Open-back, bassy (think TH900) yet mostly Harman target aligned headphone for around 2K?
Aug 14, 2020 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dmcs414

100+ Head-Fier
I've been out of the game for awhile. Where do I go these days for an open-back, bass-forward (think TH900) but mostly Harman target oriented headphone for around 2K? Whether achieved out of the box or with EQ, please specify. Will generally be played with RME ADI-2 DAC and a solid amp of one sort or another; power not an issue. Many thanks!!

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 10
I've been out of the game for awhile. Where do I go these days for an open-back, bass-forward (think TH900) but mostly Harman target oriented headphone for around 2K? Whether achieved out of the box or with EQ, please specify. Will generally be played with RME ADI-2 DAC and a solid amp of one sort or another; power not an issue. Many thanks!!
Audeze seems to be the best in open back bass these days. LCDX or maybe even their higher end models could be had around 2K. I have the LCD2C...I just prefer closed backs though I think.,..

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Audeze seems to be the best in open back bass these days. LCDX or maybe even their higher end models could be had around 2K. I have the LCD2C...I just prefer closed backs though I think.,..

I had an Audeze LCD-2 at one point, I believe it was the pre-Fazor version. This would have been about 2013 if I recall correctly. I don't recall being able to get much slam out of it, although the texture and quality of the bass was indeed nice. I think when I tried to raise the bass up a few dB it still didn't produce the dynamics and slam I was looking for, but it seems like I keep hearing people say it can be done effectively with versions such as the LCD-X or LCD-4. Yay/nay? What about these other planars I keep hearing about?

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Hard slamming bass is still very much in the realm of dynamic transducer-land.
Even Focal Clear punches harder than pretty much all planars I've heard... and it's open-back... maybe even the bassiest open back headphone around.
Clear is very easy to recommend for 'high quality' bassheads.

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 10
Combination of highend, bass slam, open and harman target is pretty hard to find. Would be interested too if there is any headphone out there that fullfills all 4 of those. I don't know any.

Aug 15, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 10
LCD-2C is a great pair of cans and a great value. No obvious weakness in the price range. And, can be driven extremely well right out of the RME, no separate amp required for these.

Warmth, slam, good detail. Smooth...

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 10
LCD-2C is a great pair of cans and a great value. No obvious weakness in the price range. And, can be driven extremely well right out of the RME, no separate amp required for these.

Warmth, slam, good detail. Smooth...

I owned a pair of LCD-2s (the pre-Fazor original type) back around 2013, are those essentially the same as the LCD-2C?

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 10
I owned a pair of LCD-2s (the pre-Fazor original type) back around 2013, are those essentially the same as the LCD-2C?

I think the sound is significantly different but I never hear the 2s so I can't say for sure. Also in 2013 they didn't have the good headstrap the newer ones have now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back