ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 6, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #8,041 of 16,326
So I just got DP-X1, and I've been listening with the OPPO PM3 from the loaner program. This is a great combo. Tried my Sennheiser HD650's but I found the sound shrill and hollow and required a very high volume setting (135+).

I was really hoping to have my k10's within the next week, but production hit a snag. :rolleyes:

Cant wait to try with balanced as well, think I'll rewire a headphone set tonight and try balanced.

Anyone else tried the HD650 and had the same sound??

The only has I own a the moment are the hd650s. I think they sounded great through se but way better with balanced. In regular balanced I run them around 140-150. Any higher they can get way too loud.

May 6, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #8,043 of 16,326
Thanks,

I'll try them again.

For sure the extra power would help the 650s. I had the PM3 balanced with the DP-X1 and I also thought they had great synergy. Do you have a cable for the 650 that is terminated 2.5mm?

May 6, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #8,044 of 16,326
For sure the extra power would help the 650s. I had the PM3 balanced with the DP-X1 and I also thought they had great synergy. Do you have a cable for the 650 that is terminated 2.5mm?

Thought I had a 2.5 trrs laying around, but didn't :mad:

I ordered some more last night, when I get them I'll rewire one of my HD650 cables to balanced.
Still have to JB weld my 2.5 socket before I start using it, and yes mine is brand new and moves around quite easily!

May 6, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #8,045 of 16,326
  Sorry about my absence, been busy.

Posted this on Facebook and Twitter earlier this week, but here's my post of my Dignis Design LUNO DP-X1 black leather case with red lining (full unboxing and comparison pics with Onkyo's DPA-PUX1 leather case with yellow lining):

---

FINALLY my Dignis Design LUNO DP-X1 leather case in black arrived and and it's GORGEOUS!
Unboxing pics below, as well as comparison pics with Onkyo DP-X1 naked and Onkyo DPA-PUX1 leather case.

I won't be using the plastic screen protector (there are two I think) because I have already applied the superior DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector.

However it is a cool, nice useful extra ^^

YES a dated certificate of authenticity/warranty card! Love these! <3

[size=1em][/size]

[size=1em][/size]
- Left: Onkyo DP-X1

- Middle: Dignis Design LUNO DP-X1 leather case black

- Right: Onkyo DPA-PUX1 leather case

[size=1em][/size]

I consider this a strange one.

I love the Dignis Design LUNO DP-X1 engraved button on leather design. It's killer! :D

Yet it is is inferior to the cut-out DPA-PUX1 leather case, or without case DP-X1, ergonomically for button pressing when device is in a pocket :frowning2:

Will need to get used to this...

This pic is a bit different; the Dignis Design box came with two protection strips for the top of the DP-X1 player. It is a frosty looking strip but it is there to protect the silver metal from jack scratches.
How very thoughtful and a great useful extra!

damn! that dignis case!!! now I want it so bad! :frowning2:

May 6, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #8,046 of 16,326
  damn! that dignis case!!! now I want it so bad! :frowning2:

Dude, I love leather stuff, I have the exquisite WaterField (SF Bags) CitySlicker grizly brown 3DSXL/New 3DSXL case, Filz:STUECK RUM DIARY brown phone wallet with grey wool interior for Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, 2x Lamy leather pen/pencil cases, etc.

NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, beats the Dignis Design leather case, in quality, subtleness, workmanship and pure aesthetics.
My WaterField game case comes close but the leather on that is more hard wearing, patinas and a tad rougher, which is perfect for travelling in my bag and as a gaming case.
However by close I mean close to what I own in premium leather products.

The Dignis Desgin is magnitudes of higher quality than anything I have ever seen, and possibly the Astell & Kern leather cases for AK380 Copper is the closest in real competition.

I can't stop caressing it... <3

However, there is a small issue; the button side of the case, as beautiful as the engraving is, is not thin sided, or has indentations in the interior lining button side. Pressing this side of the leather to activate buttons requires a heavy press. I guess over time this will get easier, but as I usually set-and-forget(ish) my DP-X1 playing album after album in Stand-alone mode, I hardly use the buttons.

YMMV.

