Oops! RIAA Sues A Woman Who Doesn't Own A Computer
Jun 26, 2009 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DrBenway

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The good folks at the RIAA have really topped themselves, if this post from Gizmodo is to be believed. It seems that Universal Music sent the usual extortion threats to a woman who they accused of file sharing. Problem? The woman didn't own a computer.

The victim brought suit against the RIAA, and they have just settled the case, again according to Giz. Did they offer an apology? What do you think?

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 17
and I thought the RIAA lawsuits couldn't get any more ridiculous after the last one... but honestly, who doesn't have a computer?

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and I thought the RIAA lawsuits couldn't get any more ridiculous after the last one... but honestly, who doesn't have a computer?

Good question. I don't know how I would function, honestly...

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

old people
poor people
(really) stupid people
imprisoned people
naturalist/survivalist people
Luddite people
Amish people
and so on
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

I do not have a computer at home.
I work on a computer all day long, the last thing that I want to do when I get home is go right back on one!

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 17
that's the only solution innit... sue them back (with maximum publicity). organizations like that get so big & blinkered with collecting money that they feel they are justified in bullying people regardless of wether they owe them or not! the TV license people used to do that to blind people. so they deserve all the ridicule and more!

Jun 27, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nvkid909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the TV license people used to do that to blind people. so they deserve all the ridicule and more!

Are you kidding? That sounds like a Monty Python skit (not that I doubt you, but really...)!!

Jun 27, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

... but honestly, who doesn't have a computer?

To add to Iron_Dreamer's list:

Technophobes.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 17
" MediaSentry incorrectly pinpoints IP addresses with not uncommon frequency "

I mean, is that something or what! If someone dont use comp how you can trace IP to his address LOL !

I can understand if someone got THAT particular IP too often after reconecting Internet Connection [you must be on Dial-Up - also this particular person with Dial-Up must be THAT stupid or something to share files on Dial-Up speed] - but this is just bizare ...

Someone should get a gooood lawyer and shake some money out of RIAA and Internet provider ...

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Roy mounted a case and UMG was forced to settle out of court, for fear that any decision at all would result in a precedent that could mean future suits could be thrown out as well.

If it had been someone I knew who didn't have a computer (how did she have an ip address though?) I would have encouraged them not to settle at all for the above reason.

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #15 of 17
That is quite lame!
But perhaps she used someone else computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back