Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 10, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #14,926 of 27,141

Quote:
dear Steve,

I had YAMAHA HP-1 with the broken head strap. I wanted to repair this headphone too, and resolved. Then, the structure was very simple. I just cut leather in the same size, and punctured it. And that's all.
beyersmile.png
 So I recommend you to repair your broken HP-1.

And here are my orthodynamic headphones.

Welcome Kana! Great collection :).

What is the ortho on the top right of your photo? And is that Kawai definately an ortho too? (seems wikiphonia needs an update).

Jul 10, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #14,927 of 27,141
The Yamaha HP1 just came in and has just blown my mind. Rush did not sound as good as before. It is as if the music sounds (more) live than studio. I think mine is unmodified. (Rush's "Moving Pictures" is playing.)

I should give it some tricky albums to really find out how good it is.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #14,928 of 27,141

Quote:
Welcome Kana! Great collection :).

What is the ortho on the top right of your photo? And is that Kawai definately an ortho too? (seems wikiphonia needs an update).

The top right's headphones is SAWAFUJI SF-17. I heard that SAWAFUJI had been the headphones driver OEM, but I don't know the details. That technical specification is like that..

Diaphragm: Flat Dynamic SFD Elements
Impedance: 120 ohms
Frequency Response: 10 - 100,000Hz
Sensitivity: 98dB/mW
Sold: 1978-1989

And KAWAI SH-5 may be the OEM of audio-technica ATH-2.

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #14,929 of 27,141
That is a great collection , it is a reminder to me why I like collecting vintage orthos 
duggehsmile.png

It is funny to think that Sawafuji had the right idea back then, what are your thoughts about it's performance vs the rest of the gang ?  I love the look of that Victor . 

..dB

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #14,930 of 27,141
Quote:
The Yamaha HP1 just came in and has just blown my mind. Rush did not sound as good as before. It is as if the music sounds (more) live than studio. I think mine is unmodified. (Rush's "Moving Pictures" is playing.)

I should give it some tricky albums to really find out how good it is.

Personally, a stock HP-1 gets congested pretty quickly with any sort of music that requires fast transients and has way too much bass for my liking.  I'd recommend a before and after comparison (as in, mod one side of the headphones, down mix the music to mono, and compare each side).

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #14,932 of 27,141
KANA, we'd be thrilled if you could, over time, give us your impressions of the headphones pictured, plus of course photographs, scans, test results, specifications, listening panel ratings, et cetera. We don't ask much.

dB, if I catch your drift, you're referring to the SF-17's apparently open back, yes? Here's where a good closeup would tell us whether they actually did it. And I too am very curious about the Victor and its nifty space-age styling. Looks like a Fostex OEM, but who knows? [UPDATE: Turns out to've been made by a quietly busy OEM named Fujiki Denki, which also sold headphones branded Elega before they went poof sometime in the 1980s]

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #14,934 of 27,141
Quote:
That is a great collection , it is a reminder to me why I like collecting vintage orthos 
duggehsmile.png

It is funny to think that Sawafuji had the right idea back then, what are your thoughts about it's performance vs the rest of the gang ?  I love the look of that Victor . 

..dB

Only SAWAFUJI SF-17 puts out an natural top high tone in old headphones, and the resolution is very high.However, the volume hardly goes out even if SF-17 ties to which headphone amplifier (I'm using LUXMAN P-1).
YAMAHA HP-1('s sound) is looks like a modern headphone, and the sound is almighty.
VICTOR HP-D50 and KAWAI SH-5(ATH-2) are like to HP-1 and its sound is also almighty, but their sound are more soberer.
T50 have also high resolution and the sound is more powerful.
KH-92 have the high resolution, and very very soft sound. The sound of KH-92 is like old fine LP sound. I love this
beyersmile.png

SE-500 is a more delicate sound. The maximum input might be low.
The rank falls into HP-50S and U70 a little in these headphones.

However, I noticed recently that these orthodynamic headphones cannot show the original performance if you don't hear them after sounding for about 10-20 minutes. Therefore, it's very difficult to rank these headphones.

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #14,935 of 27,141
wow! i had a pair of these when i was in the army in '76-'77. i had totally forgotten about them til i saw the pic on the first page of this thread. i remember i bought them at the base px on oahu after my 2nd or 3rd pair of sennheisers went out. what a flashback- wish i still had them!

Jul 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #14,936 of 27,141
KANA, thank you for giving us your impressions.

dull, please tell us more about your old HP-1. When did you buy it, which Sennheiser(s) did you have, what differences did you notice back then, etc.

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #14,938 of 27,141
Hey, could a kind USian help out a canuck by buying some stuff from McMaster Carr and send them to me? Their export restrictions makes it hard for me to order anything... I want to buy some polyurethane based visco-elastic foams as a mechanical damping layer, and gasketing. I'll take all the cost, and you can take some for your own projects.
beerchug.gif

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #14,939 of 27,141

Quote:
KANA, thank you for giving us your impressions.

dull, please tell us more about your old HP-1. When did you buy it, which Sennheiser(s) did you have, what differences did you notice back then, etc.

wualta- i can barely remember anything from the '70's :)

i do remember the sennheisers had yellow foam earpads, and they weren't very expensive and they didn't last very long, but sounded pretty good. the hp-1's were a lot better sounding but if i remember correctly they took awhile for my ears to get used to the fit. and they were pretty expensive- maybe $110 at the base px. i went through a phase where i kept upgrading speakers as they became available at the px, but i only bought the sennheiser and yamaha headphones.

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #14,940 of 27,141

Quote:

wualta- i can barely remember anything from the '70's :)

i do remember the sennheisers had yellow foam earpads, and they weren't very expensive and they didn't last very long, but sounded pretty good. the hp-1's were a lot better sounding but if i remember correctly they took awhile for my ears to get used to the fit. and they were pretty expensive- maybe $110 at the base px. i went through a phase where i kept upgrading speakers as they became available at the px, but i only bought the sennheiser and yamaha headphones.

HD414.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back