PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Nov 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #3,286 of 9,120
Getting away from personal lives and back to the hardware; it seems like AMD is on a roll.  Per this graph at a Russian website, their FX-8350 (200 USD per Newegg) squeaks by a 4670K (239 USD).  If you overclock it to the FX-9590 levels you start nipping at the heels of a stock 4770K (339 USD).  Cheapest 990FX motherboard I could find was 105 USD.  The cheapest 1150 motherboard that essentially reaches feature parity is 130 USD.  That's an extra 64 USD in your pocket; a next level up videocard upgrade for essentially free.

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #3,289 of 9,120
Anybody here willing to host a Terraria server. :p

Too much fun playing 1.2, and I only got the game from a freebie a month or two before the update. Can't stop playing...
(GASP) Hello, fellow Terrarian. If you may, my friend and I host a private server, and I don't know if I could trust you, but if you have a Steam, I could contact you that way. (Jeez, I sound so business-like)

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #3,290 of 9,120
  According to this site, there's no difference in any chip at all...

GPU limited in your example.

The one I posted is using an Asus Ares II (essentially 7970 Crossfire) and moves the bottleneck to the CPU subsystem.  You'll see a lot of sites reducing the settings down to something stupidly low to show CPU bottlenecks, but if you're really rocking a 550 USD card 1200+ (with 1440 or 1600 probable) is a more likely resolution with the details turned as high as your system can handle.  That's why I trawl many reviews, but appreciate HardOCP the most.  They show highest settings, minimum fps (my favourite metric) and apples-to-apples so that the fanbois can have something to crow about.

**edit**
Put the graphic in spoiler tag to keep the thread from getting too big.

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #3,292 of 9,120
I can't play BF4 at all. Either the server crashes or my GPU crashes and I have to restart my PC.  I'm on 13.11 beta v8 and it still crashes.  I've tried re installing drivers and repairing the bf4 install to no avail.

EDIT: My fps when it doesn't crash is good though,  50-120 fps maxed out and that's with my GPU at stock clocks (because I thought that would help it to not crash) Pretty funny how the game uses up to 6.7gb of ram though.

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #3,293 of 9,120

I can't play BF4 at all. Either the server crashes or my GPU crashes and I have to restart my PC.  I'm on 13.11 beta v8 and it still crashes.  I've tried re installing drivers and repairing the bf4 install to no avail.

EDIT: My fps when it doesn't crash is good though,  50-120 fps maxed out and that's with my GPU at stock clocks (because I thought that would help it to not crash) Pretty funny how the game uses up to 6.7gb of ram though.

Yep, I crash every three or four games, most of the time it's just the servers dying though, very annoying.

I'm still using 13.11 b7.

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #3,295 of 9,120

Its the servers, theres been major instability for the past few days... I've lost progress on a number of games so far, so I've kind of decided just to wait until EA sorts out their server issues.  I guess it gives me an excuse to finish the single player for the unlocks though.  I gotta say, the single player is impressive, though its short... its too bad the campaign only lasts about 4-6 hours depending on the difficulty you play at.

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #3,298 of 9,120
(GASP) Hello, fellow Terrarian. If you may, my friend and I host a private server, and I don't know if I could trust you, but if you have a Steam, I could contact you that way. (Jeez, I sound so business-like)

Haha. Secretly it's a black market operation. 
rolleyes.gif

My steam name is also HybridCore.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Haibunyan/

Anyways, I'm already at post hardmode and near endgame. More or less because somebody somewhat ruined the game for me. I went onto a public server that's full of chaos called "Bunnyville" or something like that and somebody threw Excalibur with the Legendary prefix at me. And then he pulled out another one...so yup. That was during 1.1. Now I have a spectre pickaxe, spectre hamax (although the molten one actually is better in it was either hammer power or axe power while the spectre is better at whichever stat is lower on the hamax. Good thing I still have it). I need to get Chlorophyte armor or whatever it is and shroomite armor. I don't really like the appearance of the Turtle armor but whatever, a 10 stack of Bananarangs can easily get by that. Took me forever to get those.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #3,299 of 9,120
Sleeve them yourself if you're feeling masochistic. I just used the bitfenix extensions.
Ummmm, OK den.

Haha. Secretly it's a black market operation. :rolleyes:

My steam name is also HybridCore.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Haibunyan/

Anyways, I'm already at post hardmode and near endgame. More or less because somebody somewhat ruined the game for me. I went onto a public server that's full of chaos called "Bunnyville" or something like that and somebody threw Excalibur with the Legendary prefix at me. And then he pulled out another one...so yup. That was during 1.1. Now I have a spectre pickaxe, spectre hamax (although the molten one actually is better in it was either hammer power or axe power while the spectre is better at whichever stat is lower on the hamax. Good thing I still have it). I need to get Chlorophyte armor or whatever it is and shroomite armor. I don't really like the appearance of the Turtle armor but whatever, a 10 stack of Bananarangs can easily get by that. Took me forever to get those.
Damn, and I thought my Star Cannon was bomb.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #3,300 of 9,120
Damn, and I thought my Star Cannon was bomb.

I can use a player editor and quickly make a character with lower tiered/pre-hardmode stuff if you want me to play at a lower tier (actually, I have most of my items stored in a safe from pre-hardmode. Why? I don't know).

I need to get quite a few magic spells though and staffs. The Frozen Hydra Staff or whatnot is ridiculous. Death Scythe is pretty good. That Magnet Orb spell, whatever it's called, is also ridiculous. I need a rainbow cannon and nimbus rod so wyverns won't be so annoying, or the Destroyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back