I recommended to others to get the official Onkyo DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector as a mandatory purchase.
I now believe the Dignis Design Luno case is a near mandatory purchase, or extremely high recommendation, to seriously use with the DP-X1.
It elevates the product to another class of beauty and awe, and feels GOOOOOORGEOUS!

More than anything, it looks official, and continuously eschews quality.
The official Onkyo DPA-PUX1 is, in my opinion, NOT worth the purchase at all.

Sorry about your wallet 
wink.gif

May 6, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #8,047 of 16,326

Dude, I love leather stuff, I have the exquisite WaterField (SF Bags) CitySlicker grizly brown 3DSXL/New 3DSXL case, Filz:STUECK RUM DIARY brown phone wallet with grey wool interior for Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, 2x Lamy leather pen/pencil cases, etc.

NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, beats the Dignis Design leather case, in quality, subtleness, workmanship and pure aesthetics.
My WaterField game case comes close but the leather on that is more hard wearing, patinas and a tad rougher, which is perfect for travelling in my bag and as a gaming case.

The Dignis Desgin is magnitudes of higher quality than anything I have ever seen, and possibly the Astell & Kern leather cases for AK380 Copper is the closest in real competition.

However, there is a small issue; the button side of the case, as beautiful as the engraving is, is not thin sided, or has indentations in the interior lining button side. Pressing this side of the leather to activate buttons requires a heavy press. I guess over time this will get easier, but as I usually set-and-forget(ish) my DP-X1 playing album after album in Stand-alone mode, I hardly use the buttons.

YMMV.

I recommended to others to get the official Onkyo DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector as a mandatory purchase.
I now believe the Dignis Design Luno case is a near mandatory purchase, or extremely high recommendation, to seriously use with the DP-X1.
It elevates the product to another class of beauty and awe, and feels GOOOOOORGEOUS!

Sorry about your wallet :wink:

I'm going to second the rave reviews for the Dignis Luno Onkyo DP-X1 case. I just received mine on Wednesday and it takes the DP-X1 to another level in terms of comfort and ergonomics. 

I'm currently using their included screen protector, just because I think the price of the DPA-GL033 is a bit ridiculous. If they release a version for sale in the US, I'll obviously go for it...but $45 for a screen protector. Eh. I'm not even great at installing them, so with my luck I'd mess up and be out $45. 

Now my question is, if I do want to change out screen protectors, or treat the leather case, etc... how do I remove the DP-X1??? It's such a snug fit, I'm worried that I could potentially crease or widen the case...

May 6, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #8,048 of 16,326

I'm going to second the rave reviews for the Dignis Luno Onkyo DP-X1 case. I just received mine on Wednesday and it takes the DP-X1 to another level in terms of comfort and ergonomics. 

I'm currently using their included screen protector, just because I think the price of the DPA-GL033 is a bit ridiculous. If they release a version for sale in the US, I'll obviously go for it...but $45 for a screen protector. Eh. I'm not even great at installing them, so with my luck I'd mess up and be out $45. 

Now my question is, if I do want to change out screen protectors, or treat the leather case, etc... how do I remove the DP-X1??? It's such a snug fit, I'm worried that I could potentially crease or widen the case...

Unfortunately you will need to use the butt of a ballpoint pen and push the DP-X1 from the USB connector opening (as long as the surface area of the object you use is wider than the Micro-B port, you're ok). This is especially true for those who prefer to do drag-and-drop on MicroSD cards (me).
If you're careful, you won't crease the leather badly or at all. Be very gentle, k?

As for the protector, it's nice that Dignis Design includes free plastic ones, and they are cool. However the official Onkyo DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector IS the best tempered protector I have ever seen or used. That $45 (excluding shipping and taxes) is because it is actually worth that much. However, what it is worth to another individual is not my place to say, or force.
I think it's awesome, and glad I got it potentially cheaper as part of my overall order for the DP-X1 via PriceJapan.com.
I do echo the fear of installation, I did mess up my first one on my then faulty DP-X1 unit, but via warranty, PriceJapan, and the graciousness of Onkyo JP, the latter supplied me with a brand new DP-X1 and DPA-GL033; I installed the second one perfectly!

