PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Feb 2, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #4,441 of 9,120
  I agree with what most people are saying. Drop the sound card, and reduce prices in places that don't need it. Case, dvd drive, and cheaper Ram maybe.

However, if you really like that Zalman, go for it. Otherwise, there are cheaper cases that are well recommended from NZXT, CoolerMaster and Rosewill in the $29 price range to use. But of course, its only $10 less. If you really like that case, go for it.

I however, wouldn't think of spending more on Seasonic or any of that since you have such a low budget. Because really, cheap power supplies rarely are actualy that bad. You are using a very basic APU without much on it. Even if you want to OC this and that, it's not going to be a problem for a 'general' power supply. Most PSU's for computers in the world are literally of the same quality that enthusiasts call crap. And yes, they do have higher failure rates but even then, it's still very small in the whole sense of things. I for example, out of the 10+ cheap power supplies I have bought and put into client computers, have never had one fail within 2-3 years. One that I bought for $10 (bad mistake) was DOA, but that was literally because ...it was $10. And one made it past 4 years on another clients before it finally crapped out.

You can wait for the APU that Haiburi is referring to, or get what you want. Just keep in mind that reviews and benchmarks are generally perceived and interpreteded in weird ways in the human mind. The numbers aren't wrong, but we are interpreting them differently. Game performance also plays a schiit ton in this.

I don't run Far Cry 3 on full Max on my computer for example. I run EVERYTHING on max except for MSAA 8X. (this literally multiplies your screen resolution by 8X and then downsamples it to native to get rid of the jaggys). When I turn on 8X. My FPS is around 35FPS min to 42FPS avg....but oh gosh is it unplayable. The FPS counter isn't showing it, but there are lots of sudden spikes, drops, lags, texture pops, millisecond screen freezes etc at that. This right here is a problem that happens very often on APU systems in where even though reviews show a 30FPS....because of the intergrated on die APU and some other schiit, it will have some of those 'spike' issues. It happens to every APU I built to a certain extent. 

They sell a full ATX version with the whistles for $400 lol.  Can take out the 6770/7770 and get a USB DAC/Amp and or upgrade to a 7970 (If possible).

Just have to do a lot of stalking, its a monthly kind of deal unfortunately.  But the cases are more premium, and better performance for the money?  I like the idea of a discrete GPU, APUs as you have mentioned have popping issues.  Their implementation of DX is not as good, and graphics in general will look washy even on same detail settings.  Still better than Intel/Nvidia integrated though

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #4,442 of 9,120

Did you check out the specs I posted above you?
They sell a full ATX version with the whistles for $400 lol.  Can take out the 6770/7770 and get a USB DAC/Amp and or upgrade to a 7970 (If possible).

Just have to do a lot of stalking, its a monthly kind of deal unfortunately.  But the cases are more premium, and better performance for the money?  I like the idea of a discrete GPU, APUs as you have mentioned have popping issues.  Their implementation of DX is not as good, and graphics in general will look washy even on same detail settings.  Still better than Intel/Nvidia integrated though

Didn't see it at that moment. 

But yeah, that sounds awesome :D Drop in a GPU and whooosh. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #4,446 of 9,120
  I'm sure this is how DonutDeflector sees us as now

lol
The guy on the left is hardly an enthusiast.  Looks like one of "those" gamers...

He should be lugging one of these:

Do not associate us with that scum bowei. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #4,447 of 9,120
Just in case anyone is looking at a Z87 board - I upgraded my gaming rig to a Gigabyte Sniper 5 a month ago. I found the upgrade was worth it just for the quality of the on-board headphone amp. It sounds excellent with my Shure 1840s!

I have not even looked into swapping op-amps yet - I'm happy enough with the stock setup.

It's not dedicated amp (e.g.V200) good, but for the built-in convenience vs quality I rate it 8/10.

(http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4487#ov )

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #4,449 of 9,120
  lol
The guy on the left is hardly an enthusiast.  Looks like one of "those" gamers...

He should be lugging one of these:

Do not associate us with that scum bowei. 
biggrin.gif

lol....what is that? A home-made server!!?

Finally going 2011 any suggestions on CPU? Can't decide.

I've heard many good things about the Intel Celeron CPU. Maybe the Pentium D as well. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #4,451 of 9,120
lol....what is that? A home-made server!!?

I've heard many good things about the Intel Celeron CPU. Maybe the Pentium D as well. 

What you on about socket 2011.

3930K if you need the cores.  The IPC increase by going with Ivy Bridge is easily washed out by the higher overclock you can get with the Sandy Bridge part.  Seems like most of the 49** chips top out at 4,5ghz where the 39** chips hit 4.8 or higher on water.

No cheap used 3930k's, I was thinking 4820k for now and then hexacore few months after when I get more cashola. I do have a local offer to guy for a 3960x for $600, it is tempting. Just won a Rampage IV extreme last night, the rest of my rig is complete however.

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #4,452 of 9,120
What you on about socket 2011.
No cheap used 3930k's, I was thinking 4820k for now and then hexacore few months after when I get more cashola. I do have a local offer to guy for a 3960x for $600, it is tempting. Just won a Rampage IV extreme last night, the rest of my rig is complete however.

Ahh, I'm sorry. Pentium 4 may be a better choice then. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #4,455 of 9,120
I have Pentium 4's lying around.

Try to jab one in? I'm sure it'll work out somehow? 

The reviews sound amazing
http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/2000/dp112000.htm
http://www.anandtech.com/show/661
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1142745
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel,264.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back