PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Sep 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2,881 of 9,120
No one builds their own PC here... It all about OMG IS THAT THE NEW XBOX?!?!?

No ppl do build pc's there. Just the professionals and not the consumers. Still AGP is OLD... I'll have to ask my Professor why the hell were teaching it as "modern" do we need to know about Agp AMR an CNR... yea... gawd knows where going to see it in the feild, should we EVER introduce those as MODERN tech... no it's all as dirt and no used for a reason 

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #2,882 of 9,120
No ppl do build pc's there. Just the professionals and not the consumers. Still AGP is OLD... I'll have to ask my Professor why the hell were teaching it as "modern" do we need to know about Agp AMR an CNR... yea... gawd knows where going to see it in the feild, should we EVER introduce those as MODERN tech... no it's all as dirt and no used for a reason 
I'm talking about my age and generation.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #2,885 of 9,120
Friend: I think I'm gonna build my own computer.
Me: Do you know what static discharge is?
Friend: No.
Me: You're screwed. (Walks away)
Lol

-.- shame on you, don't ever b so rude to some one who doesn't know... TEACH THEM... you dang whipper snappers! 

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,886 of 9,120
Friend: I think I'm gonna build my own computer.
Me: Do you know what static discharge is?
Friend: No.
Me: You're screwed. (Walks away)
Lol

FWIW, I gave up on the static discharge thing years ago. I used to be the person that wore one of those wired bracelets and grounded it to the chassis while working on the inside of the computer but one day I needed to throw together a computer in like 30 minutes and said "F it". Built 3 comps since then and haven't bothered and never had a problem. You gotta figure, your arms and skin are always in contact with the case during the install anyway and personally I never seem to have any static electricity issues at all while working inside my case.

Don't give up on your friend yet. We need more "system builders" in this world. I'd love to see it really take off so that the competition increases and prices go down. I've tried (and succeeded in a very few cases) to convince my coworkers and friends to build their own because fact is, it's easy, cost-effective, and I think very rewarding. Most people do not understand just how easy it is to build a computer nowadays...it's no more difficult than driving a car for the first time, and once you learn, you're set. There's very little that can go wrong and it's obvious where everything should go even if all you do is stare at the parts without reading the manuals. Once you're in the software, there are practically guided tours on the internet for testing each individual component to ensure proper operation.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #2,888 of 9,120
FWIW, I gave up on the static discharge thing years ago. I used to be the person that wore one of those wired bracelets and grounded it to the chassis while working on the inside of the computer but one day I needed to throw together a computer in like 30 minutes and said "F it". Built 3 comps since then and haven't bothered and never had a problem. You gotta figure, your arms and skin are always in contact with the case during the install anyway and personally I never seem to have any static electricity issues at all while working inside my case.

Don't give up on your friend yet. We need more "system builders" in this world. I'd love to see it really take off so that the competition increases and prices go down. I've tried (and succeeded in a very few cases) to convince my coworkers and friends to build their own because fact is, it's easy, cost-effective, and I think very rewarding. Most people do not understand just how easy it is to build a computer nowadays...it's no more difficult than driving a car for the first time, and once you learn, you're set. There's very little that can go wrong and it's obvious where everything should go even if all you do is stare at the parts without reading the manuals. Once you're in the software, there are practically guided tours on the internet for testing each individual component to ensure proper operation.
When I finished my PC, I plugged in the Ethernet cable, and it didn't work. I tried going directly into the modem and all this crap, and out of frustration, started bashing my head against my desk. Then I remembered the mobo driver disks. Hehe

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #2,889 of 9,120
Well, compared to ISA and Vesa Local Bus video cards, yeah, I guess AGP is modern... LOL! :wink:
(and yes I had both types of video cards... and no, I'm not THAAAAT old... :p)

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #2,890 of 9,120
Vesa Local Bus... I miss those cards... 14' long and about 800 TTL's on each one...

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #2,891 of 9,120
I just spent the last hour-and-a-half draining my water-cooling loop, removing the graphics card, removing the waterblock and checking if anything's visibly wrong, re-installing the waterblock, re-installing the card itself, re-filling the loop and testing for leaks while bleeding it of air, and finally, trying to start up my system again.

All because, on occasion, my GTX 480 seems to go AWOL from the system. I suspect it has to do with the stress a full-copper waterblock's weight will bring on the card PCB and the mobo's PCIe slot.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2,892 of 9,120
  I just spent the last hour-and-a-half draining my water-cooling loop, removing the graphics card, removing the waterblock and checking if anything's visibly wrong, re-installing the waterblock, re-installing the card itself, re-filling the loop and testing for leaks while bleeding it of air, and finally, trying to start up my system again.

All because, on occasion, my GTX 480 seems to go AWOL from the system. I suspect it has to do with the stress a full-copper waterblock's weight will bring on the card PCB and the mobo's PCIe slot.

How long was the heavy block on the GPU for? I doubt it would make a difference unless you left it there to warp for several days.  So is it just the GPU dropping video randomly or does it not even boot?

More importantly why water cool an old 480? lol

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #2,893 of 9,120
  lawl who want's to hear the fun stories and questions from my PC class

this one cracked me up, 

Name two bus Ports in modern machines that support video

Asumming modern is uhhh hmm the last what 4 or so years?

I choose PCIe and Pci

the correct answer was PCIe and AGP [what?]

Seriously AGP, I've not seen an AGP port on a "modern" mobo or hell even a modern Gpu in a while honestly 

yea... agp died with uhh XP it seems... looking just at prices... the BEST AGP gpu sold at new egg... priced at like $79... is out performed by a $40 PCI Gpu [which is not really that better]

My point being is modern PC's do not use AGP... hell even PCI is a little out dated. Granted while AGP may still be a common port it is NOT modern 

Not modern!

Best seller where I work though :wink:
Some people will buy anything that includes a wireless keyboard and mouse haha

On my Cambridge exam, one of the questions asked was going on about the most suitable form of backup storage for a corporate server.  Corporate servers usually have high volume transfers, and generally backup frequently.  So naturally, your typical red label NAS storage clusters in some raid configuration was my answer.

The right answer was tape storage...  TAPE STORAGE. Tape Storage is supposedly more "durable", OK!  This is Cambridge here too...

lol. never had any issues either. 
Definitely agree, really easy to setup a PC!

I think PC companies like Lenovo can be really competitive, how's $300 for an i7/12GB DDR3 desktop haha

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #2,894 of 9,120
Well, compared to ISA and Vesa Local Bus video cards, yeah, I guess AGP is modern... LOL! :wink:
(and yes I had both types of video cards... and no, I'm not THAAAAT old... :p)
... Wow... u r old face it! Vesa n igp r what like win 93 n 95

Users who are viewing this thread

Back