Outlaw 990 meets the 950
May 20, 2005 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
Just upgraded my HT pre/pro. The new Outlaw 990 has Dolby headphone, which I haven't had a chance to try. It also does 24/92 upsampling, built in phono stage, and a host of features the 950 doesn't have, including 7.1 channel balanced outputs I may never use. Sonically, my initial impression is that the 990 is a nice step up from the 950. There's a bit more low level ambient detail, and the whole sound is faster. In the early going, it's also a bit brighter, but that will pass with burn-in. All in all, I'd have to say another great product from Outlaw. From a video standpoint, the component video switching seems to let a bit more through. There's a touch better picture than with video going through the 950. Very close, though. The 990 is also just a bit bigger...

outlaw1.jpg

outlaw2.jpg

I gotta try that headphone jack with the Qualia 010...
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

May 20, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 7
Yes please let us know how that headphone out sounds. I'm an Outlaw myself (got an ICBM long time ago, great product!). Have never tried their preamps or amps though, even though at one point I was considering their highly acclaimed 1050 receiver. This new preamp looks very large, not just a bit bigger than the 950 though. From the pics it seems to easily take twice the volume. Nice rear panel. Surprised to see so many balanced connectors.

May 20, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 7
i've got an ICBM as well, along with a whole bunch of their cables connecting it. good stuff, especially for the price. hopefully i won't be in the market for new HT gear anytime soon though...

May 20, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 7
Geez, I have the old Outlaw 1050 receiver, and that 990 would make it look absolutely puny!

Hirsch, I was planning on upgrading my HT equipment later in the year. Do you think it's worth it to go any higher than Outlaw equipment, only considering HT sonics?

May 20, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin
Hirsch, I was planning on upgrading my HT equipment later in the year. Do you think it's worth it to go any higher than Outlaw equipment, only considering HT sonics?

I actually don't know. I've been happy with the Outlaw gear I've had. The 990 is a surprisingly large step up from the 950, though, based in my initial experience. I don't know how much of an increase the higher end gear would bring to the table. I suspect it's all a matter of associated equipment and disposable cash. I'm running the Outlaw 7100 as my power amp for the rig, and it seems up to the job. My speakers are a mixed bunch, though, with B&W Matrix 804 and Matrix HTM in front, Missions as the surrounds, and Rock Solid's (B&W again, in bargain form) at the rear. Somehow the thing works, but I suspect that matching up the surrounds to the fronts would be good for overall system coherence.

I haven't heard the latest and greatest in HT processors. The 990 is certainly good enough for my rig, at least until I get around to upgrading the speakers to a matched set and bring in some good interconnects (I'm using the Outlaw PCA's, having a fear of upgrading four sets of interconnects to something more expensive and then dealing with the speaker cables...LONG speaker cables...)

May 20, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 7
I've been very happy with my 1050 and will definitely go to the 990/7xxx before going with any other brand. I think the value Outlaw offers is tough to beat.

May 20, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin
Geez, I have the old Outlaw 1050 receiver, and that 990 would make it look absolutely puny!

I also still have my 1050 in a second system.

I compared a Rotel RSP-1068 to the Outlaw 950 and sent the Outlaw back. Sonically I really didn't prefer one over the other but the Rotel had much better user features and also had a selectable true analog 5.1 bypass. The 990 appears to solve the 950's user interface issues and costs about the same as I paid for my 1068, so if it sounds better than the 950 you may want to jump on that puppy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back