OK: HTC Rezound, Droid RAZR, or Galaxy Nexus for Best SQ?
Nov 27, 2011 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Theogenes

Headphoneus Supremus
I've come across a quandry, and I'm going to toss this one out to the greater knowledge of you fine folks to find an answer for myself and future generations! :wink:. I'm simply looking to get an answer to the basic question: of the RAZR, Rezound, and Galaxy Nexus, which one will sound the best for audio? Not which has the best features, design, etc etc-- just audio quality!

A couple of brief opening notes:
-For the purposes of this discussion (not life in general, so don't flame me yet-- just for this thread), let's disregard Beats as a factor. I know it's gotten solid reviews, but it seems to be a DSP-based solution using headsets I wasn't impressed with (iBeats).
-I'd like to keep the discussion focused towards these three devices, not the iPhone or other upcoming devices if possible.
-I realize the internal vs external DAC debate makes for two very different animals, but as it doesn't seem clear which phones (if any) will enable the use of external DAC, let's hear all comers!

So: onwards to the battle!!

Our complicating factors: 

1). I've read that ICS is going to allow USB host mode such that one could plug a USB DAC into the phone and use it-- which would rock. Edge: Galaxy Nexus (and Rezound after it gets the upgrade, supposedly sometime in January). 

2). I've also read that some versions of CyanogenMod already allow for USB host mode, but am not clear on whether it will work w/ USB DACs. Edge: none. 

3). I've had difficulty finding information on what DACs they (specifically the Rezound, which I'm currently leaning towards) use. Supposedly the GN will follow in the footsteps of other recent Samsung phones and forsake the Wolfson DAC for a garbage Yamaha version. Only info I've found so far says the RAZR ST Ericsson CPCAP 6556002 (Source: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola-Droid-RAZR-Teardown/7048/3), which I'm not familiar with. Edge: possibly Rezound or RAZR. 

4). The Rezound is marketed for its music capabilities-- but multiple threads and reviews have now mentioned problems with hissing and static-y audio, regardless of application or headset used, power source, etc. Edge: GN or RAZR. 

5). Audio quality on Android devices is largely related to the music application and the modifications made to the operating system, it seems. Although I've yet to try it, Voodoo sound (for example) seems to get near-universal praise for the improvements it makes to the audio quality of the device, and Neutron MP has been a pleasant surprise. With that said, there is a possibility that some of the updates in ICS could affect the SQ or cause problems with audio s/w. This is a big unknown in general-- ICS could sound better or worse and we just won't know until we get a chance to listen. Edge: who knows? 

These are just a few of the questions I've encountered so far, and there are probably a slew of other ones I haven't even thought of yet. So I'm kind of caught in option paralysis-- what do you think? Which of these bad boys will take home the SQ crown? 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!!

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 20
That makes two of us. I got a chance to play with one briefly, and it certainly LOOKS great (ICS is very sharp), but the proof's in the pudding, as they say. I hope to know what DAC it uses within a couple of days if somebody doesn't know here. If/when I find out, I'll be sure to post it here. That *should* give us some idea, at least :)

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
That makes two of us. I got a chance to play with one briefly, and it certainly LOOKS great (ICS is very sharp), but the proof's in the pudding, as they say. I hope to know what DAC it uses within a couple of days if somebody doesn't know here. If/when I find out, I'll be sure to post it here. That *should* give us some idea, at least :)

According to Engadget, it uses a Texas Instruments TWL6040.

1. Source:http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/20/behind-the-glass-a-detailed-tour-inside-the-samsung-galaxy-nexu/&category=classic&postPage=1

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 20
After reading around, it appears that ICS will support USB DACs out of the box, which is HUGE!!!! Also, I've yet to find out what DAC the Rezound is running, but the initial reviews on blogs and forums seem to be overwhelmingly positive in terms of SQ during songs. (There are a number of ppl who have mentioned various kinds of noise between songs). HTC claims they'll have the Rezound running ICS at some point during Q1 2012, but you'll be SOL on using an external DAC before then. 

This is driving me nuts... If the Rezound uses a halfway decent DAC (c'mon WOLFSON!!!), I think I'll go that direction and just wait until HTC releases ICS to snag a portable DAC/amp for it. If it uses a typically cheap and crappy DAC, I guess I'll (somewhat begrudgingly) go with the GN. 

Anybody else try one of these yet? Any impressions to share with you head-fi brethren? :)

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 20
BUMP!

