Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 10, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #14,597 of 27,161

Quote:

Get some speaker grill cloth and cover it up. and yes, the little drivers got a surprising amount of bass when you isolate them correctly. 
basshead.gif

edit: btw, is the frequency response flat for your SFI headphones? I'm interested in knowing the frequency response of these drivers in different housing.

No, they're not flat. The mono imaging on a series of test tones is a bit wobbly, so not only are they not flat, but they're unevenly unflat. Then again, I just did a retermination to a 3.5mm plug, and there's a little bit of funkiness when I twist it, so maybe that has to do with part of it.

Also, the damping was quick and dirty; I just cut four squares of the microfiber stuff, and put two in each cup. I'm not even sure if they're being clamped down tight or not. The cans seem a little boomy, but they're better than they were undamped.

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #14,598 of 27,161
Had a micromeet with Lecky and another Londoner today. Didnt really get proper photos of all the gear lol. Must have been around 20-ish headphones there.
Loads of planars :).

Creek & Cyrus Amps, Aiwa to the right. Off the screen the LCD-2 is on Lecky's head. Along with some stats and orthos hanging around)

Basically we all had different preferenecs and tastes in music and how we generally liked out headphones tuned. But we all seemed to agree that the LCD-2 was the best compromise of all the phones there :) . It seemed to have the least overall flaws.

My personal 2nd favourite was the Aiwa HP-500. But the others there liked other cans such as the Sigma Pro (and also even dynamics :p).
The LCD2 definately can play in the Stax O2 league imo. But take this with a pinch of salt as I dont amp the O2 with a massive amp (and to me the price tag is too much to do so, so I'll stick with the Audeze).

My worst can of the day = Fostex T50rp :p. Which wasnt damped properly lol. but I hope to turn it eventually into one of the best.

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #14,602 of 27,161

Quote:

No, they're not flat. The mono imaging on a series of test tones is a bit wobbly, so not only are they not flat, but they're unevenly unflat. Then again, I just did a retermination to a 3.5mm plug, and there's a little bit of funkiness when I twist it, so maybe that has to do with part of it.

The FR is slightly uneven over above 9 kHz, right? If you look through the driver under the light, are holes aligned? My theory is that the more aligned the holes on the magnets are, the more even the FR will be.

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #14,603 of 27,161
It's uneven between 5k and 10k, but the test tones I use don't go over 10k, so I haven't checked.

And, Jade, that pic is probably of the Stax 003....it'd be awesome if someone managed to get ahold of a YH-5m, though.

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #14,604 of 27,161
Okay, Sambones, you're kidding me, right? I have a pair of those exact Koss's awaiting a SFI.  Literally the same headphones.  Maybe after I'm done we can exchange and compare?

Also, if anybody is gonna be ordering those bulk [fake] ESW9's, I'm interested.  Another really good headphone for SFI foster phoning is the Kanen KM880:
http://www.popbuying.com/detail.pb/sku.Kanen_Premium_Wood_Monitor_DJ_Headset_Stereo_Headphone_KM_880-25465

I have an extra (beater) pair with 32ohm SFI's that I can ship around if anybody wants to give it a listen.

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #14,605 of 27,161

Quote:
I wonder how many folk would be interested in the esw9 - i know I would and I am sure there are more of us wanting to play with a decent yolk for the planar experiments. 

..dB

Have you covered Don...  Still have the purpleheart sitting here for you too. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

They are fakes guys, so they will not have wood cups or leather pads.  But they are exact engineering copies so an ESW9 wood cup would pop in and new custom woodies can be easily turned for them.  The pads are pleather, but decent and they seal properly.  Most fold just like the ESW9s. 

Germania owned real ESW9s and I did as well.  She said the SFI 32ohm version just spanked the real ESW9s, especially unmodded ESW9s.  She developed a pretty sweet dampening scheme for the real 9s that good rid of a lot f the bass bloom and  over powered low end, but the tuned SFIs still trumped those. 

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #14,606 of 27,161
If anyone is ordering in bulk let me know. I'd love to join in in the building fun.
regular_smile .gif

BTW, is it the general consensus here that the SFI drivers should be in a sealed enclosure?

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #14,607 of 27,161

Quote:
Well I'm ordering them next week most likely. Have some stuff to do first. There's also a lot of 10, but it saves about 2 dollars each and frankly, not worth it.

Looks like you have enough interest for the 10 pair buy.  Ask him for a $4 price break each on 10. 

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #14,609 of 27,161

Quote:
Thanks Brian , you have seen my wood skills
duggehsmile.png

LFF, not sealed but ported - so closed and ported tend to give the "best" results.

..dB

Why is that? Is that due to the standing waves that reduce bass? Has anyone attempted an open design? If so, what were the results?

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #14,610 of 27,161

Quote:

BTW, is it the general consensus here that the SFI drivers should be in a sealed enclosure?

Personally, I've had the best luck in well vented (open) enclosures.  As long as the ortho is well damped, the lack of backwave mess tends to yield the most satisfying results (good extension, less spikes at certain frequencies, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back