step1, it's on: 

step2, we got holes: 
step3, duh I forgot the "JAPAN" round parts:
step4, mo'better : 
step 5, sheer awesomeness: 

step6 will be about soldering a XLR4 so I can go balanced 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #18,813 of 27,161
Random longstanding thought anent the headstrap on the Bellini models: Your scalp provides the support for the relatively stiff and fragile outer plastic "frame"-- the nice soft leather merely goes along for the ride, looks good, and helps hold said fragile frame together. Replacing it with a simple fabric or leather or mesh strap does seem eminently sensible.

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #18,814 of 27,161
Indeed, it looks sweet and very sturdy...but it's not comfy at all 

I was gonna try to cut it to the same width as the stock headband, but yeah the stock one was stretchy...thick lambskin very much isn't. That dutch guy seemed happy, though: http://home.hccnet.nl/joop.nijenhuis/headwize/rhp1be.htm 
confused.gif

I can either go stretchy fabric(à la SA5000) or come up w/ something more complicated like on the CD1700/CD3000. This said, this shell is so easy to work on! The SONY's use a fairly complicated "belt" system that's really not DIY friendly.

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #18,815 of 27,161

Quote:
@RD : Are you using any damping on YHD-1s?

PS : Pictures of damping schemes would be nice too!

I've got a nice simple damping scheme on the YHD1 transplant.  I'm using the paper or "diaper" as Wualta calls it, from a Fostex T20v2 and a disc of medium density wool felt.  Driver -> paper -> felt -> light foam.  The foam is necessary to hold everything on, but it also effects the sound, it lowers bass and makes them a bit brighter.  The Fostex diaper/paper is an excellent way of bringing up treble, but it's not totally necessary on this phone with this driver and with the right pads.  The paper and felt both get the driver operating without serious resonances. 

My YH3 damping scheme is more complicated.  I'll post pictures with fancy arrows when I get them back.  :)

Quote:

As for vintage/neo ortho argument - IMHO a stock T30 has lesser issues than a stock LCD-2.

Too bad you're so far away, it would be cool to meet up.  I try to be nice about the LCD-2 since I really like Audeze, but I really didn't like the LCD-2 at all... 

Actually it would be really fun to have an International Ortho Meet. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #18,816 of 27,161
Trying to set up some sort of a way to record headphone frequency response graphs. While I was at it, I took this raw reading of the HOK 80 (note that I highpass it at 40 Hz):

Who says they don't have bass?
bigsmile_face.gif

(I use a setup where I have a cheap electret mic at the end of a 3 cm long piece of tube – 8 mm in diameter – to simulate the ear canal. The tube and the mic are attached to a round bit of heavy cardboard to give a seal when pressed against the cup. It's probably not too accurate, and I don't know the freq response of the microphone, and this has no HRTF applied to it. But I do perceive a peak around 3 kHz with my ears, and the peak at 10 kHz in the graph may be the 9 kHz peak I've been on about – this could possibly be the ear canal resonance, like the 3 kHz one.)

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #18,817 of 27,161

Quote:
1 ) Whoa. Trial by fire for the STA-2200. You don't know how I've sweated bullets (well, BBs) over your getting this freaky bit of audio history based on my recommendation, at least partially. So it didn't embarrass anyone, eh? Good. Well, it might have embarrassed some folks if they'd known how much you paid for it.

2 )  Interesting. Even on the low range? You should have seen mine when I was trying to inject bass into the HOKs.

When they found out what I paid for it was when a couple of people decided they wanted one.  The HiFi Man headphones sounded much better from it than from the $1300 HiFi Man amp.  Some paused when I told them to pick it up.  It's got to be one of the heaviest 60 watt amps.  

It ends up it was an even better deal than I originally thought.  It sounded good and none of the caps looked bad so I didn't worry about them.  Someone at the meet noticed that they're all Elna caps so it's already been totally recapped.  That wasn't mentioned in the auction.

I listen at pretty low levels so I don't really ever see movement on a Vu meter

Quote:
Scompton/Wualta : The XB700 pads are pretty hard to find, I suppose one would have to buy the whole headphone to get them. That plus the international shipping would take the purchase cost to a sum with which I could buy a YHD-1. I think I'll choose the latter..

As for vintage/neo ortho argument - IMHO a stock T30 has lesser issues than a stock LCD-2.

