Oppo PM-3 - Am I missing something?
May 5, 2016 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

RyanOM1991

New Head-Fier
Hi,

What are your guys' opinions of the PM-3?

The reason I ask is I've recently bought a pair (my third set of proper headphones). Started off with Beats Studio but upgraded to a Denon D2000 years ago. The Beats were fine, but the Denons were stunning - very nice clarity and clear sound contours.

Surpringly, the PM-3 had a huge amount of distortion compared to my previous phones. Did anyone else find this? I can barely hear the individual instruments and there's a real tinny quality to the sound. My 15 year old car stereo has more clarity!

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

May 6, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 14
I've just run through some sections of a number of test tracks with my iPhone 6+, and I'm not hearing distortion. Perhaps you got a bad headphone?

(For reference, the test tracks I used parts of to test are "Royals" by Lorde, "Extraordinary Machine" by Fiona Apple, "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran, "Tip of My Tongue" by the Civil Wars, "Let's Push Things Forward" by the Streets, and "Sober" by Tool)

May 6, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks very much for this, Joe. I really appreciate it. I've tried some recent David Bowie and the Heavy, plus some classical stuff. Sounds like they may be faulty.

Thanks again for taking the time to help. Much appreciated! :D

May 7, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 14
Hey.

did you make sure that the cable at the headphone side was or is properly seated? Pushed all the way in until you hear or feel it click?

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #9 of 14
Check that you have the right end plugged into the headphone; I made that mistake when I got a loaner PM-3 and it had terrible sound on only the right side. Apparently the cable is one-way; once I switched ends, it sounded great. 

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #10 of 14
  Check that you have the right end plugged into the headphone; I made that mistake when I got a loaner PM-3 and it had terrible sound on only the right side. Apparently the cable is one-way; once I switched ends, it sounded great. 

Cables should never be one-way... unless it's a mic cable which has a different pinout on the control end.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 14

Cables should never be one-way... unless it's a mic cable which has a different pinout on the control end.

It looks like Audioquest begs to differ: "Directionality: All cables are directional, from hardware store electrical cable to the finest pure silver cables. All AudioQuest cables are marked for direction. With other cables it  might be necessary to simply listen to the cables in one direction and then the other. The difference will be clear-in the correct direction the music is more relaxed, pleasant and believable. While cable directionality is not fully understood, it is clear that the molecular structure of drawn metal is not symmetrical, providing a physical explanation for the existence of directionality."
Taken from their website: http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/aq_cable_theory.pdf
tongue_smile.gif

If your system sounds bad using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable try to use the cable the other way around. Sure as hell it will improve the sound.
biggrin.gif

/Trolling

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 14
"...in the correct direction the music is more relaxed, pleasant and believable."

And...you won't hear a voice saying "Paul is dead" in the first movement of Beethoven's "Pastorale" Symphony.

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 14
  Taken from their website: http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/aq_cable_theory.pdf
tongue_smile.gif

If your system sounds bad using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable try to use the cable the other way around. Sure as hell it will improve the sound.
biggrin.gif

/Trolling

As a guy with a degree in metallurgy... I need to strangle somebody now...

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 14
Hi,

What are your guys' opinions of the PM-3?

The reason I ask is I've recently bought a pair (my third set of proper headphones). Started off with Beats Studio but upgraded to a Denon D2000 years ago. The Beats were fine, but the Denons were stunning - very nice clarity and clear sound contours.

Surpringly, the PM-3 had a huge amount of distortion compared to my previous phones. Did anyone else find this? I can barely hear the individual instruments and there's a real tinny quality to the sound. My 15 year old car stereo has more clarity!

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

You have a defective unit. The Oppo PM-3 certainly should not sound distorted. It has a very rich, full sound. Exchange/repair them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back