On the superiority of vinyl
Mar 13, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #841 of 847
Soundfanz: Suggest you take the trouble to listen to a good digital playback system. What I've said is not controversial in sound engineering circles, it's just a universal "given".

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #842 of 847
Soundfanz: Suggest you take the trouble to listen to a good digital playback system. What I've said is not controversial in sound engineering circles, it's just a universal "given".

I have heard decent digital gear.. Maybe you should listen to a good turntable rig?  To say that it lacks fidelity, doesn't contain all the information, and sounds artificial is utter nonsense. 

That's why vinyl is my first format of choice. Because to me it sounds better.  I'm not wasting any more time responding to you. Happy for you to think as you do. 
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #843 of 847
Soundfanz, what details are you able to tell us about the decent digital sound playback system you refer to? Speakers? Dac? I've spent hundreds of hours in high end hifi shops listening to vinyl sourced systems priced at tens of thousands of dollars. For resolution none have remotely approached a good pair of near field studio monitors of around $4,000 paired with a professional dac of around $2,000 - you're then hearing almost the same as what the mastering engineer heard when they finished the master. But you not only get much more truthful sound for a fraction of the price, you can also save thousands of dollars using digital music streaming services instead of buying vinyl, which wears out, or CDs. Vinyl systems are very wasteful of the efforts of recording artists, wasteful of energy, and extremely wasteful of your hard earned dollars.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #844 of 847
I buy vinyl for the artwork and the experience, not for the sound quality (except if the digital version is brickwalled). The format has its charm and you can like the sound (I do), but I wouldn't call it an accurate representation of the actual music.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #845 of 847
Soundfanz, what details are you able to tell us about the decent digital sound playback system you refer to? Speakers? Dac? I've spent hundreds of hours in high end hifi shops listening to vinyl sourced systems priced at tens of thousands of dollars. For resolution none have remotely approached a good pair of near field studio monitors of around $4,000 paired with a professional dac of around $2,000 - you're then hearing almost the same as what the mastering engineer heard when they finished the master. But you not only get much more truthful sound for a fraction of the price, you can also save thousands of dollars using digital music streaming services instead of buying vinyl, which wears out, or CDs. Vinyl systems are very wasteful of the efforts of recording artists, wasteful of energy, and extremely wasteful of your hard earned dollars.

If your post was so accurate, why do so many people, especially with hi end systems, prefer vinyl?
Why would they spend fortunes on a vinyl rig, and all that that entails, if it was as flawed as you are making it out to be? Vinyl won't wear out if maintained correctly either. Granted.....to get the best out of vinyl, takes considerable effort. . 

I know my turntable/arm/cartridge/phono pre/speed controller etc etc have cost me a pretty penny. In my budget. Why do I spend that money? Because I...and many like myself think that the format sounds better.  Simple. You can throw figures/measurements at me until you are blue in the face. I still think vinyl is the best format I have heard, apart from 15 IPS Reel 2 Reel. 

And  how do you know that good digital will get you close to how the master was supposed to sound like?  Music mastered when? Can't say that there are too many engineers I follow these days.  You're prejudices are showing through too, your arguments are old hat...and unfounded and unproven.

I'm not a newbie at hi fi either, have been into it for over 35 years. I have heard many hi end systems too over the years. In hi fi shops/ audio clubs, and get together's of members of hi fi forums I subscribe to here in Oz.  

So please, you stick with your digital, and I'll enjoy both formats and maintain that vinyl sounds better.. I do enjoy digital by the way. Hence me being a member here. 

Can we move on now?

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #847 of 847

That can't be true, he only lived to 69 years old. B.B. King's entire career, for example, was nearly that long, he started recording in late 1940s and continued performing until 2014. And there are other examples, so I can't see how Amrstrong could be considered the longest recorded artist

Honestly, I think you're probably right. I should have fact checked myself before attacking the keyboard. Not a good habit. A music history professor (in his defense, he is a Yaley) told me that a long time ago, and not only did I probably mix it up, but he's always been a bit out there, and I wouldn't put it past him to just get up and start blowing smoke at the class because he's tenured lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back