Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jul 1, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #1,906 of 6,302
I pretty much agree with the rankings.  All that said, I really don't have time to listen to mine.  :frowning2:  I've moved more towards IEMs at home, so I'll probably end up selling mine, even though I love the sound.  Sad sad day...but I just try to make it a habit of not keeping gear I don't have time to use.  I'm def not a pack rat.

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #1,907 of 6,302
The Best Over-Ear Headphones Under $400

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-400-over-ear-headphones/

I hate these absolute designations. I understand why they do it, it attracts readers, but no one person or publication can ever possibly audition and test every model available. I would certainly say the Oppo PM-3's are the best closed back, over the ear, headphones under $400 I have ever heard, but the best over the ear headphone for under $400, period? That's a mighty broad statement to make. The article is extremely long, and I didn't read all of it, but I definitely read the bulk of it, and they mainly stick to closed back headphones in or below the Oppo's price range. They briefly talk about open back phones, but then they basically dismiss them form the comparison because they are usually of a higher impedance and designed primarily for home use and therefor not really suitable for portable use. This is contradictory as the test was not supposed to be about portable headphones only, but about all over the ear designs under $400 regardless of type.

Also reading through the article i kept wondering why they weren't making any mention of the NAD Viso HP50's. They posted a photograph of them on the table with the rest of the contestants but no mention of them yet, way into the article. When I purchased my HP50's I auditioned them directly against the PSB's mentioned and the original Sennheiser Momentums also mentioned and also rated highly. I picked the HP50 over both of those designs and a couple of others I also auditioned at the same time as my HP50 purchase, as I found them to be the better sounding set in a direct comparison. When they finally do get around to talking about the NAD's they mention that they couldn't get them to seal properly on their heads due to the length of the ear pads. What? I have never heard this complaint made by anyone in regards to HP50 before. Unless everyone on that panel had tiny little heads, and I'm beginning to wonder if that may be the case, albeit for entirely different reasons, they couldn't have really made a proper attempt to get the HP50's to work properly. That's a shame as I would be willing to bet that they would have finished very high in the ranking, possibly, maybe even probably as high as second place right behind the PM-3's.

Either way reviewers and publications of this sort really need to stop designating or declaring any one product as the very best in any category as broad as all over the ear headphones under a certain price point. I truly feel it lessens their appearance of professionalism and could possibly even do a disservice to the buying public and their readership. Not making a more concerted effort to get the HP50's to perform at their best is a good case in point. Saying that this or that product is the best that the reviewer or a panel of reviewers have ever heard is fine, but to outright declare that any certain product is absolutely the best available period, is irresponsible at best. Enthusiasm is great, but professional decorum dictates that they need to temper that enthusiasm with a more balanced approach. I think all who read their publications would benefit from it.

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #1,908 of 6,302

I think iem's are great, and I would use them. However I am mutant and produce to much ear wax, that clogs up iem's. For those who can use iem's, go for it, I think such tech is brilliant.

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #1,909 of 6,302
I do agree that it is hard to say one pair of headphones are the absolutely best, but from my extensive exploration of closed portable headphones & mid-tier opens & flagship headphones, the PM-3s are definitely a top contender & very competitive against open AND closed headphones under $700. 

As always, personal preference and budget limitations will determine what is actually the best closed over-ear headphones for you, but these are a pair of headphones that I would highly recommend trying out.

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,910 of 6,302
I do agree that it is hard to say one pair of headphones are the absolutely best, but from my extensive exploration of closed portable headphones & mid-tier opens & flagship headphones, the PM-3s are definitely a top contender & very competitive against open AND closed headphones under $700. 

As always, personal preference and budget limitations will determine what is actually the best closed over-ear headphones for you, but these are a pair of headphones that I would highly recommend trying out.
+1 Well said, I really do like my PM-3'S, I use them when ever I am out and about. I have also used them through my Yggy/ Ragg and they sound very nice. However to my humble ears, my Alpha Primes sound better and are more comfortable. That being said, I have my PM-3'S out, and I am going to the grocery, using my e12, with bass boost on, to listen to American in Paris.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #1,912 of 6,302
Another happy owner chiming in. I really got into the headphone gear when I started to look beyond my QC15s for some more hi-fi sounding cans. Portability being primary, naturally the HA-2 powered PM-3 rose to the list and I have been enjoying them for a couple of months now. This including long flights where I now prefer the SQ of these cans over the ANC of the Bose QC15s.

My experience was SO positive that I found myself listening to the headphones more and more and my stereo/home theatre setup less and less. Also, made me wonder what I was missing in the Summit-Fi gear and finally got me some Audeze LCD-Xs last week. Which obviously are stupendous and the open back design helps tremendously with the soundstage.

But in no way are the Audeze a $1,300 better headphone. or a 4 times better headphone. If there was a linear relationship I'd say they are 30% better. Which is HUGE in hi-fi!! But only translates to $133 increase in price. OR they should sell for $533!!! 

But the above comparison is still not fair to the Oppo's since they easily beat the LCDs on portability, weight/comfort, and drivability. And the fact they are closed backs gives them an advantage for isolating sound. 

As much as I am enjoying the LCD-Xs at home, the purchase also highlighted to me what a crazy bargain the PM-3s are and I am more likely to recommend these to my friends over the LCD-Xs (Unless sound quality was their primary criteria regardless of cost). A really astounding achievement by Oppo. As is the HA-2, but that's for another thread :wink:

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #1,913 of 6,302
I received my SurfCables balanced cable yesterday.  The headphones seem a little warmer with this cable.  I've only listened to the single ended out on my Tubemagic D1 with a 6.3mm adaptor.  I'll listen to the single and balanced outputs on my LittleDot MK VI+ and HA-1 this weekend to get a better feel for the cable.

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #1,914 of 6,302
The Best Over-Ear Headphones Under $400

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-400-over-ear-headphones/

I've not listened to any of the ranked headphones in this review beside the PM-3s.  I have to agree with others in this thread that I don't like "these are the best" opinions that you see in a lot of reviews like this.  It gives you a pat on the back if you purchased the headphone that they deem "The Best".  Everyone has different tastes though and audio is such an abstract hobby.  What is "The Best" for one person will not be "The Best" for someone else, even if the reviewers are authorities is the industry.

Just my .02. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,918 of 6,302
Can anyone tell me how accommodating the PM-3's ear cups are for large ears when compared to the cups of the Momentum 2 over ear? I had a pair of Momentum 2's, and while my ears fit within the cups, my ears felt a little claustrophobic.

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #1,919 of 6,302
Can anyone tell me how accommodating the PM-3's ear cups are for large ears when compared to the cups of the Momentum 2 over ear? I had a pair of Momentum 2's, and while my ears fit within the cups, my ears felt a little claustrophobic.
i have never used Momentum 2's, however the PM-3'S ears cups barely contain my ears, and thankfully my ears do not get sweaty, and seem to breath adequately.:)

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,920 of 6,302

The circumference is bigger than the M2 but the depth is about the same.  So if the size was the issue w/ the M2, then you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back