Open Air CD Transports
Jun 15, 2008 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wower

1000+ Head-Fier
Here is a pressing questions for the boards: What are the differences between a traditional CD transport enclosed in darkness and some of the newer designs left open to the air so-to-speak? To elaborate, I read an article awhile back about how Burmester, the teutonic German manufacture, went to great lengths to seal their transports from light. Makes sense considering a laser is at work in there. However, there are numerous (of what I consider) reputable manufactures that use open transports, Shanling and 47 Labs are the only ones that come to mind at the moment but I've seen others. I'm guessing they aren't completely daft but must know something I don't. Does anyone have any input on this?

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 10
Thats an awefully good question. I would highly doubt that the open air units are that way for any sort of technical reason except MAYBE the idea that reflections wont find their way back to the laser pickup. Just lost out in never never land.
Nakamichi was the first to go all out on a completely sealed transport mechanism. And it did make a difference. Having the door sealed shut was a minor but better.

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 10
I personanlly see more merit in the Naim CD 555 light tight enclosure philosophy than I do see in the open-to-the-light rotation design of other flagship CD transports. What difference it makes in practical tersm I do not know, although if anyone with a CD555 wants to let me have a listen I will not be objectionable.

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 10
Hmmm. Well, thanks for the replys. I guess I've broached a subject too esoteric for even head-fi. I'll keep my fingers crossed someone in the know will pipe up.

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #5 of 10
Suppose you could experiment by shining a flashlight into a CD player while it's playing. That should tell you whether it makes any difference. Or if you have a cheap player around, pop the top and try covering/uncovering the transport to determine if you hear a difference.

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 10
I can't remember the brand, but years ago a highly-acclaimed manufacturer released a player with a glass window on the transport...so you could see the disc spinning around as it played. At it's press debut, the CD skipped every time someone took a flash photo.

This may not plague the current crop of "open air" transports, but I'd stick with the old-fashioned "closed door" variety myself.

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 10
Was it the Krell KPS-25?
It was a pretty good unit but its acrylic top didnt last long in the market place.

Jun 17, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't remember the brand, but years ago a highly-acclaimed manufacturer released a player with a glass window on the transport...so you could see the disc spinning around as it played. At it's press debut, the CD skipped every time someone took a flash photo.

This may not plague the current crop of "open air" transports, but I'd stick with the old-fashioned "closed door" variety myself.

And that's exactly what I'd imagine would happen if light was an issue, the music would start to drop out, not degrade gradually.

I see so many open and non-open CDP's these days, I imagine it doesn't make much difference, or today's designs aren't nearly invulnerable to ambient light as before. And if the two are equal, I know which one looks sexier
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 10
The new Musical Fidelity A1008, Bel Canto CD-2 are all using open-air design. And they are not open air in order to be cheap. I have a CD-2. I haven't tried to put it in a black box but it does sound very good as is. Initially I was worried about dust and scattered light but I have encountered no problems at all.

F. Lo

Jun 17, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 10
As someone who does microscopy for a living, I can't imagine it's a good idea to "leave the lights on". The reflected light signal must be so strong that any ambient light doesn't make too much of a difference. Just the same, the clear glass is probably only done for style points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back