Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jun 28, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #1,891 of 6,302
Wow, the PM-3 has more bass? I had been reading they are fairly neutral, so I assumed the amount of bass would be far lower (seeing the +10 dB bass curve of the NAD at http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph).

You shouldn't be reading HeadRoom's "Frequency Response" nor "Frequency Response Compensated" curves unless you fully understand what they mean, and I don't even know how to read them.

The "Frequency Response Raw" is much more indicative of what you should be looking at and it probably should generally follow the curves of the diffuse-field head-related transfer function, or the Harman Target headphone response.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one

Their raw frequency response more or less looks similar to that of the ones from Innerfidelity.

Your name threw me off NwAvGuy. XD

Jun 28, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #1,892 of 6,302
You shouldn't be reading HeadRoom's "Frequency Response" nor "Frequency Response Compensated" curves unless you fully understand what they mean, and I don't even know how to read them.

The "Frequency Response Raw" is much more indicative of what you should be looking at and it probably should generally follow the curves of the diffuse-field head-related transfer function, or the Harman Target headphone response.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one

Their raw frequency response more or less looks similar to that of the ones from Innerfidelity.

Your name threw me off NwAvGuy. XD

Ha ha, I'm from the MidWest. :wink:

I'll look into the the differences between FR, FRC, and FRR! Thanks!

Jun 28, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #1,893 of 6,302

Coming directly from the HP50 to the PM-3 I would say that the PM-3 definitely has more impactful and tighter bass, plus it has that wonderful bass tone and tunefulness that seems to be inherent to most, if not all, planar magnetic designs. Overall the tonality of the HP50 is very good so I would call this area basically a draw in all frequency ranges above the bass.

Wow, the PM-3 has more bass? I had been reading they are fairly neutral, so I assumed the amount of bass would be far lower (seeing the +10 dB bass curve of the NAD at http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph).

I did not say that the PM-3 has more bass. I said it has more impactful and tighter bass. I also feel that it has more tuneful bass than the HP50. The lower end response, in general of the PM-3 is one of it's strong points. I haven't looked at any frequency response graphs, but i have read in several places about owners and reviewers who found the HP50 to be slightly bass shy. I cannot completely disagree with that assessment. Frequency response graphs may indeed indicate that the HP50 has more bass output, but for me being an owner of that headphone and using it exclusively for almost a year, empirically this has not been my experience.

Jun 28, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #1,894 of 6,302
I did not say that the PM-3 has more bass. I said it has more impactful and tighter bass. I also feel that it has more tuneful bass than the HP50. The lower end response, in general of the PM-3 is one of it's strong points. I haven't looked at any frequency response graphs, but i have read in several places about owners and reviewers who found the HP50 to be slightly bass shy. I cannot completely disagree with that assessment. Frequency response graphs may indeed indicate that the HP50 has more bass output, but for me being an owner of that headphone and using it exclusively for almost a year, empirically this has not been my experience.

Thank you very much! It's now a shootout between the Shure 1540 and PM-3 for me!

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #1,895 of 6,302
The PM-3's do not have a "strong" bass but it is very musical and pleasing to listen to imho.
The midrange is excellent and all dynamics improve with balanced cables at least using
the Pono.  I expected a much more subtle difference.  Images are much clearer.

cheers    
beerchug.gif

jhv

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #1,898 of 6,302
  The PM-3's do not have a "strong" bass but it is very musical and pleasing to listen to imho.
The midrange is excellent and all dynamics improve with balanced cables at least using
the Pono.  I expected a much more subtle difference.  Images are much clearer.

cheers    
beerchug.gif

jhv

The PM-3's do not have a weak bass either. I'd say if your lacking bass with the PM-3's, check your source and/or music selection. I find their to be every bit as much bass as with my HD650's. With the PM-3's the bass is very tight and controlled, with very good punch. They are not bass heavy, or mid heavy or treble heavy, they are near perfect in their tonal presentation.

Only "missing" in the sense of comparison with beats and other extra bass products. The PM3 has a slight lift in the mid to low bass like other "room feel" types, but well judged I think

Are you really putting Beats in the same sentence as Oppo? Beats are sloppy bass pigs, POS(imo), and Oppo is a finely design Audiophile Headphone. There is a Hugh difference between the two headphones and companies.

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #1,899 of 6,302
  Quote:
Quote:

Everything on the earpads will be used unless we find that refurbishing the original components is not possible. So we will clean the headband and earpads whenever possible, and do replacements if impossible to refurbish them in the condition that they were returned from the customer. The headphones I use (PM-1, PM-3) and my Blu-ray players and HA-1 were all refurbished product, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Please offer some Velour pads soon! My PM-3 are hot as hell during this little heat wave we are having. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #1,901 of 6,302
  The PM-3's do not have a weak bass either. I'd say if your lacking bass with the PM-3's, check your source and/or music selection. I find their to be every bit as much bass as with my HD650's. With the PM-3's the bass is very tight and controlled, with very good punch. They are not bass heavy, or mid heavy or treble heavy, they are near perfect in their tonal presentation.

Are you really putting Beats in the same sentence as Oppo? Beats are sloppy bass pigs, POS(imo), and Oppo is a finely design Audiophile Headphone. There is a Hugh difference between the two headphones and companies.

Why not.  I was only using beats as they are the best selling portable in this market sector by a huge margin and I thought it wouldn't p!ss any of the audiophiles off here.  I was wrong it seems.  Or would you prefer I use Sennheiser Momentums as an example and then p!ss off all the momentum fans who are more likely to be reading this?

I cannot bare beats (before the studio 2, which are tolerable but uninteresting) or the original momentum because of the bass exaggeration.  I'm pretty sure Sennheiser and the others did this because of beats and the expectation they created amongst the public.

Anyway, to avoid derailing this thread: "aren't these PM-3s great!"

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #1,905 of 6,302

Users who are viewing this thread

Back