PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jan 7, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #3,961 of 9,120
****ing Metrocast. My parents cancel TV and now they've done something to the internet. Ping used to stay below 30ms and speeds stayed 12+ Mbps in most cases but now ping is 100+ ms most of the time and download speeds are 10 Mbps if I'm lucky. What

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #3,962 of 9,120
Guys, I need your help. My friend's PC isn't working, I'm gonna go back tomorrow to check it out again. It's stuck in a boot loop that won't stop, and I can find anything wrong with the build. It boots up for 1 second, fans and everything, and shuts down. It loops continuously until I flick the rear power switch. I'm bringing my OC speaker over tomorrow and I'll see if that works.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #3,963 of 9,120
Guys, I need your help. My friend's PC isn't working, I'm gonna go back tomorrow to check it out again. It's stuck in a boot loop that won't stop, and I can find anything wrong with the build. It boots up for 1 second, fans and everything, and shuts down. It loops continuously until I flick the rear power switch. I'm bringing my OC speaker over tomorrow and I'll see if that works.

First thing to check is the RAM. Pull a the stick furthest to the right and try, if that doesn't work replace the stick to the left with that one and try again. This is assuming it's a dual channel setup of course. Try one stick at a time until you've tried them all. Make sure to leave the PC plugged in(but power switch on the back turned off) and make sure to touch the case before you work inside. Static can be a real killer this time of year.

Is your friend's computer a new build or has he been using it for awhile already? Can you give us a parts list?

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #3,964 of 9,120
  ****ing Metrocast. My parents cancel TV and now they've done something to the internet. Ping used to stay below 30ms and speeds stayed 12+ Mbps in most cases but now ping is 100+ ms most of the time and download speeds are 10 Mbps if I'm lucky. What

It may just be because you canceled the service that you are getting momentary problems, but it may also be your neighborhood. You never had good MC service right?

I only have the internet package with MC. I've never a problem getting above the speeds I pay for.

Metrocast constantly updates their(or whoevers) 'wiring' and service. Back when we went to Metrocast, the max was somewhere around 20Mb/s, but then they upgraded to 38Mb/s. With a cable modem reset, we got the 38Mb/s. And right now, they recently upgraded the max tier to 50Mb/s. I am getting 45Mb/s always.

Your area had problems with Metrocast before right? It's probably you guys just having schitty service over there. 

I guess this is one of those times.

ATT sucks and MC is your only choice in that neighborhood. With that in mind, the video does a decent job with a pessimistic view at what may be going on.

Bad RAM, motherboard short, incompatable hardware, possible bios fw update. Etc.

There are 99 things that a boot loop could mean but an easy solution ain't one

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #3,965 of 9,120
First thing to check is the RAM. Pull a the stick furthest to the right and try, if that doesn't work replace the stick to the left with that one and try again. This is assuming it's a dual channel setup of course. Try one stick at a time until you've tried them all. Make sure to leave the PC plugged in(but power switch on the back turned off) and make sure to touch the case before you work inside. Static can be a real killer this time of year.

Is your friend's computer a new build or has he been using it for awhile already? Can you give us a parts list?
Brand new, never turned on before. The parts list is a few pages back. Mind looking?

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #3,966 of 9,120
Brand new, never turned on before. The parts list is a few pages back. Mind looking?

Brand new hardware doesn't mean its without error.

Pull every every every single component out that isn't required.

Remeber to check all the grounding screws as well. Make sure all the brass standoffs are in AND IN THE CORRECT SPOTS. 

Make it barebones, and do a startup test

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #3,967 of 9,120

Unfortunately that makes it harder to diagnose as anything could be faulty really. Fortunatly you got a chip/mobo with integrated graphics so you can test and see if that's the problem. Speaking of which, reminds me that I forgot about another step in my graphics card journey. I think I first downgraded my 6970 to a 7870 that I got a real good price on... and that's what caused my power supply to blow up and take all my hard drives with it. I have the worst luck... :xf_eek: An 850W XFX BE should have been easily able to handle that card.

Anyway, I didn't you see list a PSU for your build. What are you using? That may be the source of the problem.

If you've tried the RAM and the GPU, then I guess the next step would be to pull the board out and test it on a non-conductive surface(a wooden table or something) to make sure something isn't shorting out the board inside the case.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #3,968 of 9,120
Brand new hardware doesn't mean its without error.

Pull every every every single component out that isn't required.

Remeber to check all the grounding screws as well. Make sure all the brass standoffs are in AND IN THE CORRECT SPOTS. 