Although I am not interested in the internal DAC and SQ of the smartphone, only the External DAC support. Lot of expectations from ICS, but still no official confirmations.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 20
I have the Rezound.  If you bypass the the stock player which automatically engages either the Beats audio or the HTC "enhancer," it actually sounds pretty damn good.  I have listened with my Shure SE215's and SRH840's.  Ample power to drive them both with great dynamics (definitely better than my HTC Incredible).  Definitely sounds better than my laptop out, comparable to my Nuforce uDac.  Can't currently find my Ipod Nano 6g nor my Sansa Clip+ to compare.  The Beats buds are crap compared to the Shures and I sold them within a week to a friend who was happy to upgrade from some really cheap buds.  The Beats audio and HTC enhancer sound profiles sound terrible to me.  The Beats cranks up the bass and makes the treble too hot for my ears.  The HTC enhancer seems to muffle the sound just to get you to turn the Beats back on.  I currently use the 3 (cubed) player, which has a cool interface and doesn't mess with EQ unless you want to.  Haven't noticed any problems with hiss.  

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 20
Found my Ipod Nano 6G.  Rezound has better sound quality than straight out of the Nano.  Nano+Fiio E5 about as good, but with static and quite awkward for two such tiny devices.

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
I have the Rezound.  If you bypass the the stock player which automatically engages either the Beats audio or the HTC "enhancer," it actually sounds pretty damn good.  I have listened with my Shure SE215's and SRH840's.  Ample power to drive them both with great dynamics (definitely better than my HTC Incredible).  Definitely sounds better than my laptop out, comparable to my Nuforce uDac.  Can't currently find my Ipod Nano 6g nor my Sansa Clip+ to compare.  The Beats buds are crap compared to the Shures and I sold them within a week to a friend who was happy to upgrade from some really cheap buds.  The Beats audio and HTC enhancer sound profiles sound terrible to me.  The Beats cranks up the bass and makes the treble too hot for my ears.  The HTC enhancer seems to muffle the sound just to get you to turn the Beats back on.  I currently use the 3 (cubed) player, which has a cool interface and doesn't mess with EQ unless you want to.  Haven't noticed any problems with hiss.  

wait how do you bypass the beats audio and enhancer 

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

wait how do you bypass the beats audio and enhancer 

Use other music players like poweramp or player pro, beats audio wont activate.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk

Mar 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
razr sounds meh, ok... just fyi the samsung focus sounds godly, like zune hd at the least 

Samsung focus is known to be horrible. What are you talking about??

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
Samsung focus is known to be horrible. What are you talking about??

oh yeah that was a while ago before I got a good chance to listen to it, Listened to the song sail for the first time.... just got sold, didn't listen to anything else XD. Got another chance to listen, and I don't think their horrible, but I thought they were decent and had more substance than most smart phones I've heard. 

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #15 of 20
I own 2 of the 3 phones the OP listed.  well, I have the droid RAZR and the Nexus S.  I believe the Nexus ONE doesn't have the Wolfson, but the Nexus S sure does......and it's the best source I've ever heard so far.  that wolfson + Voodoo Sound control app.....simply amazing.  

Droid RAZR has good sound and it's loud.  It's certainly better than most cell phones, but it's not as TRANSPARENT as the phones with Wolfson DAC in them.  That's the best way i can describe it.  I have also had the Droid Bionic which is almost the same phone.  I recently went through a flurry of buying and selling phones.  Here are some pics :)  I mainly got started by buying only phones that have Wolfson DACs in them.  I found that the Galaxy S phones were good, but not as loud as the Nexus S. 

Windows Mobile 7 phones like the HTC Arrive and HTC Surround were very loud and clear, but not as clear/transparent/amazing as the Wolfson DAC'd Nexus S.  The Droid RAZR and Bionic were ON PAR with the windows mobile 7 "music phones".  These phones had the built in SRS/Dolby Mobile in them (which I thought was neat, but definitely didn't use b/c it changed the EQ a ton).

I read on these boards someone who preferred his Nexus One (No wolfson) with NO amplification.  I gotta scratch my head on that one.  

Anyway, I read up a little on the HTC Rezound and it doesn't have a Wolfson.  I imagine it has sound on par with the other HTC windows phones like arrive, HD7 and surround.  Not bad... 

I seriously have been amazed with the wolfson + voodoo sound control.  with the 5db amplification from vooodo (along with its other built in tweaks), my Triplefi 10 IEMs sound pretty much the same as my DT880 250ohm.......  Just amazing with awesome sound stage.....!

I am a novice audiophile, so take this with a grain of salt.  but I am also very heart-on-sleeve and very literal when it comes to describing my observations..  hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back