On a mission to like jazz
Dec 8, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #1,427 of 5,049

Happy stuff
tongue.gif

just ordered this 3 cd set for less the 4 GBP
eek.gif

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,429 of 5,049
Avishai is a fine musician-he has a clarinet playing sister, Anat, who is also worth checking out.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,430 of 5,049
Avishai is a fine musician-he has a clarinet playing sister, Anat, who is also worth checking out.

@doctorjazz I think you've gotten your Avishai Cohens confused.  Anat's brother, Avishai, is a trumpet player.  The Avishai cited by @headphones1999 who recorded Continuo is a bass player.  I don't think I've heard anything recorded by the trumpet playing Avishai, but own all the known recordings by the bass-playing Avishai, and like them all.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #1,431 of 5,049
You're right, there are 2 jazz playing Cohens. Should have checked my Google facts for which one was playing on this album, For the record, haven't heard everything by the bass playing Cohen, but I have heard a few albums by him, including, if I remember correctly, a high resolution live download, and I've seen him live. He really is a monster player, sort of a Mingus with an Israeli accent...
Cheers. :)
(the unrelated, but also Israeli, Cohen jazz family are worth checking out...)

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,432 of 5,049
You're right, there are 2 jazz playing Cohens. Should have checked my Google facts for which one was playing on this album, For the record, haven't heard everything by the bass playing Cohen, but I have heard a few albums by him, including, if I remember correctly, a high resolution live download, and I've seen him live. He really is a monster player, sort of a Mingus with an Israeli accent...
Cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

(the unrelated, but also Israeli, Cohen jazz family are worth checking out...)

You've seen him?  Wow, I'm jealous!  I've been subscribed to a site (I think it's called "Band in Town", or something like that) to get notification if he's ever in the US.  I would love to see him perform!

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,433 of 5,049
Ok, have to plead brain lock here. I do have a CD by Avishai Cohen, the bassist. And I do have cds by Avishai Cohen, the trumpeter (and his sister). And, I have cds by ANOTHER Israeli bassist, Omer Avital (who is a great bassist and composer). AND, the Israeli bassist and composer i've seen live is Omer Avital, not Cohen. Mea culpa...

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,434 of 5,049
Ok, have to plead brain lock here. I do have a CD by Avishai Cohen, the bassist. And I do have cds by Avishai Cohen, the trumpeter (and his sister). And, I have cds by ANOTHER Israeli bassist, Omer Avital (who is a great bassist and composer). AND, the Israeli bassist and composer i've seen live is Omer Avital, not Cohen. Mea culpa...

No problem, @doctorjazz  Now I'm off to find some Omer Avital tunes!

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,435 of 5,049

Here's a nice one-from YouTube, Omer Avital live, with Avishai Cohen (the trumpet one), nice Afro-Latin vibe...

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #1,436 of 5,049
And the Three Cohens. playing Duke (Yuval is the third, on sax, with Avishai, trumpet, and Anat, clarinet. What a family!)

(let me know if you're Cohen'ed out...:) )

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #1,437 of 5,049
Here's a nice one-from YouTube, Omer Avital live, with Avishai Cohen (the trumpet one), nice Afro-Latin vibe.

Thanks for the earlier "brain lock".  Because of your mention of Omer Avital I've been listening to his recordings all evening - and enjoying them very much!  Apple Music has a great selection of his material.  

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #1,438 of 5,049
Sure thing, I can "brain lock"at any time...if you like this kind of jazz/Middle Eastern/World music mix, another artist to check out is Gilad Atzmon, whose now based in London (I can post some music tonight, now I'm using my phone and heading for work). And, one of the grandads of Jazz/World music, Abdullah Ibrahim, is one of my favorites EVER. Enjoy!

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #1,439 of 5,049

Haven't heard the other Atzmon albums, just this one, really like it, though, never got around to his other recordings. He's a really polarizing character, though, VERY political.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back