On the superiority of vinyl
Jan 20, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #346 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Girlsound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever heard a 1" two track master? Not a lot of noise masking the small signal there.
smily_headphones1.gif

The 1" masters I used to work with were usually 4 or 8 track masters, but I know what you're saying.

The easiest way to discern the noise on an analogue master is to compound it through generation loss... dub a 15 or 30 ips master to another and another and another... the noise is there and with a few generations, it becomes obvious. This isn't the case with digital. That's not to say that there isn't noise in digital recordings... it's just that it never gets a chance to pile up and become audible.

See ya
Steve

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #347 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Microphones and speakers are analogue devices. The part that picks up the sound and the part that plays it back is always analogue. Digital is just a way to write down the signals on a disk, and as such, it is the equal or better than any mechanical (LP) or magnetic (tape) way of doing the same thing.

See ya
Steve

IMO, digital would be better at reproducing the original recording, as you have the problem of analogue always changing with duplication. For example, when making a LP, a sound engineer would have to cut a laquer disc from the master tape, which would then be used to make metal masters for the final pressed LPs. Each process would alter the sound. I guess some would argue that unless we just keep to safe mediums like hard drives, there can be some data errors/ jitter that makes a digital copy not entirely original to the master. But I would think it would be a lot closer then LP.

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #348 of 847
Quote:

Microphones and speakers are analogue devices. The part that picks up the sound and the part that plays it back is always analogue. Digital is just a way to write down the signals on a disk, and as such, it is the equal or better than any mechanical (LP) or magnetic (tape) way of doing the same thing.

See ya
Steve

For digital you need conversion TO analog, in this segment, the analog signal isn't that analog anymore(jitter etc.) and sounds not like analog anymore...
biggrin.gif
hence the term digital sound and analog sound...

To be exact, there is twice a conversion...from analog(recording) to digital (cd) and from digital( cd) to analog...output to amp and amp to headphone or speakers... In these two conversions analog information is lost!

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #349 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose they do in the sense that all speakers sound the same and all cd players sound the same and undoubtledly most music sounds the same these days...now where did I put my tablets.
tongue.gif

Expressions of relative differences aren't very well understood around here.

The difference between two different sets of speakers is many orders of magnitude above the difference between two amps and even more orders of magnitude above the difference between two CD players. This should be self evident.

See ya
Steve

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #350 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure most people would agree that not all Hi-Fi components sound the same despite anything an engineering specificaction might say otherwise Forums like this would have very few posts.

You underestimate the power of the human imagination. People believe all kinds of things that aren't true. It's no surprise that they should have misconceptions about stereo equipment too.

See ya
Steve

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #351 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since alot of people, not to say most, that digital still doesn't sound as "natural". still a long way to go...
tongue.gif

I think substitute accurate for natural and we could have the basis for a decent poll. I am skeptical about your "most" claim, perhaps here but I doubt it in the wider context. Just compare CD sales to LP sales - that is sales of new pressings not visits to the used LP stores
icon10.gif

For example

http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioM...ndLPsales.html

Jan 20, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #352 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think substitute accurate for natural and we could have the basis for a decent poll. I am skeptical about your "most" claim, perhaps here but I doubt it in the wider context. Just compare CD sales to LP sales - that is sales of new pressings not visits to the used LP stores
icon10.gif

For example

http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioM...ndLPsales.html

See how much record sales have raised those days...alot of people are getting a record player again...they use it next to their cdplayer, so i suppose these people are still "missing" something in a cd/cdplayer.

I also had a few auditions of very expensive audio gear: cdplayer and record player, i would give the record player giving the notch for reproducing the sound slightly softer/more natural then the cdplayer and they were equal in Quality soundwise...i mean that both ahd the same amount of detail etc...but the record player just sounded slighlty less harsh...

You dismiss the fact that alot of people think the cd is more convenient, this has nothing to do with the quality of records...i know people who stick to the cdplayer but recognize that a record can sound better...

Compare the sales of MP3 To the cd sales....cd is better but alot buy compressed music!!!

Jan 20, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #353 of 847
Quote:

You underestimate the power of the human imagination. People believe all kinds of things that aren't true. It's no surprise that they should have misconceptions about stereo equipment too.

See ya
Steve

Especially those people who never tried more expensive cables and imagine these aren't any better.
rolleyes.gif
580smile.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 21, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #354 of 847
Quote:

See how much record sales have raised those days...alot of people are getting a record player again...they use it next to their cdplayer, so i suppose these people are still "missing" something in a cd/cdplayer.

The figures I linked do not support the assertion that LP sales are rising, do you have a source for this ?

Jan 21, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #355 of 847
Quote:

The figures I linked do not support the assertion that LP sales are rising, do you have a source for this ?

There have been lots of articles on this. Especially true in your native UK!

Jan 21, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #356 of 847
Originally Posted by bigshot

See ya
Steve

Quote:

Especially those people who never tried more expensive cables and imagine these aren't any better.
rolleyes.gif
580smile.gif
tongue.gif

Art: Good point. Anyone who says ICs can't make a big difference in sound quality, and who make similar statements denying sound quality differences between sources, amps, etc., should be aware that their false misconceptions are being laughed at by others who know better (from more experience and discriminating tastes).

Jan 21, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #357 of 847
Quote:

For me, not at all. I bought a record player because I can get lots of new music cheaply. There's one junk store where I can get records for $1 each, sometimes less if I buy a lot of them. Further, a lot of these recordings are not available on CD.

For sonics? I think vinyl is pretty good. Sure, it has its drawbacks, but it sounds good. And as long as it sounds good, I'll use it. Because vinyl sounds good does not mean that digital sounds bad. Both are capable of excellent sound quality, which is why I use both. Just wish I could find bargain bin SACDs for $1 a pop, though.

Jan 21, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #360 of 847
Quote:

Numbers ?

Quote:

According to figures from the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), the number of 7in singles sold rose from 178,831 in 2001 to 1,072,608 last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...17/nsing17.xml

And that was just from the first article on a simple Google search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back