OPPO HA-1: Opinions needed
Apr 14, 2014 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

elvergun

Headphoneus Supremus
Tax refund time is here...and I've convinced myself to put some of that money to good use.

I was almost ready to buy a used Phonitor, but then I came across the soon to be released HA-1.   Would you guys wait until impressions of the HA-1 come out, or do you believe that the Oppo will not be able to compete with the Phonitor? 

Another option is to save more money and buy a Phonitor 2. 

I'll be mainly using this amp with the HD800.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 9
elvergun"/t/714641/oppo-ha-1-opinions-needed#post_10458553 said:
 Tax refund time is here...and I've convinced myself to put some of that money to good use.

I was almost ready to buy a used Phonitor, but then I came across the soon to be released HA-1.   Would you guys wait until impressions of the HA-1 come out, or do you believe that the Oppo will not be able to compete with the Phonitor? 

Another option is to save more money and buy a Phonitor 2. 

I'll be mainly using this amp with the HD800.

Same boat here. I am buying the HA-1 when it becomes available as a dac, but hoping it will be a stellar amp to boot. The Phonitor just didn't do it for me with my HE-4 and hd800, so my plan is to eventually get the Phonitor2 in a couple years and add crossfeed to the chain. If you just need the amp portion on the Phonitor, you may consider either a used Auditor (no crossfeed plus preamp) or the new Phonitor Mini (limited crossfeed settings and no preamp option).

If you've waited this long, you can probably hold off for a few more weeks until the reviews are released. Currently, the US reviewers are on NDA. The Phonitor2 has some pretty positive feedback at this point. So unless you can get a killet deal on a used Phonitor, I would hold off until more info floods in.

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 9
Same boat here. I am buying the HA-1 when it becomes available as a dac, but hoping it will be a stellar amp to boot. The Phonitor just didn't do it for me with my HE-4 and hd800, so my plan is to eventually get the Phonitor2 in a couple years and add crossfeed to the chain. If you just need the amp portion on the Phonitor, you may consider either a used Auditor (no crossfeed plus preamp) or the new Phonitor Mini (limited crossfeed settings and no preamp option).

If you've waited this long, you can probably hold off for a few more weeks until the reviews are released. Currently, the US reviewers are on NDA. The Phonitor2 has some pretty positive feedback at this point. So unless you can get a killet deal on a used Phonitor, I would hold off until more info floods in.

Thanks for the info. 

I did some more reading on the Phonitor and it does not seem to be a good match with the HD800.  

I'll wait to read some reviews of the amp section of the HA-1.  I think that as a DAC it will be pretty good.

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks the info. 

I did some more reading on the Phonitor and it does not seem to be a good match with the HD800.  

I'll wait to read some reviews of the amp section of the HA-1.  I think that as a DAC it will be pretty good.

It's not that the HD800 and the Phonitor don't match up, it's more a combo of the HD800's pickiness and that SPL is a reference equipment that creates an incredibly uncolored presentation. Without a warm dac, the Phonitor will show the HD800s true colors (sorry for the pun). In my experience, with this setup, flaws within a recording will be emphasized. You really have to like an analytical presentation... or only listen to high res, well recorded music.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 9
Recent review for PM-1 revealed the price of HA-1: $1,195

With DAC and balanced headphone out, it's a heck of deal.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 9

Agreed.  The HA-1 is very tempting.  I'm hoping the amp section is going to be great (not just good).

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 9

Can you link the review? There's been a lot of chatter about the HA-1 but no official announcements yet, to my knowledge.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/headphones-and-earphones/headphones-and-earphones-reviews/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-over-the-ear-headphones.html

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 9
I am wondering at the size of the unit. Seems slightly large so hopefully amp section will have power.
Edit:
I hope it has enough to drive an he6..
Then it can drive anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back