On a mission to like jazz
Dec 19, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #1,441 of 5,049

Not really jazz, the blues, Jazz's daddy, with horns arranged (I believe) by Howard Johnson, featuring lots of tuba, digging it on a lazy Saturday morning...

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,442 of 5,049

More "real jazz", but with an ear to pop music. Think Mehldau is fabulous...

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #1,443 of 5,049
I like Mehldau a lot but  I wish he'd venture further outside his saccharine comfort zone more. 

This is one of my favorite of his more recent tracks. It mixes in a little more anger than is usual from him.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #1,444 of 5,049
Is there any trio that can get inside a groove and turn it inside out better than Jarrett, DeJohnette and Peacock?

Check out from 7:30 on. So tight and so loose at the same time. DeJohnette is probably my favorite drummer because he can be so abstract and yet lay down such a tight groove at the same time.

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #1,445 of 5,049
Love Jarret, especially in his "Standards" trios.
Not sure I agree with the "saccharine comfort zone" assessment on Meldhau, but I guess that Is in the ear of the beholder. The usual rap on him I've heard is not that he's not experimental or pushes boundaries, but that he's a bit too clinical for some (not to me, have to say).
Speaking of comfort zones, I have really developed an appreciation of Jarrett, and really enjoy the solo and trio recordings, but "comfort zone" could certainly describe the cushy, gospel tinged simple things he falls back on in his solo recordings. Just sayin'...different strokes, and all...

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,446 of 5,049
Went to see this guy last night in Brooklyn, does Sunday nights at Barbes, fun show, what chops (have to like that Django/gypsie style guitar playing)...

(Wrembel is on the left)

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,448 of 5,049
Dec 21, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #1,449 of 5,049
Hmmm, the strong, silent type, huh?
biggrin.gif

Ha, Ha…I listen to Contemporary/Smooth/Lounge/Chill Jazz and occasionally real Jazz (but like it all) and wanted this thread to be in my top threads so I just posted a period. I'm interested in hearing some different Jazz artists/groups so I want to see what comes up.
some of favorite artists are from FourPlay…I just received their lasted Cd "Silver" which I'm really enjoying!
beerchug.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #1,450 of 5,049
Hmmm...I'm sure there are many who can post on smooth, lounge, that kind of stuff, never been stuff I've listened to much.

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #1,452 of 5,049
Hmmm...I'm sure there are many who can post on smooth, lounge, that kind of stuff, never been stuff I've listened to much.

Thats the problem, I have so much, I'm looking for some different Cd's with various artist (I like those best) but I think I have mostly all of them. 

Hard to make recommendations for someone who has everything...any particular likes or dislikes? Do you mean multiple artist CD;s (like, say, big bands of 1942, tenor saxophonists with beards, Thelonius Monk on the kazoo, or some compilation like that)?

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #1,453 of 5,049
  Is there any trio that can get inside a groove and turn it inside out better than Jarrett, DeJohnette and Peacock?

Check out from 7:30 on. So tight and so loose at the same time. DeJohnette is probably my favorite drummer because he can be so abstract and yet lay down such a tight groove at the same time.

Ordered this cd box a week ago, after listening a lot to their 'Live at the Blue Note' box..What a awesome trio this is..

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,454 of 5,049
Hard to make recommendations for someone who has everything...any particular likes or dislikes? Do you mean multiple artist CD;s (like, say, big bands of 1942, tenor saxophonists with beards, Thelonius Monk on the kazoo, or some compilation like that)?

I have some big band Cd's from way back, but I prefer Smooth Jazz ('80-'90's) various artists so I can get a little taste of each artist then take it from there. I already know who I like, but I don't like much of their newer music, such as Chris Botti/Walter Beasley/Peter White/Bob James/David Sanborne/Euge Groove/Eric Marienthal/Jessy J/Kirk Whalum/Marc Antoine/Brian Culbertson…and the list goes on. So this really the type of Jazz I enjoy. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #1,455 of 5,049
Anyone...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back