PA2V2 with HD580's?
Oct 11, 2007 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sharkz

500+ Head-Fier
I am just curious if there is anyone out there running a PA2V2 with HD580's who can provide me with some impressions. I have SR-60's now and will likely be using the PA2V2 out of my Zen Vision M and the line out of my Panasonic PCDP (I know it will work well with the Grados), but I have heard mixed things about this amp with the HD580's. Since I want to get a pair of these soon, I was just wondering if anyone who uses this combo could tell me what they think. Thanks a lot.

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 10
Lots of bass. The HD580s/600s are probably Senn's most neutral phones, and the PA2V2 is bass heavy. I wouldn't call it boomy, but it definitely dominates the sound, and the highs can get a bit lost in all of it. I'd say it sounds pretty good for the price of the amp, though I'd definitely recommend getting a better one to really bring out the quality of the cans.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogresmash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of bass. The HD580s/600s are probably Senn's most neutral phones, and the PA2V2 is bass heavy. I wouldn't call it boomy, but it definitely dominates the sound, and the highs can get a bit lost in all of it. I'd say it sounds pretty good for the price of the amp, though I'd definitely recommend getting a better one to really bring out the quality of the cans.

I would say the 595 is more neutral than the 580/600.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 10
Not my favorite pairing... in fact I can't think of an amp I would rather not listen to with my HD580. Very muddy and congested.

You should note my PA2V2 is dated November 2004. I am not sure what updates the amp has undergone since then.

Oct 11, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the feedback guys. I should be ok because apparently the PA2V2 sounds very good with Grados which I actually have now. I just wanted to see if I could still use the PA2V2 if I upgrade to HD580's down the line (which I would like to do). Any suggestions for other amps around $50-70 which would sound good with both of these headphones?

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 10
My problem with the Govibes are that the older ones are hard to find and I can't find 6's cheap. Most of the 6's that have been for sale recently have been upwards of $80. I also feel like I should be checking out a Pint or Portable Pimeta, but these too seem to be a bit out of my range. I really don't want to spend any more that $60 if I don't have to.

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My problem with the Govibes are that the older ones are hard to find and I can't find 6's cheap. Most of the 6's that have been for sale recently have been upwards of $80. I also feel like I should be checking out a Pint or Portable Pimeta, but these too seem to be a bit out of my range. I really don't want to spend any more that $60 if I don't have to.

You might be in a little problem then, as the HD580/HD600/HD650 are all very hard to drive and they like some serious voltage swing. I was recommending any amp with AD8397 because it swings rail to rail so even off a single 9V, you should have decent voltage and the current output is insane so you won't need a buffer.

Almost any other amp, unless buffered (and there aren't many portable buffered amps unless you DIY it), just won't drive these headphones to anywhere close to what they could sound like. Usually these are driven by a nice full size stationary amp for good performance.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 10
I think I am going to have to buy for what I have now (the Grado's). If I do buy a pair of HD580's, I will need to get a full size amp that I can connect to my Pioneer Dual tray CDP. This will be down the line though. My only decision now is PA2V2, Bass Boost CMOY, or Penguin Amp Caffeine? I am down to these 3, but I think the PA2V2 is in the lead (supposedly it sounds really good with SR-60's).

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 10
Pengiun amp with AD8397
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back