pant nc21m noise. Cancelling or ath sj55
Jun 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

smallrewards

New Head-Fier
sorry, pioneer nc21m. well, as the title alludes, I have a simple choice. Sj55 to 30 bucks or the new nc21m for 40. In Japan right now, just looking for fairly cheap headphones with decent quality that I can get cheaper here than America. Let me know what you think. Can't find much info on the nc21m more interested in sound quality than noise cancelling

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't know anything about the SJ55, but I would not get the NC21M.  While the sound quality is nicely balanced and the ANC works relatively well, the unit is ridiculously hard to drive (really low sensitivity).  So unless you have a portable headphone amp, I wouldn't get those.

However, if you don't mind IEMs, Pioneer's SE-NC31C is superb for a pair of ANC buds.  Except for a little off the top in the highs, it has a pretty decent tonal balance overall with good bass extention - even with the ANC turned on.

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 5
awesome, i will look at them. Honestly, i never really liked nc headphones in the past...too much white noise and pressure...but, for 3,000 yen....was tempted at first. As far as buds though, I am worried my daughter may not be able to enjoy her tv shows using them on my tablet. Need to have her try some on at the store though.

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Well the NC21M doesn't have a whole lot of white noise I can tell you that, but it also doesn't output a lot of sound.  And as a person who listens at fairly low volume, that's saying something.  The hard travel case and the various adapters are a value for people that travel (as it seems that you do).  I just can't get over the low decibel factor.

The SE-NC31C are something else though.  I am very impressed with the sound of this unit.  And for the record, it comes with four sizes of silicone tips (including some nice tiny ones).  Also, I get a ridiculous amount of listening time from just one AAA battery - so that's another plus.

Still, I'd rather have the SE-MJ751 over all of the above. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back