gutting the filters on the inside, and adding a very small square of ear tip foam (2cm up and down), and inserting it all the way in the back in the well where the filter sat. The treble gets clearer, the bass tightens up, and the sound is smoother and more open. Still not smooth like Tenore smooth, but still..makes these a way better listen. A good fun listen.

 

Pictures? 

post #4490 of 30648
@twister6, which do you prefer most? Just to lay down, close eyes in the dark, and lose yourself? Ostry KC06A, Audio Technica IM03, or Zero Audio Doppio?
post #4491 of 30648
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJScope View Post

Pictures? 







On the second pic, though hard to see, the foam is pushed all the way to the back, covering the sound vent hole at the rear well.
Edited by LanceP11 - 7/10/14 at 8:18pm
post #4492 of 30648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceP11 View Post

  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)






On the second pic, though hard to see, the foam is pushed all the way to the back, covering the sound vent hole at the rear well.

 

So you've put damping foam in both back and front ports? Can you replace the grille, or is this a permanent mod?

post #4493 of 30648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceP11 View Post

@twister6, which do you prefer most? Just to lay down, close eyes in the dark, and lose yourself? Ostry KC06A, Audio Technica IM03, or Zero Audio Doppio?


I will have to get back to you on this one.  Listening to KC06/KC06A now after more burn in hours.  I might have to flip-flop my opinion with a preference more toward KC06.  After closer listening, KC06A is more v-shaped than I expected (with boosted sub-bass), while KC06 is like a love-child of RE400 and Tenores (reference sig) where you get a great bass quality with additional quantity to give it more body and detailed mids to make vocals sound very natural, detailed, and smooth.  RE400 lacks brightness for my taste, and my reference sig Tenores lack body due to anemic low frequency (plus I have been getting a bit annoyed by their inconsistent performance).  I haven't listen to Doppio's in awhile, but those had reference sound sig, maybe a little too bright and not as much bass (need to go back to re-evaluate it).  But Doppios built quality is amazing!!!  IM03 - I have a psychological factor where something that cost 6x as much as these other giant killers doesn't perform 6x better :)  I will be doing more listening in the next few days, time permitting, and will update my opinion as I go along.

post #4494 of 30648
I am loving the penonaudio iem it's natural sounding ūüėä
post #4495 of 30648
Just foam in the very back port. The grill is permanent. I tried the tea bag filter to replace the grill, but it really didn't make much difference, so I just left it as is.
post #4496 of 30648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceP11 View Post

Just foam in the very back port. The grill is permanent. I tried the tea bag filter to replace the grill, but it really didn't make much difference, so I just left it as is.

 

My Pistons mods is documented somewhere in that thread, with pictures.  After I removed the grill and the filter, I closed the nozzle with RE400 stick-on filter - to keep it clean and to tame down high frequencies ;)  Worked really good!!!

post #4497 of 30648
This is the first time in a long time I'm actually enjoying the Pistons. They sound like a whole different IEM with this mod. The sound sig isn't offensive to me anymore.
post #4498 of 30648
Just ordered the ostry KC06 gold and will hype them as they deserve ūüėĀ
post #4499 of 30648
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochill View Post

Just ordered the ostry KC06 gold and will hype them as they deserve ūüėĀ

Looking forward, mo! From what I read about early KC06 and comparing to the one I got now (June build), it sounds like Ostry repackaged and retuned these. Gold should be identical to the original. 

post #4500 of 30648
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochill View Post

Just ordered the ostry KC06 gold and will hype them as they deserve ūüėĀ

 

Isn't the gold version KC06 the same as the regular KC06?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)