Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Dec 10, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #2,281 of 2,804
I'm not sure how much I should be listening to reviews on amazon....

But I was influenced by my local pen store and was looking at the Cross year of the snake 2013 M Nib.

I like the stylish look of it and I'm more fond of heavier pens that aren't too thick or long.

Any thoughts from the enthusiasts?

Well, the Special Edition Snake is an Apogee with a fancy finish so you could try that first before spending the dosh on the snake.

There are very few retailers who even sell fountain pens here where I live. And the ones that do usually only carry 3-10 models between all the pens they carry.
I wouldn't be able to try any higher end pens except Mont blanc which is out of my price range.

I currently have the sheaffer ferrari 100 and like the weight and nib quite a bit. Looking for something with similar dimensions and weight but better ink flow.
I'm not sure how much I should be listening to reviews on amazon....

For books, there's no better place.

For FPs, its full of comments by people who almost nothing about using FPs.

I know. I see reviews for headphones that make no sense to an audiophile. I understand that a lot of the reviews are pointless.

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #2,282 of 2,804
There are very few retailers who even sell fountain pens here where I live. And the ones that do usually only carry 3-10 models between all the pens they carry.
I wouldn't be able to try any higher end pens except Mont blanc which is out of my price range.

I currently have the sheaffer ferrari 100 and like the weight and nib quite a bit. Looking for something with similar dimensions and weight but better ink flow.
I know. I see reviews for headphones that make no sense to an audiophile. I understand that a lot of the reviews are pointless.

Are you looking for something specific in terms of design?

What do you like about the Sheaffer's nib?

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #2,283 of 2,804

Are you looking for something specific in terms of design?

What do you like about the Sheaffer's nib?

I like smoother nibs that flow well.
The ink doesn't flow that well on the sheaffer

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #2,284 of 2,804

Smooth nibs that flow well. ..hmmm thats how most good nibs feel.

What's your price range?

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #2,285 of 2,804

Smooth nibs that flow well. ..hmmm thats how most good nibs feel.

What's your price range?

I'd prefer around $150-200
The year of the snake is aesthetically appealing (since I'll be using it in public mostly) but I'm not sure if it's like the beats by dre of pens for all I know

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #2,286 of 2,804
The year of the snake is aesthetically appealing (since I'll be using it in public mostly) but I'm not sure if it's like the beats by dre of pens for all I know

You can easily get a Pelikan for that amount. Or a Pilot.

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #2,287 of 2,804

You can easily get a Pelikan for that amount. Or a Pilot.
pelikan looks nice but there are so many models from the looks of it. Are there some that are rated better than others or can I assume whichever I buy in the $200 price range is nice?
I'm still looking at the cross.

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #2,288 of 2,804
pelikan looks nice but there are so many models from the looks of it. Are there some that are rated better than others or can I assume whichever I buy in the $200 price range is nice?

I'd probably start with the M200(in green marble personally) in the Pelikan range.

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #2,289 of 2,804

I'd probably start with the M200(in green marble personally) in the Pelikan range.

If I read correctly the m200 is 14g?
That would definitely be too light for me...

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,290 of 2,804

Hi GL1TCH3D
There are a few pens to choose from in your price range.
The production line Edison pens, Lamy 2000, Pilot/Namiki Falcon, Pilot Custom 74, Pilot Vanishing Point, Platinum 3776 Century, Sailor 1911 standard size, most Franklin Christoph models.

The Pelikan M200/400 are indeed very light and kind of smaller in size, but feel good in hand!

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #2,291 of 2,804

Hi GL1TCH3D
There are a few pens to choose from in your price range.
The production line Edison pens, Lamy 2000, Pilot/Namiki Falcon, Pilot Custom 74, Pilot Vanishing Point, Platinum 3776 Century, Sailor 1911 standard size, most Franklin Christoph models.

The Pelikan M200/400 are indeed very light and kind of smaller in size, but feel good in hand!

:   :   Pilot Metal Falcon   :   :

Yes, I am suggesting you add $40 (or less) to your spending prefs and get up and go get it! 

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #2,292 of 2,804
:   :   Pilot Metal Falcon   :   :

Yes, I am suggesting you add $40 (or less) to your spending prefs and get up and go get it! 

Silent One,
You should be expecting a call from Pilot...to be their brand ambassador.

The Falcon is a good choice, there's the Resin version, which sells for around $50 less than the Erabo, and is lighter in comparison to.

I've been thinking about getting the VP Fermo. The twist mechanism I like, the clip on the wrong side, not as much.
I find it the most streamlined among the VP range.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #2,293 of 2,804
Silent One,
You should be expecting a call from Pilot...to be their brand ambassador.

The Falcon is a good choice, there's the Resin version, which sells for around $50 less than the Erabo, and is lighter in comparison to.

wink.gif
 I absolutely adore my twin Pilots... and there's that ink 
rolleyes.gif
... too much beauty! Actually, I didn't have the budget for a Metal Falcon and dialed my expectations down to get the resin version. I will point out that I both enjoy the metal body and added weight, as well as the larger cartridge. 

It took me a few months to save for the resin body purchase. The night I went to order, I realized it wasn't what I really wanted and would suffer upgradeitis the moment I took delivery. So, I went ahead and covered the difference. I am not exaggerating when I say Amazon dropped it on my porch so quick 
blink.gif
 I thought there had been a mistake!

The moment I held it in my hand it was over! I sat down, filled the cartridge with Lady Shikibu and wrote. I ordered the second Metal Falcon just days later...

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #2,294 of 2,804
:wink:  I absolutely adore my twin Pilots... and there's that ink :rolleyes: ... too much beauty! Actually, I didn't have the budget for a Metal Falcon and dialed my expectations down to get the resin version. I will point out that I both enjoy the metal body and added weight, as well as the larger cartridge. 

It took me a few months to save for the resin body purchase. The night I went to order, I realized it wasn't what I really wanted and would suffer upgradeitis the moment I took delivery. So, I went ahead and covered the difference. I am not exaggerating when I say Amazon dropped it on my porch so quick :blink:  I thought there had been a mistake!

The moment I held it in my hand it was over! I sat down, filled the cartridge with Lady Shikibu and wrote. I ordered the second Metal Falcon just days later...

Which nibs do you have?
I have the SEF. Its not smooth as glass, but thats expected for such a fine nib.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back