PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Nov 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #61 of 9,120
Oh I have. Edit .ini files, disabling certain features, processor cores, misc. hotfixes, all that. Some games... just don't roll with the punches, homie.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #62 of 9,120
Quote:
Oh I have. Edit .ini files, disabling certain features, processor cores, misc. hotfixes, all that. Some games... just don't roll with the punches, homie.

There are those, but after some tweaking here and there. I have not been able to get not a single game not working on my computer. My English professer would cringe at that sentence.

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #63 of 9,120
For me, it became harder as my hardware aged, almost no issues the first year or two. Something that could be a cheap fix would simply be upgrading to Win7/8, but I'd rather wait for a new PC build before investing any time or money.

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #64 of 9,120
Quote:
For me, it became harder as my hardware aged, almost no issues the first year or two. Something that could be a cheap fix would simply be upgrading to Win7/8, but I'd rather wait for a new PC build before investing any time or money.

Sub $1000 is usually the sweet spot these days for a build. 
As of right now for example
$60 Case (mid ATX)
$165 GPU (7850/7870)
$225-$245 CPU (Intel Xenon 1230 V2)
$40 8GB RAM (Samsung Wonder RAM or standard Gaming RAM)
$70 Samsung/Intel/Plextor SSD 128GB 
$70 1-1.5TB HDD (WD/Samsung 1 platters with good feedback)
$140-$150 Motherboard (Asrock/MSI/Gigabyte) (ASUS too expensive with not enough features or performance compared to comp at this price point)
$20 ASUS or Samsung DVD Drive
$20 Air cooling for the hell of it
$50 PSU Modular preferably
$60 for extra crap/cooling/aesthetics/ or more updated add ons you want.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #65 of 9,120
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/13/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-review

Black OPS 2 comes out with a glowing review from IGN. 9.3/10 for an amazing score.

It's first few paragraphs on how the narration and what happened to create such a "villain" itself made me want to play it really.

I am not biased towards COD. I was a fan of COD back when everyone my age wasn't. I started playing COD with COD 1:Finest Hour and went on to buy almost all the COD's.This was a time when other franchises and Halo took top spot with my friends but I always held on, saving my money every week so that I can buy COD 2:Big red One or COD 3. Oh man did I love COD. 

So no. I am not one of "those" PC Enthusiasts. If a PC Enthusiast was a psychographic, I would not be one. But it itself is mainly a term that others can refer to us and etc etc thankfully. I do not believe in going with pre conceived bias that most will show. That bias now adays is not as out there 100% as it used to be. That bias still applies to a "brand" (cough cough) but otherwise it is hidden these days in the culture of the enthusiasts. Where they will add on to their statements or add that one sentence to try to make it less bias. You can punch a kid and then write the Declaration of Independence right there on the spot to try to confuse the majority of readers on what happened but none the less, it is in there. Bias that is.

I reserve all my opinions on companies or franchises such as HALO, COD, Apple, Micorosft, Nokia until I have touched or used their products myself. Otherwise, it is just my market analysis or opinion on what is happening. I will not bash Win 8 until I have used it extensively and see  how the market and games and companies are responding to it for my benefit. I will not bash Halo and its new adaption on being stupid or bad until I played it, I will not bash Microsoft on their Windows phone until I used one. I will not bash Apple unless I have also used their products. Same thing. That is one thing that escapes many of the psychologically grouped "PC Enthusiasts" these days.

And so I shall say that I will play BO2 and see how it is. I will start later today

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #66 of 9,120
Looking forward to seeing what you think of BLOPS 2. I actually just bought a new Xbox to play Halo 4. While Halo has been up and down for me I still think the series has had some of the most solid, balanced multiplayer ever. I've heard many good things about Halo 4 (including the fact that the sound is the best in the series which if that doesn't make you drool you don't belong on Head-fi. :D ) and am looking forward to playing it.

tl;dr - Let me know if BLOPS 2 is good. I hated the first one, but I'll always give the COD series another chance. COD 2 is still some of my best videogame memories.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #67 of 9,120
Quote:
Looking forward to seeing what you think of BLOPS 2. I actually just bought a new Xbox to play Halo 4. While Halo has been up and down for me I still think the series has had some of the most solid, balanced multiplayer ever. I've heard many good things about Halo 4 (including the fact that the sound is the best in the series which if that doesn't make you drool you don't belong on Head-fi. :D ) and am looking forward to playing it.

tl;dr - Let me know if BLOPS 2 is good. I hated the first one, but I'll always give the COD series another chance. COD 2 is still some of my best videogame memories.

