Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 4, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #14,896 of 27,139

Quote:
Some great deals to be had in this category, but when we recommend them, they don't carry as much weight because they are not familiar.  If a thread starts, and the recommendations are the Audio-Technica M50, the Shure SRH-440 and the Fostex T50RP, One of the first two will almost always win out, even though I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say the T50RP is a significantly better investment.

Its sad but true. I have already tried this & the buyer, a new entrant to headphone world, went with the better known company model.

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #14,897 of 27,139

Quote:
  1. German Maestro/MB Quart
  2. DBI Pro
  3. Fostex
  4. Audeze
  5. Phiaton
  6. Fischer Audio (at least they will once the initial hype wears off)
and there are others, I know.

I second to Joel's finding for he himself owns a German Maestro headphones and from observation and much study they're are to reckon with AKG's and probably better, funny though their not given much attention probably because of the market or the people involved not really bothered about it, same goes for Phiaton 

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #14,898 of 27,139
Odd isn't it, I've been in a lot of studios and at least 2 still were using the venerable T20v2.  Fostex is still a very common name in studios now-a-days, but to the everyday consumer, bigger companies (at least in terms of marketing) are generally thought to be the "best".  DBI headphones are some of the single biggest selling models ever actually (the 705 sounds like poo, but the 700 is a wonderful headphone).

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #14,899 of 27,139
I see that there's also a different problem with T50RP - they are relatively cheap, and often approached and reviewed by the "boom-tiss" people, who won't like the planar sound, and who are, sadly, prevalent. As such, the phones get many negative reviews and most potential listeners are repelled.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #14,900 of 27,139

Quote:
...I do think that the T50RP has the potential to be that ortho that gets people started down that road, but I'm pretty skeptical about that happening.

I'm skeptical too, but mostly 'cause they ugly. Big and ugly can imply big bass (eg, the DBI 750) and even with the new pads, the T50RP will disappoint those folks who "read" large black cups that way. Most people will want a small, lightweight headphone anyway. If Fostex can convince a famous maker like A-T or Denon to order a pilot batch of 1,000 stylish OEM 'phones based around the T50RP driver....

Oh, and they should have an eighth-inch plug. The quarter-inch plug on the T50RP just tells folks with consumer gear to back off.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #14,901 of 27,139
just farting around on the new threads forum and saw someone asking what these were... and my mind said.. hey, these might be cool shells for a modded can.. just an FYI in case anyone agrees...

http://www.hisforhome.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=1955

Jul 5, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #14,902 of 27,139

Quote:
just farting around on the new threads forum and saw someone asking what these were... and my mind said.. hey, these might be cool shells for a modded can.. just an FYI in case anyone agrees...

But pretty expensive...  also, is that casing made of plastic or metal?  It looks like thin metal, which can't be the best material for headphone cups...

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #14,905 of 27,139
So my fake ESW10JPNs came in. $50 for 2 pairs. The cups are actual wood, but balsa wood or something of the sort. Still have to make my purpleheart cups. Speaking of that, the hole saw I bought is too small for them.
frown.gif
I'll post pics later. The SFI drivers are almost a perfect fit. And they are pretty sturdy. The screws are crap though. I managed to wear some down with no effort at all. Off to the local Home Depot... One of them just wouldn't come off too. It's just a hole now and I can't get it out.

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #14,907 of 27,139

^Nope, they've got the whole lineup. Sometimes describing a single item with 2 different model names to get more hits. :s
Quote:
So my fake ESW10JPNs came in. $50 for 2 pairs. The cups are actual wood, but balsa wood or something of the sort. Still have to make my purpleheart cups. Speaking of that, the hole saw I bought is too small for them.
frown.gif
I'll post pics later. The SFI drivers are almost a perfect fit. And they are pretty sturdy. The screws are crap though. I managed to wear some down with no effort at all. Off to the local Home Depot... One of them just wouldn't come off too. It's just a hole now and I can't get it out.

You might wanna try using a magnet (or one of those magnetized screw driver) to fish that screw out. Anyways, show us some pictures! 
dt880smile.png

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #14,908 of 27,139
^^^ The screwdriver was magnatized. The screws are just really soft. Meh it was just for a cosmetic thing, no big deal.

And your wish is my command. I used my phone though.

Yeah that's right.

Need more pictures? Just ask.

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #14,909 of 27,139
Oh, and I was at Ikea last weekend and found some drawer felt mat (Inreda) for $2 for about a yard. It seems to share some of the same properties as Superfelt. I could be totally off base though. It's pretty thick though.

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #14,910 of 27,139

Quote:
But then Isn't the only stat done right is O2
evil_smiley.gif

Meh.  To each there own I guess.  I much prefer even a stock HE60 and I haven't had the honor or pleasure of hearing the HE90s yet. 

Quote:
so you want to see some of the mighty horns?

biggest horn sub yet

and the wall of all creations 

pea power amps and colossal speakers 
duggehsmile.png
 ..dB

and don't ask me why this thread has just been derailed again 

I know why.  You just move and are going to start looking for a house.   Find one with a walk-out basement so you can excavate a little for "landscaping" and build in those horn subs, then build in the mids/highs into the new wall too!  I'm sure you could stealth it to were they are not really noticed when off.  Build a pair of Decware Zen Open Baffles for the room's "speakers" and it will be so subtle. 

very_evil_smiley.gif

Yep, that's my plan for our next house too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back