Make it barebones, and do a startup test
The Prodigy has integrated standoffs. I also started it with CPU and RAM only, I'll try nothing but a fan and some other combos.

Unfortunately that makes it harder to diagnose as anything could be faulty really. Fortunatly you got a chip/mobo with integrated graphics so you can test and see if that's the problem. Speaking of which, reminds me that I forgot about another step in my graphics card journey. I think I first downgraded my 6970 to a 7870 that I got a real good price on... and that's what caused my power supply to blow up and take all my hard drives with it. I have the worst luck... :xf_eek: An 850W XFX BE should have been easily able to handle that card.

Anyway, I didn't you see list a PSU for your build. What are you using? That may be the source of the problem.

If you've tried the RAM and the GPU, then I guess the next step would be to pull the board out and test it on a non-conductive surface(a wooden table or something) to make sure something isn't shorting out the board inside the case.
He's using a Corsair CX500M, his build only draws about 400w, so that's more than enough. I tested it on the mobo box and it was still looping, I thought of the shorting thing too, and apparently, that's not the problem.
------
Pretty amazed that some people care... :xf_eek:

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #3,969 of 9,120
The Prodigy has integrated standoffs. I also started it with CPU and RAM only, I'll try nothing but a fan and some other combos.
He's using a Corsair CX500M, his build only draws about 400w, so that's more than enough. I tested it on the mobo box and it was still looping, I thought of the shorting thing too, and apparently, that's not the problem.
Pretty amazed that some people care...
redface.gif

How do you know it only draws 400W. What are you using to measure it.

Current Corsair Build Series PSU's are not very good. The PSU may actually be the problem. Many PSU's that 'aren't very good' just either don't have the rail amperage OR can't take all of its rated load.

My PSU for example can't take 100% load, and you shouldn't assume yours can either. The good expensive ones can.

Do full barebones to see if that powers on. The PSU may have even friend. Bootloop with the cause of overloading a PSU to the point of no return is common. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #3,970 of 9,120
Pretty amazed that some people care...
redface.gif

If you have another PSU, try replacing that and test.  Even if RAM is faulty it should have to be checked, unless you have inserted it wrong/visibly broken (both are unlikely as you would have noticed by now
biggrin.gif
)

If that fails try connecting speaker pins to hear the error beeps.  Manual should correlate the beeping pattern to a specific error.  If you are using any power adapters for the GPU, disconnect it completely and test some more.

I was looking at the 13 steam boxes review and noticed the reviewer thought the Node 304 case was unoriginal.  I really like the case though >.>

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #3,971 of 9,120

Bad RAM, motherboard short, incompatable hardware, possible bios fw update. Etc.

There are 99 things that a boot loop could mean but an easy solution ain't one

Oh snap I commented late

yea my first thought was PSU, you could have a faulty one. As others have mentioned :3

@ the steam boxes... I kinda liked the prototype that steam them selvs built tbh :/ and I am NOT a fan of glowing ANYTHING. My pc is in my room and I like to go to bed and let the thing update... and gawd do I HATE my Blue Front Case Fan xD... and it's a uber pain to get to so replaceing it is... too trouble some atm

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #3,972 of 9,120
If you have another PSU, try replacing that and test.  Even if RAM is faulty it should have to be checked, unless you have inserted it wrong/visibly broken (both are unlikely as you would have noticed by now :D )

If that fails try connecting speaker pins to hear the error beeps.  Manual should correlate the beeping pattern to a specific error.  If you are using any power adapters for the GPU, disconnect it completely and test some more.

I was looking at the 13 steam boxes review and noticed the reviewer thought the Node 304 case was unoriginal.  I really like the case though >.>
Yeah, I'm bringing my speaker over to test it out later.

Oh snap I commented late

yea my first thought was PSU, you could have a faulty one. As others have mentioned :3

@ the steam boxes... I kinda liked the prototype that steam them selvs built tbh :/ and I am NOT a fan of glowing ANYTHING. My pc is in my room and I like to go to bed and let the thing update... and gawd do I HATE my Blue Front Case Fan xD... and it's a uber pain to get to so replaceing it is... too trouble some atm
Don't know where he's gonna get another PSU other than the schitty ones at Best Buy. Man, he's gonna be pissed.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,973 of 9,120
Yeah, I'm bringing my speaker over to test it out later.
Don't know where he's gonna get another PSU other than the schitty ones at Best Buy. Man, he's gonna be pissed.

THERE IS ALWAYS THE INTERNET

How did he get the parts for this unit, I hope he didn't buy EVERYTHING from Best buy q.q he proably paid more than just getting a pre built unit 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back