I heard mixed things about HAlo 4. A head-fi'er and my friend Mechy played the game and hated it. But there are so many glowing reviews from reviewers that is hard for me to tell. I am more of a PC gamer but also have an Xbox 360.

I want to connect my Xbox 360 to my desktop units if I was to do that with Halo 4 :) Gotta hear everything.

I will. I didn't really care for the first one. 7/10 on the regular scale. 5/10 on a real scale. I think I shall use the real imperial scale. One of my friends uses it. It is not used very often or at all by reviewers because most people are used to seeing 7-10's. But if we were to say that the majority of games that were average which were 7.5-8's were the most out there. Then they would be a 5/10 on that scale if you get what I mean.

I liked some of the weapons even if they aren't historically accurate and have some of COD's famous shotgun problems (shoots only 1-2meters for insta kill, what the heck?) but overall I don't remember the game haha. Hell, I don't even remember MW3 and I played all of them. I just looked at some screenshots and suprisingly, BO1 was more well kept and remembered by me than the newer MW3. The nuclear stations and those stealth missions in BO1 are what I remember very well and enjoyed playing.

Normal scale:

MW1: 8.5/10
MW2: 7.8/10
BO1: 8/10
MW3: 7/10

Is how it went for me basically on that scale.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #68 of 9,120
I have very little time for videogames lately and I've been considering building a new PC to play some, but console games are more relaxing for me when I have next to no time to play.

Shooters on PC are almost always better, but if you're a PC gamer and play on say an Xbox 360 I've noticed (at least with my friends and I) that our KD ratio is absurdly high on consoles.

I had a few close friends tell me Halo 4 was good and we'll be playing online together so it was a no brainer to pick up. Plus I've always just...been a good Halo player. Something about the melee mechanics make me very happy.

Quote:
I heard mixed things about HAlo 4. A head-fi'er and my friend Mechy played the game and hated it. But there are so many glowing reviews from reviewers that is hard for me to tell. I am more of a PC gamer but also have an Xbox 360.

I want to connect my Xbox 360 to my desktop units if I was to do that with Halo 4 :) Gotta hear everything.

I will. I didn't really care for the first one. 7/10 on the regular scale. 5/10 on a real scale. I think I shall use the real imperial scale. One of my friends uses it. It is not used very often or at all by reviewers because most people are used to seeing 7-10's. But if we were to say that the majority of games that were average which were 7.5-8's were the most out there. Then they would be a 5/10 on that scale if you get what I mean.

I liked some of the weapons even if they aren't historically accurate and have some of COD's famous shotgun problems (shoots only 1-2meters for insta kill, what the heck?) but overall I don't remember the game haha. Hell, I don't even remember MW3 and I played all of them. I just looked at some screenshots and suprisingly, BO1 was more well kept and remembered by me than the newer MW3. The nuclear stations and those stealth missions in BO1 are what I remember very well and enjoyed playing.

Normal scale:

MW1: 8.5/10
MW2: 7.8/10
BO1: 8/10
MW3: 7/10

Is how it went for me basically on that scale.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #69 of 9,120
Quote:
I have very little time for videogames lately and I've been considering building a new PC to play some, but console games are more relaxing for me when I have next to no time to play.

Shooters on PC are almost always better, but if you're a PC gamer and play on say an Xbox 360 I've noticed (at least with my friends and I) that our KD ratio is absurdly high on consoles.

I had a few close friends tell me Halo 4 was good and we'll be playing online together so it was a no brainer to pick up. Plus I've always just...been a good Halo player. Something about the melee mechanics make me very happy.

