Orthodynamic Roundup
May 24, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #10,681 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, use a set of the FAKE ESW9's as a fosterphone.

Ah, haven't seen fake ESW9s, but I also wasn't looking for them either. I'll send you a PM on the 120ohm drivers later this evening...

May 25, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #10,683 of 27,158
I have decided to pick up a t50rp once my AKG240DF is sold. I will keep that and start working on my Stax system from there.

edit: anyone selling a used pair lemme know
wink.gif

May 25, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #10,684 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have decided to pick up a t50rp once my AKG240DF is sold. I will keep that and start working on my Stax system from there.

edit: anyone selling a used pair lemme know
wink.gif

Umm..I might be willing to let my T50RP go...as I just bought myself a Yamaha HP-3
Its heavily modded and sounds quite good. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

May 25, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #10,685 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Heck, while you're at it, toss the woofer box, get a nice little woofer, stick it in a bandpass box, then fab up a beefy 3-channel amp and crossover, set the handoff at 200 Hz and go for the gusto.

Heh that will be an end of summer project me thinks.. i am hoping these sound better than a t amp / decent bookshelves that I have and will serve as an intro to mid-fi for my friend. I am always watching for deals and I got these for a steal. Impressions will follow.

May 25, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #10,686 of 27,158
Quote:

Heh that will be an end of summer project me thinks.. i am hoping these sound better than a t amp / decent bookshelves that I have and will serve as an intro to mid-fi for my friend. I am always watching for deals and I got these for a steal. Impressions will follow.

Build up a gainclone amp kit from AudioSector for them. I'll have my V1.0 BJT MAX feeding the gainclones in my console refurb. You can push them to over 50W with proper cooling, but they tend to sound best in the 35W-40W range when fed with 22V AC secondaries for 30V-31V DC on the chip.

May 25, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #10,687 of 27,158
Quote:

i am hoping these sound better than a t amp / decent bookshelves that I have and will serve as an intro to mid-fi for my friend.

Oh, they're for a friend. Whew. That's okay, because friends are never as picky as we are. Hint: keep the woofer box as close to the listener as possible, and keep the vent clear of obstructions.

May 25, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #10,688 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, they're for a friend. Whew. That's okay, because friends are never as picky as we are. Hint: keep the woofer box as close to the listener as possible, and keep the vent clear of obstructions.

Will do. I might actually be looking for another pair (hopefully a nicer model) for a dorm system... I am really loving all the versatility I can get from the Presonous CS. That and it sounds better than most everything I have owned.

May 25, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #10,689 of 27,158
They live!

I recabled the KH-83s with my old RS-1 cable quickly just to get them up and running and make sure both channels work. I have fsma's cable that will eventually end up on them, but the ends were too thick and I didn't feel like messing with the shrink tonight.

Anyway, here is a pic of the driver sitting on the figured walnut for my amp fronts:

IMG_2406.jpg

Are these T10 drivers?

Even with the oxidized, old Grado cable these things sound better unmodded then my unmodded YH3s. There is a little spring noise from the headband in the left ear, so I have to work on that, but these definitely have great potential! I'm wicked happy with 'em... I'll mod and recable my YH3s too, then put them up against the KH-83s. ESW9 leather pads will fit these too, with a little lip mod to mount them, so I'll over damp them a hair, then they'll smooth out with the slight lip for pad mounting. Another cool part is the front with the pads is the same as my KH-33s, so I have spares.
wink.gif

May 25, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #10,692 of 27,158
Cool...

Well, my crappy soldering or crappy cable failed when I moved them to my CR-620 to see how they reproduced piano and bass with proper current so the right channel is dead. I was concerned about the left channel, so I know the issue is in the cable.

It's all good, now I have the motivation to clean up the ends of the fsma cable and add a little dampening behind the driver and thick felt to the front until I get some blu-tak. Still planning to swap in T20 drivers for an audition as well.

More pics will follow and I need to snap better pics of the different woods too. It's tough to get a good shot with all the wax on them, but here are two:

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

The woods are, left column, top to bottom: Big Leaf Maple Burl, Cebil, Claro Walnut, Cocobolo, and Hormigo Negro; right column, top to bottom: Madrone Burl, Mopani, Mora, and Purpleheart.

I'll have to wait until they are finished pucks before I choose a favorite as all of them potentially have some great figure and colors, but the Hormigo, Mora, and Mopani are my favorite dark woods. The Big Leaf burl Maple will be awesome once it's finished and the Claro Walnut has visible quilting that I hope carries through the block. I was hoping the Madrone would have more of the signature pink veining, but so far it doesn't appear my block has it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back