ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 8, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #8,087 of 16,326

See my post #8033, it also has the benefit of protecting the Headphone plug.  I love the fact that it completely protects the player but the previous/next/pause buttons are all accesible.

OK, so basically any case that can take the Samsung Galaxy S line (slightly taller, narrower and thinner than the DP-X1) without being too precisely fitted would do the trick.
I rummaged through my bin of pouches and cases and found a hard-shell case "Kutsuwa Dr. Ion" I bought from a Japanese stationery shop. It's probably meant for use as a first-aid kit, although it has a belt loop. It fits perfectly, with room for IEMs, but has no access to the headphone jacks or controls, it will have to do until I find something better.

May 8, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #8,089 of 16,326
I use the Dignis case but also use this this cheap neoprene case when I'm shoving the player in my backpack - Link

It's a perfect fit for the DP-X1.

When I'm not using the player with Dignis Design LUNO case, and stowing it away by putting into my jeans or Timbuk2 bag, I use this Anker bag that has a special multiple layered wire mesh to stop dust getting in.
Unfortunately, it doesn't cover to the top of the DP-X1 :/

May 8, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #8,090 of 16,326
Great news from Warner Music Group on the MQA front

Hopefully a wider library will be available very soon too

:L3000:  

Yeah dude posted this on FB and Twitter as soon as I found out, though Michael Mercer was well aware for a long time.
News spread quickly!

Stereophile published a more detailed report on the news.

However, I'm with Brent Butterworth's show report that when you demo new high resolution music ideas (MQA isn't exactly a format per se), you need to compare it with other formats.

In either case, WMG, and by extension Atlantic's, partnership with MQA is a big positive step forward for all ^^

May 8, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #8,091 of 16,326
Just received dignis case. It is very nice. Received less than a week in US.

Woo hoo glad you got it!

Enjoy!

To current DP-X1 users how does the DSD conversion tech sound to you?

In short, AMAZING!

I unfortunately cannot do a true comparison of audio quality to that of the new-old-stock native DSD Burr-Brown chip implemented into the gorgeous iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50 that I demoed last year (that and DP-X1 are world's apart).
Also, Native DSD is great and can either be just-as-good, worse or better than DSD to PCM. Remember that with Native DSD you're relying on the conversion solely on the chip, whereas some companies prefer a more robust architecture surrounding and supporting a Delta-Sigma chip via DSD to PCM, or use R2R instead.

There is no winner in any way to do DSD, only implementation is key.

Having said that, DSD via dual ESS SABRE ES9018K2M DAC's sounds PHENOMENAL!

May 8, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #8,092 of 16,326
Guys, for the last few days I've been enthralled by two EP singles from legendary band Radiohead, for their upcoming album TODAY!

Listening via Onkyo DP-X1 in high gain, balanced Active Control Ground mode, using Audeze EL-8 Titanium headphones with DHC Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire balanced cable.

Both songs are simply awe inspiring and immense, but very different from each other.
The latter, 'Daydreaming', has made me cry, and I've listened and poured over the song repeatedly.
Breathtaking.
I strongly urge you all to get the high resolution 24 bit/48 kHz version's of 'Burn the Witch' and 'Daydreaming'.
Watch the videos below to!

'Burn the Witch' store page

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/yI2oS2hoL0k[/VIDEO]

'Daydreaming' store page

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/TTAU7lLDZYU[/VIDEO]

---

Took this from a reddit poster (can't remember link, sorry) but here's today's time release of their new album in various territories/timezones:

7:00 pm BST (British Summer Time).

which means:

8:00 pm CEST (Central European Summer Time)

2:00 pm EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)

11:00 am PDT (Pacific Daylight Time)

11:30 pm IST (India Standard Time)

2:00 am CST (China Standard Time) on May 9th

3:00 am JST (Japanese Summer Time) on May 9th

4:00 am AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time) on May 9th

[Source: WorldTimeBuddy via Reddit]

May 8, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #8,093 of 16,326
Yeah, I'm pumped for the new album, I literally plan on setting my alarm clock for 2:00pm (EST) to wake up and listen to it :)

May 8, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #8,094 of 16,326
  I will not be repurchasing all my music using MQA, I just hope MQA streaming library expands, that is the only time I will care about MQA. 

I agree totally
But I would imagine Tidal et al cannot stream in MQA unless the music they are streaming is licensed if my understanding is correct hence

Great news from Warner Music Group on the MQA front

Hopefully a wider library will be available very soon too

May 8, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #8,095 of 16,326
When I'm not using the player with Dignis Design LUNO case, and stowing it away by putting into my jeans or Timbuk2 bag, I use this Anker bag that has a special multiple layered wire mesh to stop dust getting in.
Unfortunately, it doesn't cover to the top of the DP-X1 :/

well, here's mine
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #8,096 of 16,326
Hello Everyone, long time lurker here and finally took the plunge and ordered the dpx1. Now for some headphones that will take a balanced cable. Any help with recommendations would be greatly appreciated. FYI right now Im using a nad viso hp50 with a fiio x5ii and am looking forward to a big step up with the dp x1. Iam looking for headphones that meet the following criteria:
1) closed back OVER the ear. (no IEM's)
2) Should be able to run in balanced mode.
3) Be fairly portable.
4)Upto 1000$ but can go higher if the they are really special.
Also cable recommendations are most welcome.
Thanks in advance folks, look forward to your suggestions

May 8, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #8,097 of 16,326
  Hello Everyone, long time lurker here and finally took the plunge and ordered the dpx1. Now for some headphones that will take a balanced cable. Any help with recommendations would be greatly appreciated. FYI right now Im using a nad viso hp50 with a fiio x5ii and am looking forward to a big step up with the dp x1. Iam looking for headphones that meet the following criteria:
1) closed back OVER the ear. (no IEM's)
2) Should be able to run in balanced mode.
3) Be fairly portable.
4)Upto 1000$ but can go higher if the they are really special.
Also cable recommendations are most welcome.
Thanks in advance folks, look forward to your suggestions

From my research there are two popular closed back headphone in that price range, will close to it. Mr Speaker Ether C and beyerdynamic T 5 p (2. Generation). I have not had the chance to use them with dpx1 but these two sounded pretty darn good, specially Ether C. I ownethe first generation T5p, it is a true piece of garbage however the second generation really improved on it. 

May 8, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #8,099 of 16,326

Hi, has anybody of you compared the DP-X1 to the Calyx M?
I´m not interested in battery life or digital outputs etc. ... sound is the only thing that matters for me, so can anybody tell me if the Onkyo (balanced mode) beats the Calyx in sound quality?

Thanks!

May 8, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #8,100 of 16,326
I just installed the to be coming Poweramp Alpha - this is different from Poweramp.

Here is the link

The file name is Poweramp-alpha-build-703-uni.apk

For those who may want to try out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back