If you need any help with that new build or consultants. Here we are :)

I think so too. All those RTS games as well. Although many games today work better on console as they spent more time on it. For example Dishonored and Skyrim. Controls work well but the closeness of the controller and the time the team spent on getting the experience right on the controller mattered more than the PC.

Really? Not me. I couldn't aim if my life depended on it after I got back on controller. I used to do pretty well. Top 1/3 of matches. Nothing too special but nice. Now. I couldn't aim for my life. It always went off spot or went somewhere else. Which got me to thinking why I always find so much ammo in games these days when on the PC, I barely use 10% of it before finding some more. While on console, I desperately need it.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #70 of 9,120
Hey all...I am looking to replace my 5yr old desktop and I like to play cod2. Mymachine is getting behind most other players and it's showing. I will continue with cod2 but do want to try the later and newest cod games. My budget is $500 (I know it's small) so what would be the best deal for this pultry sum? Would I be better off with uilding something (I have the ability) or going with something off the shelf? In regards to processors, are AMD or Pentium processors better for gaming? Are the more cores you have improve game play or is there a gradual drop in gameplay do a diminishing return point? I could use my current case so I would just need mother board/processor and memory. For now I will use my current video and sound card. Thanks for your advice...Terry

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #71 of 9,120
Quote:
Hey all...I am looking to replace my 5yr old desktop and I like to play cod2. Mymachine is getting behind most other players and it's showing. I will continue with cod2 but do want to try the later and newest cod games. My budget is $500 (I know it's small) so what would be the best deal for this pultry sum? Would I be better off with uilding something (I have the ability) or going with something off the shelf? In regards to processors, are AMD or Pentium processors better for gaming? Are the more cores you have improve game play or is there a gradual drop in gameplay do a diminishing return point? I could use my current case so I would just need mother board/processor and memory. For now I will use my current video and sound card. Thanks for your advice...Terry

Intel overall does better in gaming but you can still get a nice build for $200. You may even just be able to replace a few parts in your desktop if it isn't that old.
What are the specs of your machine?

This is a good example for a machine at $500
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/build_pc_any_budget_three_builds_500_2000?page=0,1

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #72 of 9,120
Would it be a bad idea to upgrade to Windows 8 this early? And with my hardware:

E8400
500GB 7200RPM Caviar Black
2G Ram
HD4850 512MB

Doing it mainly because newer games are becoming less XP-compatible. Will I suffer by upgrading, performance-wise? (In general) Also, if I install Win8 on my HDD, can I easily migrate my data to an SSD later on?

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #73 of 9,120
Quote:
Would it be a bad idea to upgrade to Windows 8 this early? And with my hardware:

E8400
500GB 7200RPM Caviar Black
2G Ram
HD4850 512MB

Doing it mainly because newer games are becoming less XP-compatible. Will I suffer by upgrading, performance-wise? (In general) Also, if I install Win8 on my HDD, can I easily migrate my data to an SSD later on?

Wait you are running Win XP?
Yes,s ome games are becomming DX10 supported only. Which is quite weird. Because that is the limitation they are imposing on PC's while the Xbox 360 is a DX9 system and thus their games are in DX9 for those. 

2GB of RAM, and low compatability with new games or up comming games is not a sure thing. Win 7 is the best compatability right now (duh) but why upgrade to that and then upgrade to win 8 a half year later. Most games right now even the new ones comming out aren't Win 8 fully compatable yet and even Steam which is said to be compatible has a few glitches to work out.

You may want to upgrade that RAM. There is no excuse. 4GB of DDR3 Gaming ram or Samsung wonder ram is only $18.

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #74 of 9,120
I forgot to mention, I do have a copy of Windows 7 Enterprise. Should I just install that, and wait until Win8 becomes all warm and toasty? (Seems like a yes)

How much life does DDR3 have left? Don't want to invest in the ram, but not be able to use it for a new rig 1-2 years from now. If the question is even answerable, apologies. (My current ram is DDR2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back