opamps for I/V stage
Apr 22, 2007 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

d-cee

Headphoneus Supremus
hi all,

first of all i am quite a newb, and i don't even know what I/V stands for or what it's purpose is. i do know that the signal passes through it before going to the class-a power stage inside my heed canamp

i also do know that different opamps used in the I/V stage of my Heed Canamp affect the sound differently

from my reading of the DIY forums I have read that opamps aren't very good for I/V however, in the canamp it has been implemented this way and sounds quite good to me!

of my understanding some opamps are better than others for the I/V stage. so far i've tried the DY2000, AD823, LM4652, OPA2107, OPA2111, OPA2604 and that is the order of my preference

I am thinking of maybe ordering some opamps for playing around, though i'm not sure what are desirous qualities for an opamp for use in the I/V. things like slew rate, input impedance, output current, current draw etc. are way over my head and above my understanding

so, what opamps are out there that people have had positive expeiences specifically in the I/V stage of their amp/DAC, not the output stage as from my limited understanding these require different properties to perform well

Thanks in advance!

-dave

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 3
Your canamp does not have an I/V stage but a voltage gain stage that is done by using an opamp. AFAIK an I/V stage is a current to voltage conversion stage mostly used after a DAC chip that has current outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back