ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 29, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #11,851 of 16,328
  I see that a some of you have rooted your devices.  The main reason to root for me would be to get Android 6 installed on it ... Have anyone succeed in upgrading the Android version to the latest? 

I rooted mine, to run ES File Explorer Pro (root) and to install the Xposed Framework, using xposed-v86-sdk22-arm.zip & XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk  (NOTE: XposedInstaller_3.1.apk will install, but fails to run), so that I could use a few different Xposed modules - including AdAway for YouTube & Soundcloud, YouTube Background Playback, and YourTube (allows customizing the YouTube app).

Take Care,
David Baldock

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #11,854 of 16,328
How would you disconnect the iems from the cable?

You cannot disconnect the entire cable.  You must send the entire headphone in for an entire re cable to run balanced.  There is more to in wiring it is not just the plug that needs to be redone.  It is the entire cable.  once you recable for balanced you cannot run single ended again unless you recable the entire headphone again.  This has to do with wiring.  Can somebody more knowledgable please chime in here?

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #11,855 of 16,328
I'm currently using an adapter to convert 2.5 balance to 3.5 unbalanced for Mojo connection. I would like to ask, in long term usage, will it harm either the headphones or amp?

I would strongly suggest not doing that.  You will damage you headphones.  Balanced is in the wiring of the headphones and has little to do with the jack.  Adapters for unbalanced cannot change the wiring for balanced.  You can destroy your headphones by doing this.  Please be careful.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #11,856 of 16,328
I would strongly suggest not doing that.  You will damage you headphones.  Balanced is in the wiring of the headphones and has little to do with the jack.  Adapters for unbalanced cannot change the wiring for balanced.  You can destroy your headphones by doing this.  Please be careful.

Actually it's fine to use an adapter to go from balanced to single ended if wired correctly. It's the other way around, going from single ended headphones in to a balanced headphone jack using an adapter, that will likely short circuit the amp.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #11,857 of 16,328
I'm currently using an adapter to convert 2.5 balance to 3.5 unbalanced for Mojo connection. I would like to ask, in long term usage, will it harm either the headphones or amp?

I also recently changed my SE846's cable to balanced and thought of doing that too when I want to connect to other sources that only have unbalanced 3.5mm as that is more favorable than changing the cables every time.

Are there any references to this?

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #11,858 of 16,328

Sorry, maybe i didn't ask my question clear enough. Actually my phone (to be exact is LCD2) can take both balanced and unbalanced cable (i have both cables).

Previously i was using balanced cable to DP-X1. Later i acquired a Chord Mojo together with 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. Sometimes i will just listened to d DP-X1 alone (in balanced) and sometimes with Mojo (in SE), so for the convenient sake, i can use the same cable with adapter without the needs to change cable.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #11,860 of 16,328
Actually it's fine to use an adapter to go from balanced to single ended if wired correctly. It's the other way around, going from single ended headphones in to a balanced headphone jack using an adapter, that will likely short circuit the amp.

Yes, when I got the adapter from dealer, i was told the same thing. What I wonder, is it bad if doing this long term? Or is jus fine?

Another question, how can I tell whether the wiring is correct though my dealer said is correct.

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #11,861 of 16,328
Yes, when I got the adapter from dealer, i was told the same thing. What I wonder, is it bad if doing this long term? Or is jus fine?

Another question, how can I tell whether the wiring is correct though my dealer said is correct.

If nothing shorted out then the wiring is fine. You take the negative leads from the 4 pin XLR or TRRS balanced plug and connect them to the common ground Sleeve of the jack. The L+ is connected to the Tip and the R+ is connected to the Ring. It's simple really. No, there is no long term issue.

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #11,862 of 16,328
If nothing shorted out then the wiring is fine. You take the negative leads from the 4 pin XLR or TRRS balanced plug and connect them to the common ground Sleeve of the jack. The L+ is connected to the Tip and the R+ is connected to the Ring. It's simple really. No, there is no long term issue.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Can I say if the music playing fine, then the adapter should be ok too? And guess i do not need to worry abt of long term usage.

Oct 30, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #11,863 of 16,328
Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Can I say if the music playing fine, then the adapter should be ok too? And guess i do not need to worry abt of long term usage.

Correct. Enjoy the music. :)

Oct 30, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #11,865 of 16,328
I've got tabs open on AliExpress right now, ordering some parts to make 3.5mm 3-pole Right-Angle Plug (Unbalanced Amp Output) -to- 2.5mm 4-Pole In-Line Socket (Balanced Earphone Input) adapter cables.  It's going to cost less than $20.00 to build 10 short cables (~4" each).

That way, when I don't need the Microphone & Phone Audio Control cable (3.5mm), I can leave the Balanced cables for the DP-X1 (2.5mm) on my Earphones, and still attach them to my phone, or even my Micro iDSD.

Take Care,
David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back