ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 30, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #11,866 of 16,326

I would strongly suggest not doing that.  You will damage you headphones.  Balanced is in the wiring of the headphones and has little to do with the jack.  Adapters for unbalanced cannot change the wiring for balanced.  You can destroy your headphones by doing this.  Please be careful.

Sorry, maybe i didn't ask my question clear enough. Actually my phone (to be exact is LCD2) can take both balanced and unbalanced cable (i have both cables).

Previously i was using balanced cable to DP-X1. Later i acquired a Chord Mojo together with 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. Sometimes i will just listened to d DP-X1 alone (in balanced) and sometimes with Mojo (in SE), so for the convenient sake, i can use the same cable with adapter without the needs to change cable.

Usually don't post, but I think this needs clarifying. @mox123 you are correct (as long as I am reading this correctly).  Here's a short guideline. 

1. Headphones - If your headphone is balanced, you can use it with either a balanced or "single ended" amplifier, using appropriate adapters. 

2. Amplifiers - If your amplifier is balanced, then your headphones must be as well. IF your amplifier has a single ended output, you can use your single ended headphones into that jack only. (Keep in mind the SE output of a balanced amplifier is generally recessed in sound quality compared to the balanced output. If you're only using single ended headphones into the single ended output on a balanced amp, maybe its time to balance your headphones or get a different amp).

Quote:

I'm currently using an adapter to convert 2.5 balance to 3.5 unbalanced for Mojo connection. I would like to ask, in long term usage, will it harm either the headphones or amp?

I would strongly suggest not doing that.  You will damage you headphones.  Balanced is in the wiring of the headphones and has little to do with the jack.  Adapters for unbalanced cannot change the wiring for balanced.  You can destroy your headphones by doing this.  Please be careful.

I also recently changed my SE846's cable to balanced and thought of doing that too when I want to connect to other sources that only have unbalanced 3.5mm as that is more favorable than changing the cables every time.

Are there any references to this?

See above.

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #11,867 of 16,326

Sorry, maybe i didn't ask my question clear enough. Actually my phone (to be exact is LCD2) can take both balanced and unbalanced cable (i have both cables).

Previously i was using balanced cable to DP-X1. Later i acquired a Chord Mojo together with 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. Sometimes i will just listened to d DP-X1 alone (in balanced) and sometimes with Mojo (in SE), so for the convenient sake, i can use the same cable with adapter without the needs to change cable.

Usually don't post, but I think this needs clarifying. @mox123 you are correct (as long as I am reading this correctly).  Here's a short guideline. 

1. Headphones - If your headphone is balanced, you can use it with either a balanced or "single ended" amplifier, using appropriate adapters. 

2. Amplifiers - If your amplifier is balanced, then your headphones must be as well. IF your amplifier has a single ended output, you can use your single ended headphones into that jack only. (Keep in mind the SE output of a balanced amplifier is generally recessed in sound quality compared to the balanced output. If you're only using single ended headphones into the single ended output on a balanced amp, maybe its time to balance your headphones or get a different amp).

Quote:

I'm currently using an adapter to convert 2.5 balance to 3.5 unbalanced for Mojo connection. I would like to ask, in long term usage, will it harm either the headphones or amp?

I also recently changed my SE846's cable to balanced and thought of doing that too when I want to connect to other sources that only have unbalanced 3.5mm as that is more favorable than changing the cables every time.

Are there any references to this?

See above.

I just found some generic (Sindax) Stereo 8" 3.5mm right-angle plug to 3.5mm right-angle plug cables for $1.50 each, and some Aluminum housing 2.5mm in-line TRRS jacks for $7.99 (Qty: 10). I'll cut the cables in half, and Solder the wires to the appropriate pins on the jacks (the DP-X1 uses the same pin-out as the A&K units).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #11,868 of 16,326
Just updated my Onkyo HF player,Tidal HIFI and UAPP so we are all up to date. i listened to A Perfect Circle- 3 Libras Acoustic version and it gave me goose bumps on how great it sounded. I have neglected this player for a bit while listening to my newest toy the Opus #1. The Onkyo is indeed a great player!

Oct 31, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #11,870 of 16,326
I was wondering if anyone else is using X-DAP Link on the Mac? If so, is there any way to prevent the software from creating playlists from the folders it is transferring from?

When I sync via X-DAP Link, I have two sections:
1) "Music"
2) "Android"

The "Android" heading lists the folders that I've transferred from. I'd prefer to not have those as playlists.

