ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 22, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #5,611 of 16,326
Has anyone heard back from Kaneda on the Onkyo DPA-PUX1 leather case?

Btw, Dignis DP-X1 leather case seems to be sold out.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #5,615 of 16,326
The balanced port on then DP-X1 is indeed ginger... Since I applied the Dignis protection film on top of the DAP, there's no more of that teerrible noise happening. The Peterek cable is nicely made indeed and because it is so light and flexible there's virtually no strain on the balanced port. However, there are some serious software or hardware issues with this DAP. The Oppo PM-3 are not exactly hard to drive and can get really loud indeed past 120/160. However, I wanted to see how strong the base can get with the DP-X1 and cranked it up to 150 and briefly to 160 where the distorsion was just unbearable showing the DAP amp reached its limits. The worst thing was that after some 20 seconds, the right channel lost about 20% in volume. I thought something got damaged but after going down to 120 and switching from the Onkyo player to Tidal, everything got back to normal. Before you say that all that could have been due to the headphones, let me tell you that driving the same unit with Mojo was nowhere near bad. The bass was so strong on Rolling Paper and Beyonce's Partition that the cups started floating on my ears :)
So my conclusion is, don't expect DP-X1 to drive your HD800s or other hard to drive headphones, or that it makes your Mojo redundant. Not bad as a standalone solution in balanced mode and driving IEMs or other easy to drive HPs I guess, but don't kid yourself thinking it is a powerhouse.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #5,616 of 16,326
  My DPA-PUX1 was shipped last week

Thanks for the info, I think he forgot all about my order.
Sent in an email to inquire, and got the response that it will ship tomorrow.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #5,617 of 16,326
  Not bad as a standalone solution in balanced mode and driving IEMs or other easy to drive HPs I guess, but don't kid yourself thinking it is a powerhouse.

I doubt anybody will expect it to do that. I am still surprised as I do play my PM3 pretty loud with some pretty bass heavy music and either I don't recognize distortion, or I'm not experiencing it? I can drive the 400i pretty well I think in normal balanced mode, but only with modern, less dynamic recordings of course. I would love to try the Mojo with the Onkyo.

Edit: as my next post reveals, I just used Tidal for that Beyoncé cut Partition, and I agree, at even 144 it starts to distort, but that is LOUD and that song has some crazy bass.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #5,618 of 16,326
   However, I wanted to see how strong the base can get with the DP-X1 and cranked it up to 150 and briefly to 160 where the distorsion was just unbearable showing the DAP amp reached its limits.

Dude, I like it loud, but if you are expecting Partition to hold together at 150 I'm not sure what to say. I have it at 140 now in ACG mode with the PM3 and it is quite loud, and that bass is truly deep and challenging. It should distort at 150, and at full it must sound like absolute ass. I'm not sure what magic the Mojo is doing to keep it clean at similar amplitude? I just moved it to 142 and there is no way I would expect it to be able to handle more volume, that is just unreasonable. I can't imagine anybody really using the PM3, or a similar headphone at this volume much, let alone 150. That would be absolutely nuts. Great song by the way.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #5,619 of 16,326
Follow-up, at 150 the 400i is handling the bass in Partition much better so there is some interaction with the PM3. At 150, now in balanced mode even 150 is as loud as I would put it up. So now I'm going to test with a bass heavy track from Deadmaud5, Slip at 150. Again pretty solid performance. Still yes, I think as we get up there with the DP-X1 the limitations of the amp are going to start to show. Thanks for prompting me to test this out sabloke, it was eye-opening to hear that sick deep bass in Partition. That style of deep, deep rumble must be bloody challenging for equipment! Now when I hear what I call the boom boom boys drive by with the crazy bass (I always feel sorry for their girlfriends) I can only imagine how good the equipment must be to manage those levels.

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #5,623 of 16,326
  What got me worried is not the distorsion but the fact that the right channel dropped in volume so bad. It should not happen, regardless how loud you go, period.

Yes, that seems to suggest there is some issue, but you say it only happens with Tidal? Very odd. By the way, in terms of performance I have to say the 400i is quite a step up from the PM3 across the board. Shame it isn't closed or portable! I had PETEREK make me an adapter to use my PM3 cable with the 400i and I'm quite glad I did. As I said, with the PM3 the song Partition really seemed to challenge the PM3 at anything over 140, distortion was getting evident. The 400i was much better at 150 in balanced mode. All I can say is that based on my brief test I would be more inclined to conclude that the PM3 was the distorting factor more than the amp section (although I'm sure the amp was contributing some distortion).

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #5,625 of 16,326
  My order was 2/15/16 and I haven't heard anything yet.

I'm fairly certain that the 3-day option wasn't available when I placed my order and it said dispatch within 2 weeks.

Never mind my order was placed on the 18th and its already been shipped.  I believe you might have missed it because it would be odd that they offered me the 3 day service on the 18th and didn't have it on the 15th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back