Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #14,628 of 27,171

Quote:
I'd like to say how impressive the measurements of the thunderpants looked from Can-jam.
Even more impressive considering they were tuned by ear. Nice work!

I must say I expected nothing less from our master craftsman.
beerchug.gif

Here's the link :
http://sites.google.com/a/headphonehobbylab.org/filehost/home/files/CanJam2010HeadphoneMeasurements.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #14,629 of 27,171
Haha, I asked my question before doing any looking. I promptly found it, and had to immediately go get a towel to wipe up the drool. It was cool to see the measurements on the thunderpants, and some of the high-end Sonys.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #14,633 of 27,171
The swt pair definitely looks more sorted out and in line with what I would prefer. The two are very close actually, but that peak in the midrange worries me a bit. 

That 6-7kHz peak seem inherent to the driver or the implementation and Don has clearly tamed it to the best of his abilities. 

This was the thing that wualta also found objectionable in my TPs when it came around to him. It is there just like it is on swt's pair but looks like it is very hard to get past that.

I am however impressed with the low freq extension on Colin's pair, not that steve's pair is too far behind.

I do wonder why there is the change in isolation though after 3kHz. It seems to drop off completely on Colin's pair while it looks like there is some leakage in the high frequencies after 8kHz on swt's..kinda weird since they are both using same earpads. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #14,636 of 27,171
Jun 11, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #14,637 of 27,171
Yeah, but look closely at the headband though, on the edges there are bits of plastic hanging off, they don't fit really well together, and they also look like they WILL fall apart on you in no time. I want to make a pair of closed SFIs for portable use, so build quality is kinda important for me. If they at least LOOK better built than what I've seen, maybe I'd buy a pair. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #14,638 of 27,171
Colin changed to the Transpore/Micropore cross and a different felt dampening.  He also plugged one of his ports.

WRT the fake ESW9s, they are only used for the frame.  The plastic cup will be usable with bitumen, dynamat or other dampening on the back, but I do plan to make my own wood cups.  There are three or so knock-offs.  Two are ok, one is great.  I'm trying to get the source of the great ones, but they were $35 each in quantities of 25 or 50.  I could get a single evaluation pair for $40 IIRC. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #14,639 of 27,171

Quote:
Colin changed to the Transpore/Micropore cross and a different felt dampening.  He also plugged one of his ports.

WRT the fake ESW9s, they are only used for the frame.  The plastic cup will be usable with bitumen, dynamat or other dampening on the back, but I do plan to make my own wood cups.  There are three or so knock-offs.  Two are ok, one is great.  I'm trying to get the source of the great ones, but they were $35 each in quantities of 25 or 50.  I could get a single evaluation pair for $40 IIRC. 

Mind sharing where please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back