...I really love the Dignis Design LUNO and my Onkyo DP-X1, so much... <3

May 6, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #8,049 of 16,326

YMMV.

Sorry about your wallet 
wink.gif

I have been using the original case DPA-PUX1 and DPA-GL033 on my onkyo.
I really like that dignis case, but the cover side button, it's makes me think twice to buy it.
because the button in dpx1 already thin I think, so it's gonna be hard to push it, like you said.

May 6, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #8,050 of 16,326

As for the protector, it's nice that Dignis Design includes free plastic ones, and they are cool. However the official Onkyo DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector IS the best tempered protector I have ever seen or used. That $45 (excluding shipping and taxes) is because it is actually worth that much. However, what it is worth to another individual is not my place to say, or force.

I'd agree with this.

And I don't know if it's just luck or not but it's the only screen protector I have ever managed to fit perfectly - not a bubble or speck of dust anywhere. The surface is as good as the native screen - in the Dignis case it's impossible to tell that there's a protector fitted.

May 6, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #8,051 of 16,326
  I have been using the original case DPA-PUX1 and DPA-GL033 on my onkyo.
I really like that dignis case, but the cover side button, it's makes me think twice to buy it.
because the button in dpx1 already thin I think, so it's gonna be hard to push it, like you said.

Personally I prefer to have the case as sealed as possible to prevent dust ingress. I've put a discrete paint pen mark on the front of the case adjacent to the play/pause button and I can find the other buttons in relation to that when I'm looking at the front of the device.

They are still quite easy to push through the leather.

The only restriction is for anyone who likes to feel for the correct button with the player still in a pocket

May 6, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #8,052 of 16,326

Personally I prefer to have the case as sealed as possible to prevent dust ingress. I've put a discrete paint pen mark on the front of the case adjacent to the play/pause button and I can find the other buttons in relation to that when I'm looking at the front of the device.

They are still quite easy to push through the leather.

The only restriction is for anyone who likes to feel for the correct button with the player still in a pocket

yeah, for safety, I choose the dignis case, because it's prevent from the dust.
but I often put my dpx1 inside my jeans or my breast pocket, it's already thick I think.
so it's lil'bit difficult to push the next/previous or play/pause button.

May 6, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #8,053 of 16,326
  yeah, for safety, I choose the dignis case, because it's prevent from the dust.
but I often put my dpx1 inside my jeans or my breast pocket, it's already thick I think.
so it's lil'bit difficult to push the next/previous or play/pause button.

I guess what @Peridot, you (@NPWS), and I could do is put a very thin piece of material on the button interior lining side to give a greater tactile surface area and contact, thus gaining better contextual button responsiveness at lighter presses.
However, I'll just remember to press harder. :p

Also, you could mark/add/modify the outside of the leather button side, so you can create something tactic, and thus know where the buttons are (similar to dots and dashes in braille).
However, I ain't marking my case at all.
If I could find an adhesive transparent dot (similar to rubber feet) that is ultra small, never falls off but also doesn't damage the leather, I'd be all over it and use it. Found nothing thus far :'(

Ditto on making a visual mark as @Peridot has done, which is excellent and smart, but I cannot bring myself to do this (even if you can rub such a mark off)...the leather is just so gorgeous...I can't bear to modify it in anyway even on solutions that cause no damage at all...

Seriously people, unless you actually have a dislike for leather (for very clear obvious reasons that we all should be aware of and respect to those who do), please just get your wallets/purses out and purchase this Dignis Design LUNO case...I'm actually pleading...it really, really, really, is that good.

If you have any other devices that Dignis Design make cases for BUY IT IMMEDIATELY and thank me, and others, later xxx

May 6, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #8,055 of 16,326
Someone broke into my car and installed a new stereo!

Played the Onkyo for 1st time today in my car.  WOW, really amazing!  Connected through the aux with a home made pure copper cable

The bass is unbelievable with incredible depth, and the mids are smooth as silk.

I already appreciated the incredible and dynamic sound of the stock pioneer head unit in my Lexus, this brings it to another level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back