Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 27, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #917 of 27,139
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think the Corda Aria can drive them or do I need to buy/build a new amp? A nice OTL or DHT SET might just do the trick...

I'm not familiar with the Aria but planar magnetics are characteristally easy to drive. They're less efficient, so some voltage swing is needed, but the load is essentially ohmic.

My T50 (which is admittedly a little different from yours) could be mostly driven by my iRiver H120, but not real loudly.

So, well, anything with enough gain for 600ohm dynamics but also enough current for 32ohm dynamics should be able to drive the T50 just fine.

Edit: By the way, Seeing that you were involved (and won), I'm glad i sat this one out. I hate bidding against you even more than i hate bidding against Tyre.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #918 of 27,139
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not familiar with the Aria but planar magnetics are characteristally easy to drive. They're less efficient, so some voltage swing is needed, but the load is essentially ohmic.

My T50 (which is admittedly a little different from yours) could be mostly driven by my iRiver H120, but not real loudly.

So, well, anything with enough gain for 600ohm dynamics but also enough current for 32ohm dynamics should be able to drive the T50 just fine.

The Aria isn't a powerhouse but it drives the HD600 with ease so it might work.

I know you wont like it but they will be recabled when I have the chance since I HATE the TRS plug...
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Edit: By the way, Seeing that you were involved (and won), I'm glad i sat this one out. I hate bidding against you even more than i hate bidding against Tyre.

It's unfortunate going up against fellow nutcases, it just costs too much.
tongue.gif
I try to avoid it as much as I can but if something comes up I really want, be prepared for war...
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #919 of 27,139
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's unfortunate going up against fellow nutcases, it just costs too much.
tongue.gif
I try to avoid it as much as I can but if something comes up I really want, be prepared for war...
biggrin.gif

Yeah, with my typical strategy - I know i chose it and i recognize the hazards, but just because what i was trying to do was evil when it blew up in my face doesn't mean it doesn't sting.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #920 of 27,139
Well, they are here! I got them a little over an hour ago. And they are WONDERFUL. Several comments:

1. They are beautiful. Steve does VERY nice work.

2. They sound AWESOME. They do indeed have some SERIOUS bass! I am so happy about that, because I cannot enjoy headphones without real bass.

3. They have a very different tonal balance than most of the headphones I have, which I am VERY happy about. What I didn't need is a pair of headphones that sound exactly like the rest of what I have. They have a clarity and sparkle in the treble that none of my other cans have. It's almost breathtaking!

I am not a one headphone guy, obviously, and these make an excellent addition to my collection. They are what I had always thought electrostatics might sound like, but I didn't want to deal with all of the ancillary baggage that comes with 'stats. And I had hoped the K340's might sound like this, and they just didn't. So YAY!

I'll have more thoughts later I'm sure, but I'm now happily rocking to Orthodynamics, and in beautiful wood style
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #922 of 27,139
Quote:

Yeah, with my typical strategy - I know i chose it and i recognize the hazards, but just because what i was trying to do was evil when it blew up in my face doesn't mean it doesn't sting.

That's so true. I've been getting my ass kicked on Yahoo lately since there seem to be even more crazy Stax collectors there that are willing to bid the same as I do. You don't want to know how much I payed for a NOS SR-5 NB sold as a complete set.
blink.gif
That will teach me not to set a huge opening bid...

It's good that there are only a few headphones I want now and they aren't showing up anywhere so my wallet gets a breather.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #923 of 27,139
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay, recable.... I am looking at my ESP10 right now, what was Koss thinking when they did that 6 conductor coiled cord?

Koss was really into flat, coiled cords back then. Most of the lineup had them but the biggest surprise is the absence of any strain relief on the headphones. There is just a knot on the cable that keeps if from being pulled out...

I don't know what I'll use to recable with, some solid core 30AWG soft silver might be nice but I doubt it would last very long unless I put it in a teflon tube and I hate what teflon does to the sound. It's so easy to recable a dynamic compared to 'stats. No high voltage or capacitance to worry about.

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #924 of 27,139
Skylab, extra gladness accompanies your enjoyment of...

The Strawberry DonutPhones Statement: Revenge Of The Orthodynamics

In Technicolor sound and Cinerama headstage. Coming to a cochlea near you.

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #925 of 27,139
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #926 of 27,139
Just got home from work, and saw your post. Obviously it's nice to have someone validate what you thought you were hearing. I'm so thrilled that you like them, because I honestly feel those headphones to be one of the best I've yet heard. That's not me patting myself on the back, I'm quite aware most of that was blind luck, but I'll take it.
Your thoughts on electrostats mirror mine, but these sound so close to what I remember Bahamaman's OmegaII's sounding like. With one very big exception...mucho, macho bass!
I really didn't know you could have so much bass, yet still have the clear clean, sparkling highs. They do have that speed and airiness of stats don't they. You know they kind of remind me of Matt's deep woody CD3000, but a bit smoother.
Also Rob the more power you feed them, the better they open up. They can take some serious juice, and take the same volume setting as my K340's.

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #927 of 27,139
If you want good bass, great midrange and sparkling highs with planars there is really only one way, build one hell of an enclosure. Remove any resonances and give the diaphragm a solid foundation to push against and it will make a good transducer, great. This is really what Stax did with the Omega line and the 4070.

So can you do this to a T50 or do I need to track down a Yamaha ortho?
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #928 of 27,139
Oh did I forget to mention that I have dibs on all Yamaha YH-100's from now on?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously though, isn't there anyone who could use my HP-1 housing, band and pads. I'm not looking for any compensation, you just cover shipping.

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #929 of 27,139
Yes, the Donuts like juice
smily_headphones1.gif
. No doubt. The ASL MG Head I used them with today has plenty.

What's amazing about the sound is how detailed and fast everything is, but you still get that amazingly deep bass. The bass isn't at all warm, its just there in spades with power, speed, and authority when called for. I never liked the AT W5000 because while its ultrafast and detailed on top, it has no bass power. Not so with the Donuts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back