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #11,872 of 16,326
Review from a Japan user of dp-x1a

It is the first appearance, but lightly crispy and already because it is open information. Yaro I bought you recently DP-X1, it is said. Yes in this way. Marukiri is the same design. You can see, by model number. I What is the difference, in the appearance here. Silver surface with a terminal corresponding to the top surface is black. I've got scratches quite noticeable in Silver street DP-X1 is the look. . . May this be reduced? It might. (More Let's important to handle DP-X1 will have the opportunity to touch the listening station, but I went to listen carrying the foot was impressed also in sound, high-end exceeded the smartphone say the middle class it is no exaggeration to say that even better than the smartphone "goodness of touch sensitivity" and "goodness of color." this has also been confirmed. I do not have changed at all, be very happy to. in this way apparently changed to since there is no, the case is to take over the leather case of Dignis purchased at the time of the DP-X1. is apparently only one real what is reborn to, briefly below because I do not know. This is known very well if DP-X1 users, is a trend or a problem? that is, the earphone jack is likely to be loosely, that. This does not escape so easily have been improved has arrived firmly voice (what my DP-X1 also a loose by earphone, much to be there I leave with the spot moving when I put in a bag pierced, DP-X1A Jack selection? or improved version? or does not understand but, so very hard, well-missing models were also no longer caught! (Kaikae one of the reasons why Once you have from people never heard, most doubt place. body appearance Tsu as price is also up to What do you mean by, but it is on. because the rough and say see manufacturer page, easy-to-understand easily. I listened to in the most high-quality this configuration at hand. now is 2nd generation has been sold, this earphone is the earphone of first base dynamic driver that the United States Campfire Audio, Inc. of Lyra. 1. to clear the sound of voices and instruments, transparency will increase (noise has decreased) This is a thorough review of the circuit, the power supply circuit change of parts (conductive polymer capacitors) I think that it is affecting. This is the "excitement". it is so vary for or with. amazing if Kodaware up here. 2. bass deep up of, now the core is further strongly was I guess the place of this is also just the power supply circuit. capacitance of the capacitor is increased dramatically, ♪ that now stable bass with a space to enjoy (irresistible for lovers of bass minute noise is reduced , sharp I think it was also getting better. for now imbalance and 2.5mm balance of listening to it is about this is know to .3.5mm now, also Toka difference After which also been offered at a great, but I use as much as a week more it might well be seen. troubled that people will recommend a listen at the shop of large-scale retailers and audio professional. This is what picture is worth a thousand words, is. Whether there is investment value is up to the sensibility and your ear. Serious sound creation's Onkyo, yourself to Onkyo's first high-end hybrid type of earphone that out in the next month so a very favorite, I can not be helped in the fun! Since prepared to deal to buy fresh, but does not say things very much about the sound, washout of new entrants manufacturers and can not think (indeed of component audio male), attention to sound, and problems and improve desired point with respect to the previous model that reflect, it is a very good impression as a manufacturer to. Because when out talking Kiri is not, Cheers. We hope to reference even a little.

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #11,873 of 16,326
Picture of a dp-x1a (top) shop purchase unit vs a dp-x1 (bottom)

Is it me or are the jacks of the DP-X1A off-centered?
Based on this picture I would expect the DP-X1A being the bottom unit.....

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #11,874 of 16,326

Is it me or are the jacks of the DP-X1A off-centered?
Based on this picture I would expect the DP-X1A being the bottom unit.....

They're not off-centered, it comes from the darker shadows of the bottom-half circular groove on the top DAP.

This groove looks like its deeper on the top DAP, creating stronger shadows.

A deeper groove may indeed provides less room/lever for the female jack to wobble.

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #11,875 of 16,326

They're not off-centered, it comes from the darker shadows of the bottom-half circular groove on the top DAP.

This groove looks like its deeper on the top DAP, creating stronger shadows.
A deeper groove may indeed provides less room/lever for the female jack to wobble.

Thanks! So it was indeed me, tried to enlarge the picture without luck.
They don't call me Cyclops for nothing
redface.gif

Makes me curious on how the jacks of the XDP-300R are manufactured.

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #11,876 of 16,326
SubSTI: Aren't those just bezels?

elwappo99, @Riley Beale: Thanks for the explanations. Bought a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor today. The seller said it will be wired carefully and made sure it is safe (it is custom made).

By the way, how does one fix their super ultra loose jack? Mine's 3.5mm jack is very very loose. It was only bought recently this year and have been rarely used. It seems that a lot of people got this problem too.

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #11,878 of 16,326
@SubSTI: Aren't those just bezels?

@elwappo99, @Riley Beale: Thanks for the explanations. Bought a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor today. The seller said it will be wired carefully and made sure it is safe (it is custom made).

By the way, how does one fix their super ultra loose jack? Mine's 3.5mm jack is very very loose. It was only bought recently this year and have been rarely used. It seems that a lot of people got this problem too.

You're welcome!  To fix the jack problem people have put some acrylic in the gap to stabilize and some I believe have tried JB Weld.  I would recommend sending the unit back for repair or replacement to Onkyo to not void the warranty if something else goes wrong like the battery that many people have posted about not holding a charge or lasting very long.  That would be your safest bet in getting it done right especially if you are not very experienced with JB Weld or Acrylic application.  Onkyo might also test it for other problems and if they find any fix those as well.  Good luck and let us know what happens!

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #11,879 of 16,326

You're welcome!  To fix the jack problem people have put some acrylic in the gap to stabilize and some I believe have tried JB Weld.  I would recommend sending the unit back for repair or replacement to Onkyo to not void the warranty if something else goes wrong like the battery that many people have posted about not holding a charge or lasting very long.  That would be your safest bet in getting it done right especially if you are not very experienced with JB Weld or Acrylic application.  Onkyo might also test it for other problems and if they find any fix those as well.  Good luck and let us know what happens!

how to contact onkyo for a replacement? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back