I bought them from someone here so they were less than a new pair of the headphones.  Someone posted a link to the pads on a Sony web site once, but I can't find it.  They were around $75, which is what I paid for them shipped from the EU. 

The day before I bought the XB700 pads, I bought a refurbished XB500 for $10.  I've also seen fake/knock off XB500s for around that price.  If you have small ears or don't mind the pads on your ears, those would work too.

Bjarn used some other, thinner, Sony circumaural pads on his.  He put the pads over the stock pads.  I tried that with a few pads but none of them fit quite right. 

Here's a US only auction for the XB500 knockoffs.  You might be able to find some that ship to India.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBJEKT-HDAK1000-HD-AK1000MC-Shoxx-DJ-Headphones-/150740773772?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2318d9ab8c

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #18,818 of 27,161

Quote:
Too bad you're so far away, it would be cool to meet up. 

Would be cool indeed.
I always enjoy the little ortho meets that we have here occasionally, even though they have the curious side effect of me almost always ending up a HP50 short at the end.
blink.gif

They are the crowd favorites, those little buggers!

@ Scompton : Thanks for the info. I didn't know that their were cheaper knock-offs available. I 'll look into it.I won't mind the supra-aurals too if they have enough cushion.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #18,819 of 27,161
HP-50a- I gave these to my Mom. She's a big fan of gazals. I started playing Saher- Jagjeet singh. She didn't move till the album finished.
She said (sort of)- why headphones when you can Yamaha

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #18,820 of 27,161

Quote:
HP-50a- I gave these to my Mom. She's a big fan of gazals. I started playing Saher- Jagjeet singh. She didn't move till the album finished.
She said (sort of)- why headphones when you can Yamaha

Nice! I have yet to try those on Orthos. I'll do that tonight thanks for the idea . Coincidentally listened to a couple of those just before I read that. Right now  Gopal Shankar Misra - Out of Stillness is on though.
E Indian Classical is one of my favourite genres.

ooops it's Shankar

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #18,821 of 27,161

Quote:
Nice! I have yet to try those on Orthos. I'll do that tonight thanks for the idea . Coincidentally listened to a couple of those just before I read that. Right now  Gopal Shakar Misra - Out of Stillness is on though.
E Indian Classical is one of my favourite genres.

You then must must listen to Prem Joshua, Karunesh, Abhijit Phonkar, Oliver Shanti etc. on the orthos. Vocals & acoustic instruments such as flute sound absolutely heavenly on the yamahas. 
For a technical listening there are already so many headphones available in different flavors but for an emotional listening there are only few & the yamahas have one of the most beautiful music rendition.  

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #18,823 of 27,161
Having more thoughts about it, I should cannibalize a fleece hat in order to make my new HP-1 headband...that would be fantastically comfy!

I'm not an expert at indian music by a long shot, but I've collected quite a lot of bollywood funk and this one has always been turning heads wherever I played it: http://www.amazon.com/Bollywood-Breaks-Sampler-Various-Artists/dp/B000056L10

All the songs are just extremely catchy, and just thinking about that CD I can hear the "in the garden" tune loud and clear ^^

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #18,824 of 27,161

Quote:
I'm not an expert at indian music by a long shot, but I've collected quite a lot of bollywood funk and this one has always been turning heads wherever I played it: http://www.amazon.com/Bollywood-Breaks-Sampler-Various-Artists/dp/B000056L10

All the songs are just extremely catchy, and just thinking about that CD I can hear the "in the garden" tune loud and clear ^^

Oh wow! this album is new to me.Should probably be asian underground. Finally have something to purchase this weekend :)

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #18,825 of 27,161

Quote:
1 ) The HiFi Man headphones sounded much better from it than from the $1300 HiFi Man amp.

2 ) It ends up it was an even better deal than I originally thought.  It sounded good and none of the caps looked bad so I didn't worry about them.  Someone at the meet noticed that they're all Elna caps so it's already been totally recapped.  That wasn't mentioned in the auction.

1 )  Well, I don't mind saying this made my day. Vindication for the ugly duckling at last, and in a big way.

2 )  Interesting. I too have never noticed a cap problem, but the brand name of the caps made me think: Don't my 2200s have Elnas? Too? They do. They all do. That's the way they came from TCE. Remember, this was a flagship, so it's a wee overbuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back